A Lifted Overlanding Prius | Crossing Darién Gap | What's Needed?

1000arms

gawd I hate it when people just want to argue with zero input for the OP.... I'm done here.
... I just added to my ignore list a moment ago. ...
Zero input? I actually gave very direct info about people who drove across the Darien Gap. Multiple posts actually. Sorry you missed those.
You made some good points and asked a very relevant question, but apparently @billiebob has added you to his "ignore" list.

Welcome to the club! :)

Last edited:

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
@Dan Grec Any comments, thoughts, suggestions, warnings, and/or stories?

To be clear, I shipped around the Darien, Jeep in a container from Colon, Panama to Cartegena, Colombia. That's what 99.99999% of people driving the Pan-Am do.

When it comes to crossing the Darien, I met quite a few backpackers that did it.
In terms of taking a vehicle, it's just a debate about how long your vehicle will be floating on some kind of canoe/barge/raft/boat/whatver-you-can-make. The simple fact is your vehicle WILL be floating at some point. If it floats for 100 yards or 30 miles... it will be floating.

So really, you're just going to drive as far south as is physically possible in Panama, then start talking to locals. You'll meet people that know stuff, that can help you buy or rent some kind of raft or boat or something, and someone is going to know where you can take it to so that you can drive off the other side into Colombia.

Can it be done? absolutely without question.
Will it be a massive adventure - yes for sure.

Have fun!

-Dan

MontySquareo

Well, after 49 States (a picture in front of each Welcome to the State Sign) and a trip to San Felipe, Baja California for Christmas, a drive to Cabo is on the 2023 agenda. The thought of taking a ferry to the main land crosses my mind as the goal now is to drive this Prius some how on all seven continents.
View attachment 767117

As my mind starts to think through logistics, I wondered... Could this Prius successfully cross Darién Gap? Some internet reading let me know lots of migrants are passing through, which should make for more areas this little car's tires can stick to and guide us through the Gap. right?

View attachment 767116

When I read it took 8 days to cross on Kawasaki KLR motorcycles, it makes me think what should I prepare myself for? Aside from the new AWD system with a rear electric motor more powerful than what's in the Rav4 Prime, the below is my initial upgrades since most vehicles don't float.

View attachment 767118
View attachment 767120
(above: yes that's a 4500lbs winch hidden in the front bumper)

Initial Upgrades Needed:
-Complete Underbody Skid Plates (In my head if I'm sliding down a hillside, I don't want to get caught on anything, or maybe I do)
-Some sort of either once or multiple use quick inflating under car emergency raft system (best thought contact an emergency lift raft company for a custom fit raft using cO2 to quickly fill)
-Enough speed and diversionary tools (explosives? smoke bombs?) to outrun FARC rebels.

View attachment 767119

So far that's all I can think of, the Overlanding Prius already has a fridge, air fryer, running hot water and enough sun sails if it floated it would be a Pri-acht!

What would you add to your rig or what should I modify/add to help me be the first Hybrid to cross the Gap?
is there a thread somewhere? i wanta know how you got/built this Prius and maybe the story of what you did traveling the USA.

lost1

Ed Culberson did it :
Obsessions Die Hard: A Motorcycle Adventure Across the Pan-American Highway's Darién Gap Paperback – March 15, 2021

jkam

nomadic man
My buddy told me that the Chinese are going to build a road thru the Darien gap.
It will be quite the undertaking, but then you will be able to take your Prius thru without road problems.
Other problems will probably still make it an adventure to do.

craig333

Expedition Leader
I think you need to put down the crack pipe. I read the story of Mark Smiths expedition. I'd have made it six, maybe seven days before bailing out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online