A Lifted Overlanding Prius | Crossing Darién Gap | What's Needed?

black-jmyntrn

Well, after 49 States (a picture in front of each Welcome to the State Sign) and a trip to San Felipe, Baja California for Christmas, a drive to Cabo is on the 2023 agenda. The thought of taking a ferry to the main land crosses my mind as the goal now is to drive this Prius some how on all seven continents.
20210918_151218_72 ppi-01.jpeg

As my mind starts to think through logistics, I wondered... Could this Prius successfully cross Darién Gap? Some internet reading let me know lots of migrants are passing through, which should make for more areas this little car's tires can stick to and guide us through the Gap. right?

20221205_133710-01.jpeg

When I read it took 8 days to cross on Kawasaki KLR motorcycles, it makes me think what should I prepare myself for? Aside from the new AWD system with a rear electric motor more powerful than what's in the Rav4 Prime, the below is my initial upgrades since most vehicles don't float.

Photo_6553827_DJI_227_jpg_7921202_0_202198194128_photo_original-01.jpeg
DJI_0168-01.jpg
(above: yes that's a 4500lbs winch hidden in the front bumper)

Initial Upgrades Needed:
-Complete Underbody Skid Plates (In my head if I'm sliding down a hillside, I don't want to get caught on anything, or maybe I do)
-Some sort of either once or multiple use quick inflating under car emergency raft system (best thought contact an emergency lift raft company for a custom fit raft using cO2 to quickly fill)
-Enough speed and diversionary tools (explosives? smoke bombs?) to outrun FARC rebels.

20220328_103628-01.jpeg

So far that's all I can think of, the Overlanding Prius already has a fridge, air fryer, running hot water and enough sun sails if it floated it would be a Pri-acht!

What would you add to your rig or what should I modify/add to help me be the first Hybrid to cross the Gap?

jkam

nomadic man
The Army Corp of Engineers gave up on trying to make a road thru the Gap.
That should give you an idea of what to expect.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Anything is possible, but you will basically have to winch even the most capable 4x4 vehicle miles upon miles up and down mountains to make it. Using the rivers to shuttle the vehicle up and down bypasses some very difficult areas. The only expedition to make an all land crossing ( only directly crossing the rivers ) was Patty and Loren Upton. It took them years to get through JUST the Darien Gap on their around the world trip.

Loren recently passed away, but Patty has been talking about their journey more as of late. She recently did a podcast here and talks a lot about the Darien.

I'll leave out all the political issues for now.

black-jmyntrn

The Army Corp of Engineers gave up on trying to make a road thru the Gap.
That should give you an idea of what to expect.
Yeah but something tells me the FARC rebels have to drive their vehicles on some sort of man made road of a sort, right?

You will not be crossing that with even the most capable off road 4 wheeled vehicle. Not going to happen. Watch this video: https://silodrome.com/documentary-the-1978-jeep-expedition-of-the-americas/
On second thought Go For It! if you live report back, have fun!
will watch later today!

A 220v plug or two would help. But kudos to you! You should ping Toyota and see if they will sponsor!
I plan on adding more battery power with additional kWh's.

Anything is possible, but you will basically have to winch even the most capable 4x4 vehicle miles upon miles up and down mountains to make it. Using the rivers to shuttle the vehicle up and down bypasses some very difficult areas. The only expedition to make an all land crossing ( only directly crossing the rivers ) was Patty and Loren Upton. It took them years to get through JUST the Darien Gap on their around the world trip.

Loren recently passed away, but Patty has been talking about their journey more as of late. She recently did a podcast here and talks a lot about the Darien.

I'll leave out all the political issues for now.
hmmm... okay synthetic rope and that rear winch idea will be implemented!

I have no input regarding your trip but that is the coolest Prius I've ever seen.

I say go for it.
:: making me blush : thanks!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
What is yer point.....

Given the Darrien Gap is east/west.... if you drive south or north you must cross it. The only way around it is by sea, the Caribbean or the Pacific.

The OP asked about crossing the Darien Gap....not going around it....

Here is a pretty good list to get you started, it hasn't been many. I am lucky enough to know a few of them.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Start waterproofing every connection and motor and supply source!! It will spend considerable time submerged or in mud deep enough to vanish!
Keeping it light wil be next most important priority.
Minimalistic like motorcycle travel- sleep in hammock with bug nets, water purifier, etc etc.

jkam

nomadic man
And make sure you are well armed.
That is not the friendliest place to travel these days.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
A few more helpful tips for you if you want to dig into it further.

Google maps/earth has shockingly poor coverage of the area. I'm not sure they aren't doing it on purpose at this point because of issues with the drug trade, FARC, and people crossing borders on foot. I found that GAIA GPS actually has better maps and sat images available of the area along with more 'new' road info.

It is only really possible to cross in a wheeled vehicle during the 'dry' season. That is January-March most years, but this is the tropics and that means this is more like the 'doesn't rain as much' season.

You want to cross from North to South generally speaking. There has only been ONE vehicle expedition that crossed south to north and they had to float the river systems a lot to do it.

The jumping off point these days, roads end on the Columbia side, is Boca de Cupe or close to it.

The next road is at Riosucio in Columbia on the other side of the Rio Atrato River.

Even the strictest all-land crossing of the Darien Gap is going to require a solution for crossing many rivers along the way. Historically, this is done by loading the vehicle on multiple canoes lashed together and the vehicle has to have a way to load and unload itself up/down the steep banks of those rivers.

It is 'only' about 50 air miles from road to road through the jungle.

Personally, I am the least worried about the off-road vehicle stuff. I am most worried about the kidnapping and getting shot part. This is currently one of the most dangerous areas on the planet.

jkam

nomadic man
I decided to skip the Darien when I was out and about.
It wasn't worth the chance of destroying my motorcycle in an attempt.
I flew my bike to Equador because at the time Colombia was still unsafe for moto travel.

So, if you aren't afraid of destroying your Prius on just getting thru the Darien, then by all means go ahead.
But, if you want to continue on in your adventure to get to all 7 continents, then you need to forget doing things that wiil likely keep you from getting that done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior