97 40th Anniv. Locked Mall Rig "What next?"

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
Hello and let me introduce myself! I've been on the Portal for years, but more as a lurker than a poster. I live in Ridgway, CO with my wife and border collie and have been driving a fully expedition rigged LR3 for the last 2 years. My wife Beverly and I are now working with Paul May at Equipt Expedition Outfitters in the marketing department.
The reason I'm posting in the TLC forum is because we sold "Loco," our LR3 the other day to Tim at Red Mountain Rovers which was a very pleasant transaction I might add!
We have now bought a new to us 1997 Land Cruiser 80 Series that is sage in color and a 40th Anniv. edition with lockers! This thing it totally stock and has never been wheeled. It has always been garage kept in NM so we are totally stoked.
Our plans right away are to install an Eezi-Awn 1600 T-Top mounted on a Front Runner Roof Rack and an Eezi-Awn 2.5 meter awning. We will mount our Front Runner stainless steel table under the rack on rails. We already have a new 50L Split stainless steel National Luna fridge to be mounted on a set of undetermined drawers. We will also install a dual battery National Luna battery system right off the bat
This covers everything that Equipt Carries so what to do next? let me know your ideas about how much lift to run 33's, drawer systems, under body armor, winch bumper, rear swing away tire carrier and bumper, additional fuel tank and whatever else!!! I'm such a virgin to the LC world and am excited to learn what is the best way to outfit our new vehicle. I really respect the people and opinions here on the portal and cannot wait to hear your thoughts.

cheers,

gearguywb

Explorer
And the fun begins!!!

For me anyway, a big part of the fun of building the truck is the planning phase.

It might be helpful to categorize some of your upgrade thoughts.

Comfort
Recovery
Maintenance
Off road ability
Appearance
Communication

After making a list (and checking it twice :)) you can start assigning a priority based on availability, time, money, importance to you and your family, etc.

mph

Expedition Leader
Congrats on your purchase. I have a 99 lc and absolutely love it! I am sure you will enjoy your 97. Pictures???

I have really enjoyed my OME setup. I am sure a 2-3" inch lift will do...

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
For me anyway, a big part of the fun of building the truck is the planning phase.

It might be helpful to categorize some of your upgrade thoughts.

Comfort
Recovery
Maintenance
Off road ability
Appearance
Communication

After making a list (and checking it twice :)) you can start assigning a priority based on availability, time, money, importance to you and your family, etc.

gearguywb, thanks for the tip! I do need to prioritize everything and then come up with an order to do things in. First I will list what I already have:

1. Eezi-Awn 1600 T-Top Tent
2. Front Runner Wind Cheetah Rack System
3. Front Runner Stainless Steel Table to mount under rack
4. Eezi-Awn 2.5 Meter Awning
5. National Luna 50L Split Stainless Steel Fridge
6. National Luna Dual Battery System
7. Yaesu 85 Watt 2 meter radio

So after these things are all installed I'm thinking about getting her fully ready to camp first and then off road capabilities enhanced next. So right off the bat I'm going to explore the drawer systems. I've heard recently about an entire kitchen that fits into a drawer system. The website is: http://www.drifta.com.au/index.php Does anybody have any experience with these or something close. My wife and I spend 2-3 months every winter traveling in Baja, Mexico and Central America and like a nice kitchen set up.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Hey Ben,
I know on your LR3 you had your roof tent opening off the side and with the rear hatch setup on the 80 you will need to do the same. That will give you kind of a mini table and overhead protection out the back.

With the camera gear you carry locking quality drawers are a must, and some track rails on top to secure other items to.
African Outback makes some nice drawers if you are looking for something pre-made
landcruiser_100_vx_brown_thumbnail.JPG

Adventure Trailers can create anything you need and also Tuffy has some generic stuff that might work.

Since this is a demo rig for Equipt you gotta have the snorkel :)
http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/tz_snorkel_install.htm

Slee also does some nice skids, sliders and even bumpers...and while I think all that is important I also know that an 80 is pretty heavy from the get go and doesn't get the best mileage. Therefore I would pick light wgt versions of as much stuff as possible, maybe even aluminum if aval.

On the 80 getting rid of the side step and maybe the fender flares will make a difference of course and honestly an 80 is very capable in stock form with lockers & good tires.
Speaking of tires I am running the Nitto Trail Grapplers right now and really like them...sand, mud, snow, slick rock & sharp rocks they have held up very well on an 11,000 lb van for 30k miles so far.

FireGuy

Adventurer
With 33" tires and all the weight you will be carrying, I'd suggest 4.56 or even 4.88 gearing.

Also, you could go with the usual OME lifts or even the excellent Slee 4" lift - but if you want to try something new and different that a lot of 80 owners are raving about, check out the Frankie's Off-Road (FOR) 3.5" lift kit. Do some research on the kit, even call him up as he is very friendly, and I think you will be surprised and impressed. Also, I'd get sliders right away. A dented in door can really ruin your day. Slee slider steps will make a nice platform to stand on while accessing things from your roof rack, or you can go with the awesome MetalTech sliders if you want more clearance.

How many miles does your 80 have? I'd recommend changing out all the fluids and at least changing the heater hose known as the Pesky Heater Hose (PHH). Also, if you haven't yet, join up over on Ih8mud.com. It has a amazing amount of 80 information and will be your go to site for anything 80 related.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I really like the kitchen set up you linked/posted! I have no experience with it other then it looks like a cool set up. Cost?

If your intent is to expo your new 80 I would keep the flares. I have run flares with 37's and they remained attached to the 80. Flares will keep the mud off the sides and windows. 33's, small lift, high clearance bumpers, and a skilled driver will take an 80 any place you will ever want to go on a expo trip.

Look forward to your build.

Sgt Grunt

Adventurer
Ben, You've came over to the Cruiser side... Nice!!!

Just to refresh, my wife and I shared some drinks (Venezuelan rum!!!) with you guys the last night of the expo this year and enjoyed talking about the LR3. I'm surprised to see the switch, but am anxious to see the build up of the new truck. I'm on my third 80 and think I have found "my" sweet spot with them and have been out more this summer than with all my other 80's.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice as to what you should do to the Cruiser and everyone will probably more or less say the same things, mine would only be since you aren't a small guy to look into seat extension brackets for more leg room.

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
Ben, You've came over to the Cruiser side... Nice!!!

Just to refresh, my wife and I shared some drinks (Venezuelan rum!!!) with you guys the last night of the expo this year and enjoyed talking about the LR3. I'm surprised to see the switch, but am anxious to see the build up of the new truck. I'm on my third 80 and think I have found "my" sweet spot with them and have been out more this summer than with all my other 80's.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice as to what you should do to the Cruiser and everyone will probably more or less say the same things, mine would only be since you aren't a small guy to look into seat extension brackets for more leg room.

Darryl,
This is so funny! Beverly and I were just discussing your sweet 80 a few nights ago and that led us to the liquor cabinet where the Rum you gave us was stored! That is some rockin' rum I might add. We really enjoyed meeting and hanging out with you and your wife during the Expo. We look forward to doing more camping with the LC crowd once we finish our rig. Please keep in touch and if you guys ever have time to drop down to Ridgway, we have a spare room.

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
Hey Ben,
I know on your LR3 you had your roof tent opening off the side and with the rear hatch setup on the 80 you will need to do the same. That will give you kind of a mini table and overhead protection out the back.

With the camera gear you carry locking quality drawers are a must, and some track rails on top to secure other items to.
African Outback makes some nice drawers if you are looking for something pre-made
landcruiser_100_vx_brown_thumbnail.JPG

Adventure Trailers can create anything you need and also Tuffy has some generic stuff that might work.

Since this is a demo rig for Equipt you gotta have the snorkel :)
http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/tz_snorkel_install.htm

Slee also does some nice skids, sliders and even bumpers...and while I think all that is important I also know that an 80 is pretty heavy from the get go and doesn't get the best mileage. Therefore I would pick light wgt versions of as much stuff as possible, maybe even aluminum if aval.

On the 80 getting rid of the side step and maybe the fender flares will make a difference of course and honestly an 80 is very capable in stock form with lockers & good tires.
Speaking of tires I am running the Nitto Trail Grapplers right now and really like them...sand, mud, snow, slick rock & sharp rocks they have held up very well on an 11,000 lb van for 30k miles so far.

Great insight Lance, BTW we will see you tomorrow for our "Great Divide Trip!" You've got an entire week with me!

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Subscribing.

Now, Ben, lets see some pictures of this truck. I know you have a camera or two lying around somewhere ;)

Klierslc

Explorer
How often will all of your gear be in the Cruiser?

If you get a set of springs tuned for carrying all that, but drive it a good deal without all of the gear you may end up with a harsh ride. I have the TJM heavies--slightly lower spring rate than OME, but I also use airlift bags in the rear coils. Whenever I am fully loaded or towing a trailer I air them up to keep things level and to keep the rear end from wallowing....

There is a guy over on mud who has a really really nice kitchen cabinet system built into the back of his 80, but you may need that space for your camera gear.

I recommend an ARB winch bumper to protect your cooling system down in baja, along with the slee step sliders.... Here is a decent shot of the slee step sliders and the non-winch ARB.

Attachments

• Rausch_Creek_8_21_009.jpg
    Rausch_Creek_8_21_009.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 131

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78