4WD or 2WD with a locker?

Nomad_K

Adventurer
Hi all, my first post in the Toyota section of the forum - apologies if it has been covered before.

A friend helping me look for a new Hilux asked if I'd be interested in a 2WD truck with lockers (ARB or other -air locker) vs 4WD - saving some $ to put towards other mods or an extra trip. Any thoughts?

Spikepretorius

Explorer
x3

You'll always get guys who say they can get from A to B with 4x2 but 1. it's just not the same and 2. it is not eco-friendly to trail surfaces.

viter

Adventurer
I think open diff 4wd is better than locked 2wd because even though technically you end up with only 2 "drive" wheels in both configurations, with 4wd at least one of those wheels is up front where majority of truck's weight is. Also 1 locked rear axle can lead to some funny steering (sliding really) effects compared to open diff 4wd.

That said, I've seen a 2wd locked diff truck go up some incredible rutted and really steep hill that no one thought it could make it up, but it sure took it a lot of momentum, tire spinning, and many tries to get there (plus a driver who knew what he was doing).

If I could I would definitely get 4wd...

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Spikepretorius said:
x3

You'll always get guys who say they can get from A to B with 4x2 but 1. it's just not the same and 2. it is not eco-friendly to trail surfaces.

:iagree:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
For a very large part of my time off road I look at that 4wd lever as a self-rescue lever. If I am the only vehicle I use 2wd exclusively (though sometimes in low range).

Until I'm stuck, then I use 4wd to get unstuck & turned around to backtrack.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
4WD... While 2wd and lockers can go a long way and still be tons of fun (espescialy in the sand) In truly slipery situations and mud, 4wd is infinitely superior. I guess since you're in The pacific/Asia (where are you specificaly out of curiosity) that you're not gonna see alot of snow yeah ;) ? So that's less of a problem, but deep greasy mud and water... You'll like 4wd alot more than your 2WD/locker, and your truck will last longer because you wont have to hammer into everything to keep momentum which in my experience is what you have to do with Prerunner type trucks. Plus, eventualy you can just add a locker to the 4WD and end up with a very capable truck.

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
On my last trip in the Inyos we had a 2WD locked Tacoma in the group and I was amazed at where it got stuck and then had to be towed. Up until then I thought a locked 2WD could do far better.

Get the 4WD!

KG6BWS

Explorer
teotwaki said:
On my last trip in the Inyos we had a 2WD locked Tacoma in the group and I was amazed at where it got stuck and then had to be towed. Up until then I thought a locked 2WD could do far better.

Get the 4WD!

alot of that is the drivers skill. ive had my 2wd with elocker places that i, and others, didnt think it would go. as to the op's question. get a 4wd. while i love my truck, and have no regrets, i would get 4wd if i could. in fact im in the process of converting mine. driving around with a locked 2x takes some getting used to. as someone said above, it produces some really interesting steering characteristics. some of which can soil your pants in the right circumstances. it also can be hard on the truck. my last trip out, i blew my shocks out cuz i had to take a running start at a hill. i made it but 4wd would have been a whole lot easier. i agree that it depends on what you want to do with it. if youre expecting to run class 3 or 4 trails, youre going to be disappointed. heavy mud, youll be disappointed. as was mentioned also, its not as eco friendly as a 4wd can be. there are times when i have to use wheel spin and momentum to get thru stuff, especially mud.

when i bought my truck i didnt have a whole lot of choice (financially), i was just happy to get what i did. but if i could do it over again, i would definately get 4wd. if you have the choice, go 4x. hope this helps.

astateofmike

Observer
I have been told that 4x2 and a good winch will get you anywhere a 4x4 will go, in time.

Locker on a 4x2? For strip or street or steer by throttle. If you are getting it for such a price it is unbelievable, get it. Something is better than nothing...then just wait to pull that locker off and put it into the new 4x4...

Nomad_K

Adventurer
Wow!

To all - thank you :bowdown: ! The consensus makes the decision pretty straightforward.

RE location - I am based in Thailand but do a bit of travel around the region. Whenever I visit a new city here or in a neighboring country I hear about beautiful places to visit that are only accessible with 4wd.

RE intended use - moderate off road use (run on the highway + a day on mixed dirt roads and trails at the end of it all) as opposed to rock-crawling on long weekends and the occasional 1-2 week expedition as time permits. I will definitely see more mud than snow, especially during our rainy season :sombrero: .

Thanks again and once I settle on a ride and get it on a decent trail I will be sure to post a few pics!

PS - I can start another thread if need-be but since you guys were so helpful... I had a follow-on question. To gain a bit of extra clearance on a later model Hilux, I've had two recommendations and some sage advice would be most appreciated:
1. 32 in tires, small body lift, proceed to the great outdoors.
2. Shocks (insert favorite brand) all around with new springs (or coilovers) up front and leafs in the rear.

KG6BWS

Explorer
astateofmike said:
I have been told that 4x2 and a good winch will get you anywhere a 4x4 will go, in time.

Locker on a 4x2? For strip or street or steer by throttle. If you are getting it for such a price it is unbelievable, get it. Something is better than nothing...then just wait to pull that locker off and put it into the new 4x4...

my trd tacoma comes stock with the electric locker, and its 2wd. and i guarantee itll surprise you on where it could go. i can get it to some pretty out of the way places. as to going anywhere a 4x can go...i do have a winch, but as someone else says...its an unacceptable level of damage to the truck and the environment. i use the locker all the time. lots of places i go that i couldnt without the locker.

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
two words

low range

coming from somebody who converted a locked 2wd truck to 4wd and i have now f&r lockers and a truck with broken tcase (long story and may make another thread)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan