5 Gal Water can with tap

cybercat

Adventurer
I came across this 5 gal water can on an African Expo forum. Looks like it could be useful. Frontrunner in ZA sells them in the US to Paul May at Equipt Expedition outfitters.

DaveM

Explorer
Cool. I made a similar setup by just drilling a hole in my Scepter water can and screwing in a small brass tap from the hardware store. It sticks out of course, but works great.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Thats nice how its tucked in like that. Even nicer that we can possibly get them through Paul. I tried to get the one that man-a-fre sells, but it was like mission impossible.

Last edited:

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
SOCALFJ said:
Thats nice hot its tucked in like that. Even nicer that we can possibly get them through Paul. I tried to get the one that man-a-fre sells, but it was like mission impossible.

You mean it self-destructed in 5 seconds? :peepwall:

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Kind of cool but I noticed the guys that have the hillbilly version can wash up with the can still in the bumper mount carrier.
I don't see the advantage.:?????:

Michael Slade

Untitled
I see the advantage. I can paint it black, strap it to the roof and use it as a shower. 5 gallons will provide enough pressure for a pretty good drip shower.

Oh yeah, the spigot won't break off (reason #1 that it's cool).

Sign me up.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
After seeing it on their site I am a little less excited about it. I think I ming take a drive to my local surplus store tomorrow and buy a surplus water can. Buy a threaded bung and do some welding.

Spikepretorius

Explorer
Probably easier to McGuyver your own thing. And a hassle to freight over to the States.
What didn't you like about it after seeing it on the site, just out of curiosity? Their products are very sturdy and just about every offroader in South Africa uses their stuff.

Last edited:

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Michael Slade said:
I see the advantage. I can paint it black, strap it to the roof and use it as a shower. 5 gallons will provide enough pressure for a pretty good drip shower.

Oh yeah, the spigot won't break off (reason #1 that it's cool).

Sign me up.
I've seen a lot of home brew water cans go a lot of miles on tough trails with out breaking while stowed in bumper carriers.
If you like it you like it. I don't see where its any better than adding a spigot. Actually I think the tap being tucked inside like that would be a PITA.

Linus Tremaine

Adventurer
mine

I ended up with the Wedco water cans. I purchased a fuel filler neck for it and adapted a flea market ketchup pump to it.

What I had to do was make a long tube and braze it to a fitting. I pulled the flex hose thing off the fuel filler neck and stuck this whole tube thing into the can and latched it down with the hook that comes on the fuel filler neck. Then, screwed a hose onto the fitting sticking out of the can. Now I have a hose with a pump on the end and can move the pump all around or mount it somewhere and get water remotely.

I got the ketchup pump for 2 dollars. Its all stainless and can be disassembled for cleaning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears