A few 2013 g55 pictures...

zimm

Expedition Leader
in current form its definately not one of the best 4x4's ever. its a glorified... well... extreeeeemly glorified GMC Cyclone. Dubs? Road tuned suspension? 550 hp?

you need an older 461 to support that claim, and even still the G has some serious shortcomings. for out of the box capability, a final year defender, 7x toyota, or a jeep rubicon is a better buy. if they trimmed it out as a normal truck with an appropriate spring settings and tires, it would still be over twice the price of a rubicon, and it would have a huge issue, in that it would be in the same class as a rubicon, and a rubicon would eat it up in a side by side test. its a 40 yo chassis and body design, and it shows no matter what wall paper you hang inside. the only reason it isnt discontinued is because of the military support contracts. the civilian version is just cash-icing on the cake, as people like me with schwartzeneggar disease like the military look.

exclusivity, image, and luxury trimmings wont help you off road as much as suspension travel and proper tires.

Last edited:

REDROVER

Explorer
in current form its definately not one of the best 4x4's ever. its a glorified... well... extreeeeemly glorified GMC Cyclone. Dubs? Road tuned suspension? 550 hp?

you need an older 461 to support that claim, and even still the G has some serious shortcomings. for out of the box capability, a final year defender, 7x toyota, or a jeep rubicon is a better buy. if they trimmed it out as a normal truck with an appropriate spring settings and tires, it would still be over twice the price of a rubicon, and it would have a huge issue, in that it would be in the same class as a rubicon, and a rubicon would eat it up in a side by side test. its a 40 yo chassis and body design, and it shows no matter what wall paper you hang inside. the only reason it isnt discontinued is because of the military support contracts. the civilian version is just cash-icing on the cake, as people like me with schwartzeneggar disease like the military look.

exclusivity, image, and luxury trimmings wont help you off road as much as suspension travel and proper tires.

i guess you are right ,it has way to much of unnecessary electronics and things that can go wrong .. defiantly looks beautiful , but the problem is that even someone gets it for offroad use, they cant even get rid of that sophisticated computers and wires , so no matter what even if its a g wagon ,during offroad in this form its equal to toyota rav 4 . and thats sad.

zimm

Expedition Leader
i guess you are right ,it has way to much of unnecessary electronics and things that can go wrong .. defiantly looks beautiful , but the problem is that even someone gets it for offroad use, they cant even get rid of that sophisticated computers and wires , so no matter what even if its a g wagon ,during offroad in this form its equal to toyota rav 4 . and thats sad.

there are things you can do for big bucks to make it more trail worthy, but, anymore thats seems to be the domain of the Unicat companies.

Clutch

<---Pass
adjusted to 45000 for inflation. :)

modern cars have a achieved a catch 22... the technology has made tem uber reliable compared to anything made 30 years ago... but that same technology means the cost of repairing these new cars once they become "cheap" on the used market is going to be quite steep. i harp on it, but sure wouldnt want to own that g63 after 5 years and 50,000 miles, or whatever the extended warranty plan allows. its getting to the point where, if a buyer cant afford it new, he cant afford it ever.

I have a couple clients that have G-Wagons...they use them to run to the stables, to pick up the grand kids, the country club, etc... so they don't mess up their GT3's or Alpinas...

Longtallsally

Adventurer
Tarted up gas guzzler. It won't hold a candle to a Rubicon for the simple reason I can total 4 Rubicons for one of these and the Rubicon in stock form is still infinitely better off road. In other words I'll take the disposable Rubicon and buy some land where I can enjoy it for the same money as this ridiculous status symbol.

I'll keep my 460 thanks.

otiswesty

Regular guy
adjusted to 45000 for inflation. :)

modern cars have a achieved a catch 22... the technology has made tem uber reliable compared to anything made 30 years ago... but that same technology means the cost of repairing these new cars once they become "cheap" on the used market is going to be quite steep. i harp on it, but sure wouldnt want to own that g63 after 5 years and 50,000 miles, or whatever the extended warranty plan allows. its getting to the point where, if a buyer cant afford it new, he cant afford it ever.

I couldn't afford it with 50K miles on it either. In fact the only reason I got a G500 with only 56K miles on it is because of a gas price spike and SUV market valuation aberrancy in 2008. That gwagen has 112K miles on it now with very low interim maintenance costs and now has a new owner. I would love to own a G63 and think it could be used easily but judiciously offroad.

The old style 460/461 is still readily available, just not new any more. It is an interesting statistic that 95% of all gwagens made are still on the road.

zimm

Expedition Leader
It is an interesting statistic that 95% of all gwagens made are still on the road.

that statistic is representative of scarcity, demand and value. we've all seen sheet metal replacement and rebuild threads on G's or other coveted cars, but you wont see one on a cavalier, or a corolla. why? because its like a house. if the intrinsic value is worth more than scrapping it and buying another, repair and maintenance are done. if not, you throw it away. in that light, G's are a status symbol, have never changed in silhouette and someone will pay 10,000 dollars for one that, if it was said cavalier, it would end up in the garbage.

taken a step further in the global economy, you'll find defenders that would soon be in the pick and pull if they stayed in England, end up as rebuilds over here. quality car and a worthy addition to the "still on the road" statistic? **** no. scarce, in demand, and worth a rebuild here, when an NAS sells for 70g? yea.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman