The "yet to be named" tundra build

exploreFL

Observer
Looks good dude! If I could get my michillins to wear out, I am planning something similar to your truck. Good to see another 1 Gen on board.

the dude

Adventurer
Thanks, I don't know about skills, but I do like building things!

Thanks to JP's Indoor Iron Sales I was able to get this done on the weekend. The RTT is going on it to fold out the back. The reason it is so high is the ARB Simpson tent has a vestibule and we want to be able to use the space standing up. I just need to drill some holes for the J hooks to hold it down and weld up a few more tabs for the axe/shovel/hi-lift and it's off to get powder coated.

93ff5097.jpg

5daad07f.jpg

fd9d9670.jpg

eae2f8c6.jpg

the dude

Adventurer
I am planning on using a set of J bolts in the factory pockets. There are many holes to choose from. Not sure on the strength but it feels pretty solid and I torqued down fairly hard. It's that or drill through the rails (which I didn't want to do unless I have to) Any other suggestions?

8493c0ee.jpg

22e30cf6.jpg

exvtec94

Are you planning on trying those OME 885s with the 5100s? If so please let me know how they compare to oem.

the dude

Adventurer
Yup, I do have them sitting on my bench. I am going to wait until I have my rear springs in and then see which direction to go. I have a feeling they are going to be to much lift without doing some other front end work, like dropping the dif, and maybe different CV axles.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
If the 5100s are set at no lift, it is reported that the 885 will lift the Tundra 2 1/2". Do you need more than this? I guess you could set the 5100s at the 1/2" setting and then you'd need a mild diff drop. Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

exvtec94

If the 5100s are set at no lift, it is reported that the 885 will lift the Tundra 2 1/2". Do you need more than this? I guess you could set the 5100s at the 1/2" setting and then you'd need a mild diff drop. Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

Is that 2 1/2 on the DC or the AC? IIRC there is approx 1/2" difference on AC vs DC with the same spring.

I have a 2000 TRD AC and would like to lift approx 2-2 1/2" with a combination of a slightly stiffer spring and 5100s.

OP, if you go with 885s i might be interested in your OEM TRD springs.

the dude

Adventurer
I hope I don't need more then 2.5" I do not want that much lift. I am going to do a measure from the hub to fender to compare against your measurements. The dif drop is going to happen regardless as it is easy to do and doesn't sacrifice much ground clearance.

I'll keep you posted. It isn't going to happen until July as we are on the road until then!

the dude

Adventurer
picked up the RTT rack today. Should I be concerned about it pushing out the sides of the box? I should have the tent on it tonight!

00809149.jpg

b4b4c4c1.jpg

jim65wagon

I wouldn't worry about it. My rack's siderails sit down in the stakepockets and are tightened from inside the bed with eyebolts. The rack gets about 250 lbs on it for any given trip. It wiggles offroad when loaded, but I have yet to find a stress crack to the rack, mounting areas or the truck bed. I think you'll be golden....
3859634493_8b50ef2417.jpg

3860420070_deb8a19e4a_m.jpg

PS: You should market those sliders they look great! Are they bolt on or weld on? I'm thinking I know a DC Tundra or two that would likely want some of those. Not to mention if you made a set about 85" they'd be perfect for an access cab.....

Last edited:

the dude

Adventurer
Good to know on your rack.

the sliders are weld on using plates. I thought of bolting on (I did this on my cruiser) but they have never been off and this truck will never see the abuse my 61 will. They are easy enough to make but shipping out of Canada is the killer, well that and finding the time... Thanks for the kind words about them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179