'89 GMC Suburban restoration/build up project.

Renntag

Adventurer
Love the progress here. Shock mounts look sweet. Curious how different the ride is with this spring and shock combo.
I am about to undertake the same project and would like to consider the same setup.

dieselfuel

Adventurer
Awesome build. And yes, do the original blue stripe! that would look killer!

Thanks! I'm actually thinking about spraying the blue stripe on with plastidip so when it gets scratched I can just peel and redo it.

Love the progress here. Shock mounts look sweet. Curious how different the ride is with this spring and shock combo.
I am about to undertake the same project and would like to consider the same setup.

That shocks feel great, I'm really happy I bought them. The springs are stiff but that's what you get when you buy the cheapest springs you can find. I'd love to have some custom made ORD springs but I imagine I'll end up with a set of Tuff-Country EZ rides for half the price. If you want off the shelf springs, they are the best ones available.

dieselfuel

Adventurer
What makes the ORD so much better?

they're custom made for your application, weight, type of use, etc... you can have them relocate the axle fore/aft as needed, custom lift height and spring rate and much more travel than any off the shelf spring. the best production lift springs offer around 6" of vertical travel while ORD springs usually end up at 10-11". they'll use up all that a 14" shock has to offer under articulation. they consist of 10 or so thin leaves, giving you a more progressive spring rate and have military wrapped spring eyes, offering an extra level of safety under hard use. they're also nearly twice the price, Tuff-Country EZ rides are $340 a pair where ORD springs are $630 or so. custom springs front and rear with Bilsteins is my dream setup. maybe i'll just hold out until i can get the springs i really WANT...

Renntag

Adventurer
Wow. You are speaking my language. Nice ride plus amazing articulation sounds silly to go with a cheaper spring. Sounds like $700 entry level and $1300 for the nice option. $600 for a better ride and way more travel? Not bad.
Planning on the ORD shackle flip.

I have seen double shocks up front on some burbs, not sure if this is needed and what the benefit is other than more dampening. (Obviously).

dieselfuel

Adventurer
Subscribed here and on CK5

Thanks! I was really sad to see your suburban sell. Even more so that a friend of mine couldn't buy it.

Wow. You are speaking my language. Nice ride plus amazing articulation sounds silly to go with a cheaper spring. Sounds like $700 entry level and $1300 for the nice option. $600 for a better ride and way more travel? Not bad.
Planning on the ORD shackle flip.

I have seen double shocks up front on some burbs, not sure if this is needed and what the benefit is other than more dampening. (Obviously).

With the stock springs and cheap shocks, I can see the need for double shocks. With a better shock and spring combo, you definitely don't need both. I've heard that double bilsteins is too stiff and I believe it.

dieselfuel

Adventurer
Sounds reasonable.
Are you planning any steering mods?

i've already got crossover with springless arms and 1 3/4" DOM tube with 1 ton TREs... all i can really add at this point is hydro assist and yes i do plan on adding that.

i had to go into work today and fix a truck for an early monday job. so i took daisy so i could plug up a small exhaust leak and flex test her properly. i can pick a tire up 31-32" before another tire lifts. the steering clears beautifully, ive got plenty of brake line front and rear and i'm not even close to maxing out my shocks, up or down. from my bump stop mounts to the spring plate, fully compressed i've got 7". so i've gotta get some bump stops and weld up some pads on the spring plates for them to hit. since the axle is moved forward 1" the bump stops would hit a u-bolt if i just slapped some on there. with the drivers front stuffed the drag link misses the oil pan by about 3/4" and the spring clears the upper tie rod end by about the same amount. over all i'm thrilled with how everything worked out.

B8CD4236-351B-4813-8A5F-38497BEEF589_zpsmdgakv4w.jpg

6745DF93-A90E-4707-8A04-8A76E813C19E_zps1fcjsvvs.jpg

9880EF74-A510-4958-8FF1-B14DFE8751DC_zps3wb0d76k.jpg

824F46F1-CDEF-4F33-A4F6-9D0D1C9CE3D3_zpsmd8ituab.jpg

every one of my tie rod end boots have fallen apart already.
EB6C268A-EA4A-4B1D-962D-D014A9017D28_zpsikzowm2w.jpg

3D92F544-A3F1-496D-A7B7-1A25D1E1D327_zps8ztt7bsp.jpg

9A0FD923-4BDD-493E-8CB3-879F62D88825_zpsjnufy13c.jpg

the shocks don't hit anything! i was a little worried about them touching the vertical plates of the upper mounts but everything clears.
008E690A-1F6A-4485-B857-9D8B2309E0A7_zpswgeijlxn.jpg

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
The Burb is looking great! A lot of hard work you have into this machine and the payoff time is almost here. Nice work!

Say, where did you get these rear axle bearing retainer locks? I remember seeing them before but can't remember who was selling them. I need a set for my K10.

out with the old, in with the new.
BB44E879-4EAA-47C0-86AB-731B29815201_zpsdsjxzq0v.jpg

dieselfuel

Adventurer
The Burb is looking great! A lot of hard work you have into this machine and the payoff time is almost here. Nice work!

Say, where did you get these rear axle bearing retainer locks? I remember seeing them before but can't remember who was selling them. I need a set for my K10.

The stage-8 spindle nuts? I got them at the SEMA show from stage-8. Unfortunately the ones I have won't work for the rear axle. I got four of the Dana 60 nut sets because I thought they were the same front and rear but the rear ones are actually smaller. So now I have a set of Dana 60 locking spindle nuts but I don't need and nothing for the rear axle, just the OEM parts.

dieselfuel

Adventurer
Do they offer something for the rear?

I imagine they do, I just haven't looked into it yet. I got four of the same kind because 14 bolts and Dana 60s use the same hub socket so I thought that the spindle size was the same as well, I was wrong. Eventually I will put some stage-8 spindle nuts on the rear end as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998