The "yet to be named" tundra build

4RunAmok

Explorer
Thanks, We had our first real good listen last night and I am very happy with the results.

I was playing around with a $18 backup camera I bought off of Ebay. I am amazed more people don't have these. It is going to let me keep an eye on the trailer at all times.

A guy could hook these up all over and have a switch to what camera he wants to see. These things are very neat.

There's a system out there... See here...

the dude

Adventurer
Sub box covered in vinyl

IMG_0956.jpg

So I got the sub in. It sounds great. Doesn't "pound" but is decent for what it is. A 3.5" deep sub in a .5 ft3 box. Still need to pick up some hold downs for the ugly grill. Rattle the seat bottom like crazy, not sure what to do about that as I don't really want to take it off.

IMG_0962.jpg

My door panels rattle like crazy. Even at low volume. I don't think the holes in the factory "grill" are allowing enough air through. If I pop the bottom of the panel it stops vibrating and sounds good. Not sure if I should drill out the holes to try and make them bigger or cut out the whole area and install a clothe grill. royal PITA.

Also I am getting a slight hiss at volume with the truck off. If you have a vocal solo or a guitar/piano solo you can really hear it. It's there when you hit pause as well. I did the following:

changed RCA cables (PG shielded and stinger shielded)
ground the RCA cables (PG have a ground wire)
ground the deck to the amp ground
cleaned an reconnected the amp grounds
used a shorter RCA cable
tried different sources through the deck (CD, DVD, Ipod, SD card)
unraveled my coiled RCA cable (what's the best thing to do with the extra?)
Power is down the left side, RCA down the middle, speaker down the right side
Power is on the top side of the amps, RCA and Speaker on the bottom

What else can I try? Different source unit?

Here's a picture of the amps and wiring tuck under and over top

IMG_0963.jpg

the dude

Adventurer
Well down to the business end of this rig. Bilstein 5100 adj shocks. Should give me 2" of lift in the front. I have a set of 255/85R16 Toyos coming that I am going to put on a set of 16x7 steel rims with 3.75" BS

Hope to start on the install on the weekend.

Saskatoon-20110418-00181.jpg

exploreFL

Observer
Looking forward to seeing pics of the install and hearing how difficult it was/was not. I am thinking about putting these on my DC in the future!

the dude

Adventurer
got side tracked cleaning my garage. Pounded out a set of 9 foot sliders for the truck. Ends need to be sleeved/capped and trimmed down an inch or two. I should get the stringers on them over the weekend.

IMG_0965.jpg

IMG_0966.jpg

lowenbrau

Explorer
got side tracked cleaning my garage. Pounded out a set of 9 foot sliders for the truck. Ends need to be sleeved/capped and trimmed down an inch or two. I should get the stringers on them over the weekend.
]

Wait! You're putting rocker protection on *before* you wheel it? I don't get it.

the dude

Adventurer
Before:

Not much room

a7cecca9.jpg

1de1728b.jpg

ff6f52cb.jpg

comparison on length

146887c6.jpg

The install was pretty smooth. Unbolt the top three bolts and the bottom bolt and out pops everything. The bottom bolt had interference issues with the CV shaft coming out. Tried lifting the A arm and it put too much pressure on the bolt. Used a long punch and a big hammer and out it came. Installed in reverse with no issue.

I used my press to swap shocks. Made a little gadget to be able to press down the spring and still have access to the top nut of the shock.

I removed my torsion bar/stabilizer and the coils went back in no problem. I don't think you could leave the bar hooked up and get the longer bodies of the shock/coils back in. I used the second from the top setting on the bilsteins for 2.0" I got 2.5" but I expect that to settle a bit. I am sitting 1/2" high in the front, which is perfect. I plan on running a slightly lifted spring in the back.

It took me longer to replace the rear shocks. Whoever the engineer was that came up with the top bolt placement on the passenger side should be shot. PITA.

After:

1ca53cde.jpg

and a sneak peak at the sliders:

c5118589.jpg

fa8db4a4.jpg

Tires should be here next week (I hope)

the dude

Adventurer
It's starting to come together. Sliders are down at Saskatoon Custom Powder getting blasted, primed and top coated with semi gloss black powder.

Tires are on. The fronts ran into a bit of clearance issues with the calipers. :oops: The rims have 3.75" BS which is perfect but the dish was not deep enough. Tried grinding but I will end up needing a spacer. :cry:

I am liking the look. Rack is next. And maybe a rear bumper.

15998dc2.jpg

Front ground to the top of the fender well started at 34" ended at 37.75"
46aa6d72.jpg

Rear ground to the top of the fender well started at 36" ended at 37.75" I would like to bring this up another inch or two.
82a98665.jpg

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Trucks lookin' good. DCs just don't look right until there's a little bit more air under the rockers. I'm digging your slider design, I really like the swept out portion to the rear of the slider. I'm surprised that with the backspacing of your rims that you needed spacers, must just be the design of those particular wheels.

lowenbrau

Explorer
Go easy on those tires. I want them to be in good shape when I buy them when you swap in a pair of Diamond axles and some 40s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears