'99 Toyota 4Runner. Runnin' down a dream.

stolz

Adventurer
Sometimes I think about selling my 7D to buy parts.. but I can't get myself to do it. Loving your build progress on the simple yet important stuff.

MCObray

Explorer
The Runner was dropped off yesterday to the gentlemen at Toy Only Swaps (Creswell, Oregon). I heard of this place word-of-mouth, through some items I purchased off a Craigslist from a man in Veneta, OR. Boy, has he steered me in the right direction. I've been working with Cliff and the communication line has been nothing but stellar. I rather support local businesses, than the stealerships. These guys seem to share a similar interest/passion for Toyota vehicles, and with a great track record for their work, this was a no-brainer to whom I would let service my 4Runner. I stopped by to further drop off some parts and took a stroll around. I'll have a follow-up, as well as what was serviced, in the coming days when the Runner is back in my passion.

MCObray

Explorer
Looks like a pretty cool indy shop. Love the 'maintenance-first' approach.

Yeah, I chose the guys at Toy Only Swaps over the Dealership so that the money can stay in the enthusiasts hands. Individuals who share similar passions, interest, and sure do take pride in the work that is performed in the shop. Cliff and Justin are great guys to work with, and by the amount of work they had/were doing, it signified that a lot of other individuals put their trust in them as well.

MCObray

Explorer
Ok, so the 4Runner has been back in my possession for the last few days. A minor hiccup occurred, but they was more do with a faulty part more so than the labor being performed. Toy Only Swaps was a pleasure to work with and I wouldn't hesitate to use them again, as well as reference them.
List of items performed: Timing Belt & Water Pump, misc. seals and drive belts associated with that job. Valve Cover gasket, Plenum Gasket, Spark Plugs, Wires, and a Denso Radiator. Fresh Toyota RED coolant, as well. All parts used are OEM Toyota for peace of mind, as well as... well it's Toyota quality! I initially picked the Runner up on a Thursday, and upon starting the vehicle Friday morning, I was greeted with this:
photo-2_zps837f0955.jpg

Back to Creswell it went. After a day or so, I received a call from Cliff letting me know the issue had been resolved and it was ready to be picked up. It turns out that the lower radiator inlet pipe, where it mates up with the Thermostat housing, had developed some corrosion and had some scoring, therefore causing the leak. Cliff went ahead replaced it, and now I am leak free for the past 4 days!
Suspect:
photo3_zpsfe11c8c0.jpg

Up she goes:
photo1_zps77ca8531.jpg

MCObray

Explorer
With a new Denso Radiator in, I felt it was appropriate to add a Transmission Cooler. I want to avoid the "Pink Milkshake", so in order to do so, more preventative maintenance was in order. With the Radiator bypassed, the Transmission send and return lines will now run directly to the Transmission Cooler.
B&M 70264:
photo1_zps1dcdd66d.jpg

I must note that I went ahead and got '10 of 3/8" hose (as seen on the left) to use for the Transmission Cooler. This will help with better flow, cooling, as well as performance.
Runners:
photo2_zps206465cc.jpg

Going in:
photo3_zps48791e4e.jpg

The installation was smooth, and much of that can be accredit to my good friend Nathan, who also happens to be another 4Runner owner. Thanks man!
A nice drive back to Eugene:
photo3_zps47138ce4.jpg

My temps per ScanGaugeII: ATF (Transmission Temp.): 140-145 HWY. FWT (Engine Temp.): 188-191 HWY.

MCObray

Explorer
Nice build! How do you like your scangauge?

Thanks.

I do enjoy the several features of the ScanGaugeII. For instance, when the Runner first came back, I was able to see that the Coolant Temps were running 202-206, which is abnormal especially after fresh major maintenance. It turns out that the jiggle valve was at the 12 o'clock position, when it needed to be at the 6 o'clock position. Because of the ScanGaugeII, I was able to see the problem and get it corrected. I went from 202-206, to now running 188-191. I picked it up off Craigslist for only $100, so it's certainly paid for itself. I will never go without one in my vehicle now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MCObray

Explorer
Some more informative pictures on how the lines were ran for the Transmission Cooler.
The reason I went with installing on the Drivers Side is that there is less clutter, and since the 70264 is bigger than the 70268, it just made more sense.
In front of hole behind drivers headlight.
photo4_zpsb781b2b8.jpg

Behind the drivers headlight hole.
photo1_zps21951916.jpg

Keep your eyes on the white zip ties.
photo2_zps76f7dcfc.jpg

photo3_zpsb060877f.jpg

From the last picture, the lines begin to head behind to vehicle to meet up with the send & return line.

MCObray

Explorer
^ Nice tidy work. Good job!

Thanks. With the helps of friends and connections, I've got it to where I can deem it dirt road worthy. Partially put a good amount of money, at least to me, in to it so it can be baselined and for the fact that I won't think about selling it so shortly. I considered myself married to this vehicle, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Applejack

Explorer
Too bad those Duratracs didn't work out for you, I have had the E range ones for the last 32k miles and have nothing but love for them, butter smooth up to 90mph, haven't gone any faster though.
Oh well, the BFG AT's are a great tire too. Good looking rig, these 3rd gens are tough little trucks, but I do recommend doing the tundra brake swap, it's worth every penny. I tried doing every other remedy for the crappy brakes and threw away a lot of money in the process. Don't bother with rotor and pad upgrades, go directly to your part store and get some tundra big brakes!

MCObray

Explorer
The Runner has been running great. Everytime I roll down the rear window, I am reminded of my childhood (89' Bronco) and the love I have for the wind cracking through the cabin. It really is the little things.
Spring Cleaning. by Bucky Images, on Flickr
No immediate plans, but to just drive it and taking it off the road when the opportunities present itself. I'm slowly creeping into my other passion, so the Runner will be transporting me to & from the dock.
Sunday Funday on the Willamette. by Bucky Images, on Flickr
Cheers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman