80 Series Critical Spares

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
After today's events, I would add a starter. I had to have my 80 towed home from Taco Bell, only four miles from my house due to a bad one. Can't bump start an automatic.

Craig

When is the last time you replaced the contacts?

It is really easy if you follow these steps.

Lots cheaper than replacing the whole starter, too.

Dave

wittefish

I have a tool list I compiled from a variety of sources, I can email it to you if you would like. I carry all of the usual suspects, set of 3 radiator hoses, a big section of heater hose and associated clamps, a set of belts, extra fluids, fuses, wire, and of course the tools. Even with your truck being a mule, if you keep your speed down, and don't push it, you can eliminate problems.

On longer trips I have a spare fuel pump, and I am going to swap out my alternator and keep the current one for a spare.

Just my 1/2 a cent...

Any chance you could send me that tool list? I just picked up a '91 80 and am new to Land Cruisers, coming over from Land Rover.
Thanks,

Mike

Dazrin

Adventurer
Any chance you could send me that tool list? I just picked up a '91 80 and am new to Land Cruisers, coming over from Land Rover.
Thanks,

Mike

Or, better yet, post it here or a link here to a Dropbox/other file sharing site? I am fairly new too and would love a specialized list for my 93.

80nick

Front drive plates-I carry 2, but at least get 1
birfield
drive shafts
fusible links-3
EFI relay, fuel pump relay, any other relay that will stop the truck can't remember all off the top of my head
if you do not have a center diff lock switch get that and install it. This way you can drop the front driveshaft and continue if your not going to carry birfields, front diff, drive shaft etc
if you have a semi float rear, swap that to a full float, easy swap. full float spare shafts are smaller to carry than semi float and easier to replace in the field
change all belts & hoses before you leave and keep the ones you take off as spares
I do the same with plugs and wires, change and keep the old. It might run like ****, but it will get you home...
contacts/plunger etc to rebuild starter
I carry a couple of those big bolts that hold the lower control arms on, driveshaft bolts also
spare knuckle
coil and igniter

this is all on top of the basics that I assume you know, fuses, fluids, random nuts etc...

This is the short list. Most items I learned I needed after I needed them. I have been driving the 80 series hard since '95. It has only left me stranded twice, once a semi-float shaft broke and I had no spare, took us 8 hours to build a skid and drag it to a road, the other was a bad coil, luckily I had AAA and was near a road. I did have some weird electrical stuff happen after wheeling around Alaska on the Alaska Cruiser Trek a few years ago, but I'm gonna blame that on the numerous deep water crossings we did. What spares I carry also depends on who I am with. If I am by myself I take more stuff, sitting in Death Valley for 12 hours until somebody comes by can be a little nerve racking.

Good luck, and keep driving,
Nick

Moody

Needs to get out more
I haven't owned an 80 for a few years now (moved to a 100) so I will have to dig around to find it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78