95 2 Door Tahoe SAS project

wrench-head

Observer
Figured I would update the thread with the following information. The High Pinion Dana 60 is at Crane High Clearance to get checked for straightness and trussed. They will be adding their custom inner C's at the proper caster angle for the Tahoe. They will also be installing the ARB and the 4.88 gears.

The 454 is at the machine shop getting a once over before assembly begins. I have all of the necessary parts for a factory-like install.

Picked up a factory power steering cooler setup to install and my PSC ported steering box arrived.

Looks like I have things to do on weekends again. Actually after this there isn't much more to do. Kind of sad, to be almost complete...

-Alex

boellis87

Observer
Can't wait to see the 454 install. I'm sure from the quality of the rest of the build that this will look like it came straight off the line. Your build is a model of the way I'd like to do mine, no expense spared on all the important stuff, but nothing wasted either. I'm trying to do it all right, but as I'm still in school, I'll be doing a few things at first that I may eventually change. Keep us updated with pics, this thing is :ylsmoke:.

Last edited:

wrench-head

Observer
Thanks, that is the look I am going for. It will look factory on the outside, but not be on the inside. The factory TBI 454s left a lot of room for improvement. If it doesn't work out, I have been working with a fellow board member on an 8.1L backup plan. Whichever way this ends up it will have a big block of some form or another in it. Gas mileage won't be the greatest, but a 454 has been my dream engine for a while. Always can carry extra gas cans in addition to the 30 gallons in the tank.

-Alex

boellis87

Observer
Man I hear ya. I'm currently drooling over an 8.1 in a junk yard not far from me. This addition to my project is probably a few years down the road, but I'd love to pick up the whole truck as a donor. The guy wants an arm and a leg for his stuff though so I may have to figure out a different plan. What about a Vortec 454? Was your TBI too good to pass up or is there something making it more simple to swap for you? '95 was when they introduced the Vortec engines IIRC. Pretty sure they got a decent bump in horsepower, too. Just curious. 6.0's another obvious option. Good luck with the transplant.

wrench-head

Observer
95 is the last year of the TBI, so all I am doing is unplugging the 350 and then plugging in the 454 (in so many words). Then I change the chip and I am done. It is pretty simple. The 8.1 is a no brainer in an earlier truck with a simpler harness. 5.3 and 6.0 are way more work than an 8.1 and I can't see myself bothering with those. Mounts are different, custom flywheel (in most apps), AC is a pain, ...

-Alex

wrench-head

Observer
Update

Well I might as well post an update. Been busy at work, and haven't touched the truck much but progress is being made. The engine is currently at the machine shop and should be out this coming week for assembly. It has turned out a bit larger then when it started but no problem. All said and done it is going to displace 489 cubic inches. The build is stout, but the cam is mild. Going for bullet proof torque.

The front axle is at Crane High Clearance getting straightened and trussed. A '79 housing needed to be checked in my opinion, and it was a little out but what they consider normal for a 30 yr old axle. Once straightened and trussed I will assemble it with the ARB and gears.

This summer should see a new motor and front and rear lockers. I just need to get away from work enough to use it. The 489 should put a smile on my face at least. I will let everyone know when it is in and post pics then we can starting taking bets on mileage.

-Alex

wrench-head

Observer
The door handles bolt directly on. The linkage takes a little work. I bought all of the medium duty truck linkage as well and made it all work.

Flyboat

Observer
from where? a wrecking yard? an online source? I am having trouble even finding anyone that carries them or a picture of them.

95Blazos

Sas

I've read your also swaping in 383 I've been very impresed with your SAS I'm sure your engine swap will be just as sucsessfl do u do all these prodjects out of your own garage are do you have a shop u take it to if so please PM the link to there shop are # thank you

wrench-head

Observer
I do all of my own work either at my place or the larger ones at a friends house with a two post lift. The engine is a 489 not a 383 actually. Thanks.

wrench-head

Observer
Short Block

Well the short block for the 489 came together over the weekend, now waiting on the heads to get back from the machine shop.

DSC06873.jpg

DSC06871.jpg

DSC06870.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior