80 Series Critical Spares

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
So I'm a noob to everything 80 series... and I don't know much about them apart from some common complaints.

I will be using my 80 as the mule / support vehicle for our upcoming trip to Overland Expo. It will be a long trip, and out route to the Expo will cover roughly 1400 miles, mostly dirt.

My 80 (and the other one on the trip) are almost bone stock, except for OME 2" lift and 33s.

Critical spares?

I'm not a Mud wizard, so those who are proficient, please be gentle.

ltngaines

Adventurer
So I'm a noob to everything 80 series... and I don't know much about them apart from some common complaints.

I will be using my 80 as the mule / support vehicle for our upcoming trip to Overland Expo. It will be a long trip, and out route to the Expo will cover roughly 1400 miles, mostly dirt.

My 80 (and the other one on the trip) are almost bone stock, except for OME 2" lift and 33s.

Critical spares?

I'm not a Mud wizard, so those who are proficient, please be gentle.

Hey, I had a 93 and loved it very little problems with 80s just the basic stuff and it should do you well. I have not a thing bad to say about land cruisers they have a strong history with little problems. You will have a hard time killing it.

Expedition Leader
What year is your 80 Mike?

These trucks have few issues and you won't need to carry many specific spares. One of my sons is still driving my '91 FJ80 with well over 250,000 miles and it has never needed any major work of any kind. An alternator and a radiator in all that time. I would drive that truck across the country tomorrow without a second thought or more than ordinary preparation.

hieronymus

Adventurer
I did 9000km's on a recent trip and the only thing that happened was a hydraulic hose from the powersteering that cracked and I lost all the oil.....
I would never have thought of bringing a spare hose and never will on a next trip. I was lucky someone else had some oil, so I guess fluids is the thing to have!

Moody

Needs to get out more
I have a tool list I compiled from a variety of sources, I can email it to you if you would like. I carry all of the usual suspects, set of 3 radiator hoses, a big section of heater hose and associated clamps, a set of belts, extra fluids, fuses, wire, and of course the tools. Even with your truck being a mule, if you keep your speed down, and don't push it, you can eliminate problems.

On longer trips I have a spare fuel pump, and I am going to swap out my alternator and keep the current one for a spare.

Just my 1/2 a cent...

kai38

Explorer
When I had my '95 FZJ80 the only problem I had, & have now found its common was the EGR valve burnt through the fuel injection wiring harness.
I had to replace the harness.
It was right against the fire wall about center. As a preventive measure take a section of hose split it and lay over where Toyota did wrap the harness but after years it falls apart. Hold the split hose on with radiator clamps.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
What year is your 80 Mike?

These trucks have few issues and you won't need to carry many specific spares. One of my sons is still driving my '91 FJ80 with well over 250,000 miles and it has never needed any major work of any kind. An alternator and a radiator in all that time. I would drive that truck across the country tomorrow without a second thought or more than ordinary preparation.

Mine is a 95 FZJ

Klierslc

Explorer
Moody has a good list. I would add a fuel pump relay to that as well as a bottle of Bars stop leak (the kind with the pellets inside with the fluid) That will take care of a potential HG failure for the short term and also patch up any coolant leaks you can't address with the hoses. I would only leave that stuff in as long as you need it though. Since you will be on dirt, a tire plug kit would be good, along with a couple extra headlight bulbs in case the vibration gets to them.

54mm hub socket in case your wheel bearings loosen up.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
1400 miles of interstate?
A cell phone and your AAA card are all you'll need. :elkgrin:

Seriously, if you do a reasonable amount of maintenance on your truck you shouldn't need to carry much in the way of spares. Baseline your truck at home and get it up to date on PM's and you will have no worries. IIRC the big PM's on the 80 series are the PHH and Head gasket.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
1400 miles of interstate?
A cell phone and your AAA card are all you'll need. :elkgrin:

Seriously, if you do a reasonable amount of maintenance on your truck you shouldn't need to carry much in the way of spares. Baseline your truck at home and get it up to date on PM's and you will have no worries. IIRC the big PM's on the 80 series are the PHH and Head gasket.

X2... I will add an AMEX card and a FSM

coax

Adventurer
This post will give you info on spares for electrical bits:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-t...es-faq-item-recommend-keeping-copy-truck.html

Otherwise good to take some spare heater hose if your's are in unknown condition. Check the phh before leaving.

Knuckle studs are good to have if you plan on doing any wheeling. Same with front brake caliper bolts. (Read up on mud about those; some not-too-common reports of either coming loose. You'd probably be ok if you just check torque before you leave).

Expedition Leader
Mine is a 95 FZJ

Then you don't even have to do the 3FE oil gallery plug. Some of those FZ motors were prone to original head-gasket failure, but this would probably not be a road-side repair, and maybe yours has been done already?

Honestly, I wouldn't take the space and weight for any spare parts, just whatever fluids, belts, and maintenance items you would usually carry.

cnskate

Adventurer
Fusible link is a common one, and cheap too. I suppose you could jump it with regular wire, but then you run the risk of burning up something else real expensive?

I asked a major LC parts supplier about the fuel pump. It's around $300 :Wow1: but he has to special order it and he's a major supplier, which tells us how often it needs to be replaced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears