4x4 with good (20+) gas mileage

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I'll post the details later, but FYI I just got back from a whirlwind 2200 mile road trip through the southwest in my extended cab, v-6 taco. Average MPG was just a hair over 20mpg and that was with me, the dog and probably 500lb of gear. No "off roading" just a few dirt roads and a lot of highways.

Bottom line: Given that my Taco is a V-6 extended cab, a 4 cyl reg cab should have no problem giving you highway mileage in the 20s while still maintaining outstanding off-road ability.

Superu

Explorer
Huge subi fan here (well I'm not huge, just my love of subies). Anyway, love yours and thought I'd throw this out there to add to the conversation

Thanks J.D.

I actually have half of my lift kit in the garage and the second package on the way from Ausubaru. Scorpion has a lot of great stuff, though they haven't released a kit for the 05 and newer Outbacks yet.

I'll be posting pics up as soon as I get the kit installed. :)

Superu said:
Thanks J.D.

I actually have half of my lift kit in the garage and the second package on the way from Ausubaru. Scorpion has a lot of great stuff, though they haven't released a kit for the 05 and newer Outbacks yet.

I'll be posting pics up as soon as I get the kit installed. :)

PM me when you do, I'd love to see that.

Does Ausubru have a website?

DavidG

Adventurer
mountainpete said:
Rav4's are similar to my wife's CR-V. Ideal city vehicle, ok for gravel, not at all designed for off-road. No flex, very road bias traction control, no limited slip or locking diffs. I would place it in the same capability league as your Outback, maybe even giving your Outback the edge.

With that said, a few members have pushed to the limits and fell in love with the Honda Element. The pop-top camper conversion that can be done is especially slick. I am sure they will chime in with their opinion soon or just do a search for Element.

Pete

While I can't disagree with all MP has to say, in the research I've done I found that the first gen 5-spd RAV4 (2000 and earlier) had a LSD available in the rear and a manual lock center diff. Sure, no low range and a fairly wimpy motor, but they aren't completely worthless :)

Check out this RAV4 'build' on Off-road.com

Rocky-Road offers an OME suspension too!
http://www.rocky-road.com/rav4sus.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears