83 Suburban 6.2 Project

bfdiesel

Explorer
More pics. :smiley_drive:
Library - 3228.jpgLibrary - 3224.jpgLibrary - 3227.jpgLibrary - 3219.jpg
These are from my and bftank's recent outing. We found a couple of weakness'. Like my headlights which blew up both the dimmer and headlight switch. I had to drive about 20 miles by my flashers in the dark. Luckily the deer all heard me coming and ran away.

Last edited:

bfdiesel

Explorer
The trail there was rocky and soupy.
Library - 3229.jpg Library - 3237.jpg Library - 3239.jpg
This was some of the more rocky. I didn't get a picture of it but to the left of the truck there is a hole about 30 ft. deep from water washing over the road.

bfdiesel

Explorer
The trail crosses the creek three times to as far as we went.
Library - 3234.jpgLibrary - 3230.jpgLibrary - 3231.jpg
I took a picture of the two more interesting crossings. The longer crossing has two choices up the creek for about 75 yards or up and turn out after about 10 yards. I drove up the 10 yard one on the way in and out the 75 yard route on the way out. Both were fun, but the whole way was a little more challenging as there were some bigger slippery rocks to climb on.

bfdiesel

Explorer
Right after the longer water crossing there was this sign:
Library - 3232.jpgLibrary - 3233.jpg

I didn't go much further as I didn't want to be stuck with just the one rig and no winch. I did have a come a long and the high lift, but those were a little more work than I wanted to have to do for the picnic.

Do to the day adventure my sweetheart gave me permission to lift "puff", as bftank calls it, to the 4 inch mark. The only condition is that I build her some form of steps to get in. I want use springs the whole way around I am thinking BDS because of their rep and warranty.

Now my list is to fix the rear main/oil pan drip, build the front bumper and mount the winch. Then probably next spring do a lift and build some slidders/stairs for the sweetheart.

Last edited:

bftank

Explorer
looks like it was a little more challenging than the paved roads we were on! wish i had been able to make that. we will have to start planning our august trip.

Stoney126

Adventurer
BDS is good stuff. I tended to sell more of their stuff due to the warranty. Good people to do business with. I also had a 4" set of their springs under my M1009, rode very smooth and never had any issues with their springs.

Outback

Explorer
On my M1028 I have an ORD 4" lift waiting to be installed. I would recommend Off Road Design since they have very well engineered lift systems that you can also up grade as you go along. A few things to watch out for on the older Chevys like ours. The frame tends to crack around the steering box. There is an easy fix for it. ORD sells two kits. One is a bolt in and the other is a weld in. No big deal easy to do. I will be using both since I will be running 37" tires. You can get away with the bolt in if your going just with 33" tires. Anything larger then I would use both. Check your power steering pump mount. For some reason these seem to fracture and fail. Stock replacement brackets are a pain to find. Even if you find one beef it up! As far as the lock right up front I would advise against it. Over a period of time the y tend to grenade. Also on the front axle the best way to go would be with a selectable locker. I know its more money but well worth the extra coin. I will be installing an OX cable locker on my M1028 Dana 60. If you just cant swing a selectable locker then a good limited slip would be your next best option. These are just my opinions. Have fun with your build. I will be watching it!

http://offroaddesign.com/catalog.htm

bfdiesel

Explorer
I was writing in the mods I wouldn't do again thread the other day and decided that I wanted to do selectable lockers. The lunch box idea was a cheap quick way to get a locker in, but not truly what I want in the end.

I will look at my ps pump mount if it is bad I will fab something better up. I will also look at reinforcing the frame around the steering box

Thanks for the tips.

bftank

Explorer
lets get you an ff14 for you to put that selectable in first.

hey does your radiator have two coolers in it? one for your old auto and one for something else? to help your steering last you could souce a larger resevoir off a semi truck and run the return through the tranny cooler in your radiator.

if you decide to do crossover i have a 2wd box and flattop knuckle. crap all this mod talk makes me rethink wanting to sell the burb.

Outback

Explorer
If you stay under35" tires there bolt on steering box brace is fine. If your going 35" or larger OR plan on wheeling ALOT go with both weld on and bolt on steering box braces

etech

Observer
How dose your sub run on bio diesel, I have a M-1009 cucv blazer with a J code 6.2 and I'm getting ready to put a banks turbo on it, I'd like to do bio diesel a few friends and I are thinking about buying a processor and running it, but would like to get some feedback from some one already doing it especially with a similar engine.

bfdiesel

Explorer
Runs good and is a lot quieter than on petro diesel. I have replaced all the soft lines post filter to a 30R9 rated fuel hose and that is it. So far I have ran about 150 gallons through it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12