72 IH + ‘85 Alaskan = Questionable Judgment...

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
A winter tour of Colorado mountain passes in a really crappy snow vehicle— no big, deal, right? It hasn’t been that snowy lately.

The legend:

b42477ceb3c737f99979480fe1253b7e.jpg
What makes the power wagon a crappy snow vehicle?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Here’s my theory after 15 years: 1. Wide tires with high inflation pressures. 2. Low axle gearing. 3. No center diff. 4. Numb steering.

A Subaru will run rings around this thing, and you could read a book while you were doing it.
I'll second that. I found this Outback was a monster in the snow.
And we had a lot of snow that year so I really got to test it out....
By the end of that winter the snow banks from me shovelling the driveway were almost level to my eavestrough.

2003 Outback with the 5 speed. Manual's had 50/50 F/R power distribution.

133619_1729435003257_3813979_o.jpg
133650_1729434683249_4311026_o.jpg
170926_1729443363466_5806539_o.jpg

Nailhead

I'll second that. I found this Outback was a monster in the snow.
And we had a lot of snow that year so I really got to test it out....
By the end of that winter the snow banks from me shovelling the driveway were almost level to my eavestrough.

2003 Outback with the 5 speed. Manual's had 50/50 F/R power distribution.

View attachment 818949
View attachment 818950
View attachment 818960

In your case, the book you might have been reading would be the service manual; I vaporized two days of my life replacing head gaskets, water pump, et al, in my ex GF’s ‘07. I have disliked Subarus ever since.

They do go well in the snow, though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
In your case, the book you might have been reading would be the service manual; I vaporized two days of my life replacing head gaskets, water pump, et al, in my ex GF’s ‘07. I have disliked Subarus ever since.

This car was a 4cyl. Was that issue more prevalent in the 6's? I only ask cause that car never had an issue with the head gasket. Well as of when it sold it didn't. Who knows down the road...

Nailhead

This car was a 4cyl. Was that issue more prevalent in the 6's? I only ask cause that car never had an issue with the head gasket. Well as of when it sold it didn't. Who knows down the road...

So was that hateful ‘07; four cylinders of frustration. The sixes weren’t subject to that issue, IIRC.

We’ve had Subarus since the mid 80s. They aren’t perfect, but compared to other rigs we’ve simultaneously owned, they’re pretty damned good. I suspect there might have been two lemons that came with that rig.

Nailhead

We’ve had Subarus since the mid 80s. They aren’t perfect, but compared to other rigs we’ve simultaneously owned, they’re pretty damned good. I suspect there might have been two lemons that came with that rig.

All brand loyalties aside, blown head gaskets are a known issue on Subaru fours from the late ‘90’s to the late oughts/early teens, IIRC. Check out subaruoutback.org for further details, it’s where I got info on the necessary procedures, tools, and parts.

I’m not making this up.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I bought a ‘17 forester new and it burned oil from day one despite proper break in procedure.

Had blizzacks and a six speed. I’d still have it but the wife decided I needed a truck instead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior