4x4 with good (20+) gas mileage

john difool

Observer
Howdy all,
as a LR discovery 1 pilot, I want to/have to downsize. I'm trying to find me a new ride. Criteria: good gas mileage and a locking differential. I want to go camping in the rockies nothing much tougher than the engineer pass. No rock crawling stuff. I'm going lightweight, so horsepower and loading capacity is not an issue.
Any suggestions?
Thanks and greetings,
john difool

nickw

Adventurer
john difool said:
Howdy all,
as a LR discovery 1 pilot, I want to/have to downsize. I'm trying to find me a new ride. Criteria: good gas mileage and a locking differential. I want to go camping in the rockies nothing much tougher than the engineer pass. No rock crawling stuff. I'm going lightweight, so horsepower and loading capacity is not an issue.
Any suggestions?
Thanks and greetings,
john difool

A tacoma would get you close to those requirements right out of the box. My 01 with the v6 gets a consistent 20-21 mpg on the highway, 22+ really babying it.

If I had to go lightweight expo rig I would pick up a clean samurai and drop in a VW diesel using the Acme Adapters kit.

http://www.acmeadapters.com/

Bolt on some protection and some 30x9.5 tires and you are set, should also return 30+ easily, not to mention be a sub $8,000 build when all is said and done.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
My v6 4runner can get 20MPG on the highway. It has ATRAC and a CDL, I'm sure it would suffice.

maximumrob

Adventurer
Why not a really old, tired Samurai? It's cheap, slow, ugly, not all that safe, and probably not reliable, but back then, automakers knew how to make a 4WD get decent mileage.

Throw a locker in the rear and some mud treads on it and there isn't much you can't do.

6Pins

Adventurer
My Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon has locking front and rear diffs out of the box and I average 21 MPG on my daily 45 mile commute.

You can also get a rear-locker only on the Sahara, not sure if they offer the options on an X.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
tacoma w 2.7 motor. You should get mid 20's if you stay with factory gearing and upgrade your tread. I could not imagine to many trails that set up could not do.

maximumrob

Adventurer
6Pins said:
My Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon has locking front and rear diffs out of the box and I average 21 MPG on my daily 45 mile commute.

You can also get a rear-locker only on the Sahara, not sure if they offer the options on an X.

That is the exception, sir! The rule is generally a LOT less than that.

john difool

Observer
Hey,
thanks for the feedback.
I usually travel just with my (close to lightweight) wife and a just a bit more than a backpacker would carry.
When I was on my camping trips in the LR, I had more then once not all four wheels on the ground and without the differential lock engaged, i would not have made it outta these spots without sweat and hassle.
Our other car is a subaru impreza outback sport. Living in the heart of the black hills of south dakota - i just love what that thing can do - especially with that gas mileage it gets - but soobs, without a diff lock just not work for me in the rockies.
So i had an eye on some suzukis -but- cruising trough the rockies is one thing getting back and home in a suzuki... how is your guys and gals experience with making miles in a suzuki?
Also the rav4 seems an reasonable alternative - but will he get me out of harms way when one tire is off the ground?
Tacoma's are "close to perfection" in my point of view but the gas mileage is still not where I would like to see it.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Rav4's are similar to my wife's CR-V. Ideal city vehicle, ok for gravel, not at all designed for off-road. No flex, very road bias traction control, no limited slip or locking diffs. I would place it in the same capability league as your Outback, maybe even giving your Outback the edge.

With that said, a few members have pushed to the limits and fell in love with the Honda Element. The pop-top camper conversion that can be done is especially slick. I am sure they will chime in with their opinion soon or just do a search for Element.

Pete

6Pins

Adventurer
maximumrob said:
That is the exception, sir! The rule is generally a LOT less than that.

Actually that's pretty close to what all the stock JK's get in my local jeep club (and the pool was about 20 JK's). We did a survey a little while back and that was the norm. I was surprised too.

john difool

Observer
ok - rav4 is off of my list.
suzukis are still on there - but I think I'm just to stiff and old to spent half my holidays in one.

element.. hm.
...and what is the real advantage of a rooftent? it's fancy and sweet to have your bed already halfways done at all times, but I think it just extra weight and uses up cargo space.

I guess i keep leaning towards a 1. gen tacoma xtracab. dunno which engine yet tho.
Any tip where I can find real world mpg's on tacoma's?

and btw: i moved here from germany 4 years ago - thats why I keep reading german news and stuff... one of the biggest campers/camping/tourist/travel fair in europe starts tomorrow. here's a link to their website. maybe some of you find it interesting.

have a nice weekend everybody.

Last edited:

slosurfer

Adventurer
Might not be your cup of tea and kind of hard to find: 87-89 Toyota Van 5sp 4wd

I use mine for work and it consistently gets 20.5-22 mpg around town and it is always loaded with tile and tools. I averaged 26ish mpg driving it home from CO and it wasn't even running good then. It has 210,000miles on it now.

The rear is a 7.5" ring gear and can be locked with a variety of lockers, ARB, aussie, lockright, etc... or a LSD from a supra will also fit in there.

Here it is on a local trail that is a black diamond, but really it should be a really difficult blue diamond trail.

IMG_7543.jpg

IMG_7689.jpg

Like I said, may not be your cup of tea, but it fits the criteria.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears