The "yet to be named" tundra build

the dude

Adventurer
On my quest for knowledge for the 1st gen tundra I have come to the conclusion that there is very little offered for these trucks. It really surprises me as the following and loyalty of this model is strong.

Here is our new to us 2006 double cab, getting it's first hook up to the trailer before it goes into the garage for an interior tear down. Bought from a single owner that had the truck for work travel. Higher kilometers then most at 219km but in mint shape and a stack of service records that was impressive. The only thing he did to it was add a remote start, a tonneau cover and a set of seat covers from new.

Saskatoon-20110311-00086.jpg

Unfortunately, it had a brand new set of 265 geolanders on it. This makes it hard to replace them for the 255/85R16 that I want to put on it. Maybe in the fall.

Future plans:
Bilstien 5100 up front
Deaver rears
255/85R16 Toyo MT
Cap/rack in the back for our RTT. Not sure if I will go custom or fiberglass
custom front bumper
custom sliders.
HAM radio

As for now, our modifications are pretty basic, I had a bunch of old skool stereo equipment that I have been storing for the last 15 years or so. I decided this was the truck it was going into. Unfortunately the sub wasn't going to fit and I wanted to go a little more up scale on the front stage so I bought some new speakers. I want to keep everything as stealthy as possible except for the front speakers. They are going in a set of custom kick panels.

I have a pioneer AVH-4300 on it's way with a back up camera, blue tooth and ipod controls for a head unit. The whole truck was sound deadened with two layers of brown bread. All new wiring for the battery, alternator and stereo was ran. These truck have really bad stock wiring. A new 250amp HO alt is also on order.

on with the pictures!

interior ripped out and brown bread installed
IMG_0903.jpg

Stock door panel with plastic skin
Saskatoon-20110316-00087.jpg

Covered door panel with brown bread
Saskatoon-20110316-00090.jpg

New 6.5" Focal mid bass driver for the door
Saskatoon-20110316-00091.jpg

New Focal 4" and tweeter on baffle for the kick panel pods
IMG_0877.jpg

precision power art series amplifiers being test fit with the cross overs. To be covered up by the factory panel
Saskatoon-20110319-00096.jpg

An Alpine Type R slim 10" sub is going in the storage compartment that is on the driver side. A before picture
IMG_0891.jpg

With all the carpet removed
IMG_0904.jpg

The area was taped off, sprayed down with pam and a layer of fiberglass and resin was layed down. Notice the notch in the front to accommodate the 10" sub. A little bit of metal work is required to get it to fit.
Saskatoon-20110319-00097.jpg

The mold was popped out. It will get 5-6 more layers of mat to stiffen the encloser, it will also get a 3/4" mdf top to hold the sub
Saskatoon-20110319-00098.jpg

Saskatoon-20110319-00101.jpg

Well that's it for now.

Last edited:

Derek24

Explorer
Wow! Nice work and great looking truck! How do you like results of the brown bread? I was thinking of doing the whole cab of my AC this spring. Nice color choice too, always liked that color and hides dust and dirt very well. Good thing about your tires being so new is that you'll get more money for them if you sell them now which you can your for 255's!! Keep us posted....

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Wow, that's goin' be a boomin' stereo setup. Maybe yer Tundra should be christened "Boomer" the Tundrabird Harbinger of Bass.

Nice to see another Tundra joining the ExPoTundrabird cult. Looking forward to seeing your truck evolve. :elkgrin:

the dude

Adventurer
"Boomer", I like that, not sure it will fly with the wife. Hopefully I will be able to post up some more "expedition" mods in the neat future.

For the money, I think any sound deadener is a GREAT investment. We did the inside of our HJ61 and dropped road noise by 5db. That's a great improvement. I forgot to test the tundra before I installed, but it should help, especially on the doors. I did the back of the outer skins as well. There is a definite "thud" now when they close. I haven't had it on the road yet but I will report back.

thanks on the sub box comment. I HATE fiberglass and this was daunting me a little but I think it is turning out OK. I wish I could have made room for a 12" but I didn't want to cut into the floor. I Ran into a small snag with it today after I got the top cut.... clearance to the sub. I knew I was going to recess the sub into the top but I didn't recall how close the plastic backing under the seat was. To solve this I will install a spacer block to lift the panel and hold it tight. I tried it with scraps and I think it will work.

IMG_0909.jpg

IMG_0914.jpg

and the amps poking through the old map/storage pockets. There should be enough air flow to keep them cool
IMG_0911.jpg

jim65wagon

"Boomer" the Tundrabird Harbinger of Bass.

I like that too! Looks like a good vehicle and fun project. Welcome to the Tundrabird Nation!

the dude

Adventurer
The slim line Alpine Type R.... Just fits:

Saskatoon-20110324-00125.jpg

I also started on the kickpanels. Battery is dead on the camera so pics in the morning.

the dude

Adventurer
and now onto something a little more Expo related!

My idea would be to have three bars going across with the one on the end (closest to the tailgate) being removable. The RTT would be pushed up against the cab. That way if you had something tall you may still have room to get it in the back. The only bad thing about that is the tent would go off the side and I like it going off the back.

Here's some pics with a piece of bent tube at about the right height and the crates in the box.

IMG-20110328-00126.jpg

Saskatoon-20110328-00128.jpg

the dude

Adventurer
Starting the kick panels:

Saskatoon-20110329-00129.jpg

IMG_0927.jpg

IMG-20110402-00142.jpg

Saskatoon-20110402-00146.jpg

They still need to get textured and color matched. I order SEM that should be here monday

Saskatoon-20110403-00158.jpg

complete Ipod integration with album art. Also plays my itunes library off my SD card with no conversions needed.

Saskatoon-20110403-00155.jpg

and a little video

Saskatoon-20110403-00160.jpg

That One Guy

Adventurer
Very nice truck and nice glass work. From the pics, it looks like you are loosing the ability to use the emergency brake pedal. Is this so?

4RunAmok

Explorer
I am also one of those who feels the stereo is an important of a part my 4x4 as the tent is to camping, the tires to the terrain, etc.. :D

And I really like how you've placed the sub and amps. I wish I had that space in my 4runner. I have sacrificed a LOT to have my dual 10's and dual amps!

Alpine head unit, Linear Power XO-3 crossover, Polk components for front doors, kicker mid-bass for side doors, 2 Kicker CompVR dual voice coil subs. Kicker 600 watt for front and mids, Linear Power 2.2HV for the subs.

I just wish I could find alternate space for the subs and amps so I can have the back for storage and maybe even be able to lay down inside for those times I don't take my OasisII roof top tent...

the dude

Adventurer
Thanks, We had our first real good listen last night and I am very happy with the results.

I was playing around with a $18 backup camera I bought off of Ebay. I am amazed more people don't have these. It is going to let me keep an eye on the trailer at all times.

A guy could hook these up all over and have a switch to what camera he wants to see. These things are very neat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman