4x4 with good (20+) gas mileage

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:oops: I'm kind of a black sheep, of this family, I have a Nissan XTERRA and I camp with a TENTRAX trailer, so

john difool said:
Howdy all,
as a LR discovery 1 pilot, I want to/have to downsize. I'm trying to find me a new ride. Criteria: good gas mileage and a locking differential. I want to go camping in the rockies nothing much tougher than the engineer pass. No rock crawling stuff. I'm going lightweight, so horsepower and loading capacity is not an issue.
Any suggestions?
Thanks and greetings,
john difool

Let me give you ONE MORE option

IMGP0642-2.jpg

I average high 20mpg, pulling this trailer on the FLAT freeway and HIGH 15mpg, going up the SIERRAS

Of all the 4wd vehicles I've had in 40 years, this X, is the most comfortable COMMUTE vehicle, I've EVER had and then pop it into 4wdlo and climb hills/rocks/trees.etc

Mine (OR), comes with the "ELOCK" rear end

just a thought

:gunt: JIMBO

slosurfer

Adventurer
john difool said:
cool schmool! ... if san diego where just not 1400 miles away from me.

haha, I flew 1200 miles to go get mine and had a **************' 1.5 day roadtrip.:) Assuming it runs well, with all the new parts, etc... that is a good price and worth the flight.

john difool

Observer
kcowyo-
thanks for that link - pretty helpful!
bigreen505-
cost is an object + I live in the black hills/sd on 6000ft elevation and it can get pretty cold up there in winter. I very well know, that there are diesel running in harsher conditions, I just don't want to deal with it.
The LR gets that "good" gas mileage because I removed pretty much everything that is not neccssary for getting around and it runs on street tires. Also that thing is just worn out and spare parts are just way to pricey - Can I get a "new" rig, pretty please?!
T.Low-
you make a good point with that #'s. On the money I'd save getting me an 1990 F250 e.g., I could go quite some miles... uhm, you know? It's just: I want to reduce my emissions a bit.
JIMBO-
xterra - another reasonable car but I don't like it's styling for some reason.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
slosurfer said:
haha, I flew 1200 miles to go get mine and had a **************' 1.5 day roadtrip.:) Assuming it runs well, with all the new parts, etc... that is a good price and worth the flight.

I have three mountain bikes, one road bike, and four kayaks in my garage that each retail for well over $25hundy. San Diego is nice this time of year.:chowtime:

john difool

Observer
slosurfer said:

You are probably right. My wife denies it tho atm. :(

slosurfer

Adventurer
T.Low said:
I have three mountain bikes, one road bike, and four kayaks in my garage that each retail for well over $25hundy. San Diego is nice this time of year.:chowtime:

On your drive back up the coast, you'll have a place to stay if you hit the Central Coast.:)

slosurfer

Adventurer
john difool said:
You are probably right. My wife denies it tho atm. :(

lol, the only way I was able to pull it off was that I claimed it was for work (which it is), but now she likes it and doesn't mind riding shotgun in it. The funny thing is that I talked her out of a minivan and into her dcab taco and now I end up driving a minivan for work.:wings:

T.Low

Expedition Leader
slosurfer said:
On your drive back up the coast, you'll have a place to stay if you hit the Central Coast.:)

If you are responding to my post, thanks a ton for the generous offer of hospitality, but I just drained my "recreational goods" bank account on a pop top for my van. No Yotavan for me.

http://www.northwestoverlandsociety...rumid/31/postid/26911/view/topic/Default.aspx

Even though I really dig the Yota vans, and came close to pulling the trigger on one, I opted for something a little bigger and a little newer, and more powerfull.

And if I had the $2500, I'd buy the used GasGas 450 Dual Sport I saw on Craigslist for $2900, but I'm working my way down my van build spreadsheet.

Vice versa; If you happen to be crusiing thru Pacific Northwest, or south from Canada, we are 20 minutes south of the border with 3 guest rooms, plenty of secure parking.

Last edited:

slosurfer

Adventurer
T.Low, very nice pop top! I'd love to do that to my 4runner!

Thanks for the offer also. I do plan on getting back up there. I visited Vancouver Island a few years ago and really need to go back. Tofino is probably my favorite place that I have ever visited. I would also like to explore WA while I'm up there.

preacherman

Explorer
My 94 Montero gets 21mpg if I keep it under 73mph. And it has about as must room as a FJ80 (and third row seats)

just my .o2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears