84 Fleet Rescue-First $SOLD

LuckyDan

Adventurer
Center of gravity is one issue, left and right side loading come into play too. The thing I don't like about the older FWC layout in general is about everything is loaded to the left, or drivers side. I notice it a little driving around with my 80's Grandby and a person can really see it in the older Fleets on Tacoma's, Rangers and the like. I suppose one could argue that loading all the other crap one brings under the couch on right right side will balance it but it takes a LOT of stuff to balance. That and on my Grandby it's a 12gal tank and takes up a little more than a standard milk crate in room. Room I'd like to dedicate to pots, pans and food that I now have to rummage around in a box under one of the couches for. FWIW if you're so inclined in your rebuild, taking Subterran's suggestion to move it down and forward I think will make for a more balanced and functional camper.

How ever you do it, the old fleets make a good camper and I'm enjoying reading up on your rebuild. Congratulations on your find and please carry on...

sheep1499

tacoFWC ive got an old tank from my scamper your can have its 10 gal. and is roughly the size of a milk crate. if interested I can get dimensions for you just pm me.
build looks awesome by the way keep up the good work!!

TacoFWC

Observer
Got a day in on the galley. Man, all the little details and nit picky items really add up. I hoped to get the galley done or at least really close today but just got nickled and dimed by frame work, trimming, and a trip to the hardware store. What I ended up with is the fridge inslulated, all the framework finished, front paneled, doors hung, and a start on the backsplash. I got a roll of 6" aluminum, cut and bent, then fit it behind the counter top. I got a 8 foot stick of 1" flat aluminum that I will use as trim across the top and then aluminum angle for the base. It should give a good weather proof surface, look good and doesn't weigh much. Next session will be taking the galley apart to finish all the wood, put it back together and start all the finish trim. I still have a bit of work on the walls, and windows. I don't feel I'm too far away from getting started on rebuilding the framing for the cushions, flooring and wiring.

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

Looking really nice! Your getting close to the end. Its gonna be a really nice camper. The aluminum around the counter area is really nice, I might have to do that on mine when I get it back from FWC. Keep those pictures coming!!

TacoFWC

Observer
Looking really nice! Your getting close to the end. Its gonna be a really nice camper. The aluminum around the counter area is really nice, I might have to do that on mine when I get it back from FWC. Keep those pictures coming!!

Thanks, that aluminum was cheap too, 14 bucks for a 25 ft roll at Home Depot.

Thanks, that aluminum was cheap too, 14 bucks for a 25 ft roll at Home Depot.

Thats cheap! And is next on the list once I get it back, I really like how it came out. BTW they were able to save the liner, and I should be getting it back sometime like the first week of March, if your still interested in trying to salvage yours and mine together into one.

TacoFWC

Observer
Thats cheap! And is next on the list once I get it back, I really like how it came out. BTW they were able to save the liner, and I should be getting it back sometime like the first week of March, if your still interested in trying to salvage yours and mine together into one.

Thats awesome. I could definitely use it! Hopefully I'm moving on to the roof by then

TacoFWC

Observer
UP FOR SALE- Make an offer I can't refuse

The lifestyle that my wife and I live has proven that I must have my truck bed available for use at all times. I started this camper with all intentions of using it often, but every trip I make I realize more that a RTT is a better fit for us. Have a look back through this thread and feel free to post questions or PM me. Please note that this is a project and by no means is it a weekends worth of work away from being complete. I have put a lot of time and a reasonable amount of funds into it, and in the right capable hands this thing is not too far out from being complete. I am not looking to part it out, this will need to leave as a package deal. Just to summarize, this camper was a rescue I got from a tow yard. It flew off some ones truck and landed square on its roof. The roofs frame is solid but the skin is pretty roughed up. It will need a few sections of rv molding splice in around the corners as well. I did no work to the roof, as I wanted to get the camper finished first. The vinyl needs repair or replaced, and the lift panels done. I kept them intact with the hinges still on. I have practically everything that came off, trim, panels, etc. Also, if you are intrested in the camper but want new vinyl and lift panels, I am only 25 minutes from the factory, if you want to do the coordinating I'm sure we can work something out. Thanks for the interest, hit me up! Benny (530) 570-9709

Last edited:

TacoFWC

Observer
Bumpdate:

Got some work done over the weekend, and I want to start a list of items that need completing before this camper is set to go.

These are the items I have no time to invest into:
Needs lift panels. I have the original hinges, if you are up to the task you can use the original hinges on new wood. The advantage to this is all the holes are already drilled, you can transfer them striaght to the new panels and they'll be ready to rivet in.

Vinyl installed. Its really your choice to either patch the current vinyl which isn't in too bad of shape and has been cleaned up nice with 303. Or, have new vinyl installed, keep in mind I'm right down the street from the factory and can deliver for you.

Needs to be wired. I removed all the old lights and wiring. I installed a new porch light and the leads are ready to be wired.

Headliner install, which will need to happen after lights and wiring have been sorted out.

Interior finish trim. All the wall panels are new, galey is new, I have a bunch of aluminum trim I started to cut up for trim but it needs to be completed.

Some of the RV trim needs to be painted and sealed when the vinyl goes back in.

I hope to knock out these items in the near future:

Install interior cushions/frame work

Paint the roof

Carpet

Install any odds and ends interior and exterior parts, plumb the stove, and fridge.

Just to summarize basically what has been done:

New-
exterior paint
Interior paint
New interior wall panels
interior and roof completely insulated with rigid foam foil panels
all windows removed, cleaned, polished and resealed with Butyl upon install
New door seals on entrance
Galley frame and paneling all new
Aside from the molding that holds the vinyl on and one other piece in front, all other have been removed, painted, resealed with butyl, installed with stainless steel hardware and new screw cover installed.
Lots of new odds and ends, window knobs, sink plug, screw cover, extra butyl tape, etc.
I also have a Blue Sea 12 circuit fuse block I can throw in if the price is right.

I am not expecting to recover all I have into this project, please feel free to make me an offer, ask questions, etc. I am motivated to sell, no reasonable offer refused.

530-570-9709

P.S. The interior cushions/bedding are original but in really good shape. They are a cool retro plad, and I can only think of one small rip in one of the pads.

TacoFWC

Observer
FIRST $500 TAKES IT!

I desperatly need my garage for a wood shop, this thing needs to go. I bought the camper for 300 and have invested over 1000 in supplies since. I put a lot of good work into it, and a capable person could have this finished in a few weekends with minimal cash investment. Let my loss be your gain. Please don't low ball me, you'll be stealing it at $500

I will trade for quality wood working tools. I need a table saw, router /table, chop saw, drill press, etc. I'd also like a small mill vise for a drill press. Let me know what you got.

A decent size table saw with built in router would be a plus.

Last edited:

rangerdogg

Adventurer
Ya I would buy to have another project if you were closer. I would keep it man you have done a lot of work and hard part I'd done. Sorry to see you selling it

TacoFWC

Observer
I would definitely keep it if I didn't have so much gear to haul on trips, and if I traveled for longer lengths of time. I only camp for 2 or 3 days at time, just not practical for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179