A Trip Around Michigan

JeepMI

Observer
I guess since this is my first post I will start by introducing myself. I Ben, I live in the Detroit, MI area. I am 16 years old and have been wheeling since about 13 when my dad let me drive his Jeep Wrangler Rubicon on the Silver Lake Sand Dunes. I have been hooked since. I currently have a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 5.2 V8, NP249, stock for now, but I have a BB and 31's waiting to be installed after I fix it. Unfortunately, it didn't make this trip but next time... Anyway, I really like this forum and can't wait to start doing this expedition stuff myself.

Anyway onto the trip. The vehicles in this trip were my parents 30' Ford motor home (yeah, we were roughin' it) and my dads 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon mentioned earlier. The Rubicon is equipped with a 2" lift, 33" Pro Comp M/T, Winch, Sway bar discos, and of course the factory lockers and stuff.

Day 1:

Starting off in Metro Detroit we made the 5 hour trip (took us 6-7, we take our time) to Mackinaw, MI. The Jeep was flat towed behind the motor home.

We spent the remainder of the day seeing Mackinaw:

DSC_0916.jpg

DSC_0918.jpg

DSC_0919.jpg

DSC_0921.jpg

DSC_0925.jpg

The Family, Dad, Mom, Little Brother Matt (8 years old)

DSC_0927.jpg

Kickin' back:

DSC_0935.jpg

DSC_0937.jpg

Last edited:

JeepMI

Observer
Day 2:

Dad and I take a trip to Drummond Island in the Jeep while the others stay back.

Leaving at about 9:30:

DSC_0938.jpg

Going over the bridge:

DSC_0939.jpg

DSC_0943.jpg

DSC_0944.jpg

On the Ferry to the island.

DSC_0946.jpg

DSC_0947.jpg

We had two places we really wanted to see, Marblehead and Shale Beach. So, we bought a map and found what we though may be the right trail and gave it a shot.

Well, after a few hours we realized, this probably isn't the right trail but we kept going.

DSC_0948.jpg

DSC_0949.jpg

DSC_0950.jpg

JeepMI

Observer
New shoes, nice and dirty:

DSC_0951.jpg

DSC_0956.jpg

First stop, lunch time on a nice beach:

DSC_0957.jpg

DSC_0958.jpg

DSC_0960.jpg

DSC_0962.jpg

DSC_0963.jpg

Then at some point we turned onto a new trail:

DSC_0965.jpg

JeepMI

Observer
After walking around for a bit we headed back out, looking for Marblehead.

We found it, I tried first. There were some ATV guys at the top going "holy cow, that thing walked right up". Gotta love lockers.

After that, I got out and took pictures of dad trying it:

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp115/Jeepguts
/Upper%20Peninsula%202009/DSC_0985.jpg

DSC_0986.jpg

DSC_0988.jpg

DSC_0989.jpg

DSC_0992.jpg

We took a quick walk with our new ATV friends past the "no motorized vehicles" sign and found this, a 200 foot cliff with a great view:

DSC_0993.jpg

Whoa.

DSC_0998.jpg

DSC_1000.jpg

JeepMI

Observer
Dad taking it all in:

DSC_1009.jpg

DSC_1010.jpg

DSC_1001.jpg

We were tired, so we started to head out. We found a nice beach on the way:

DSC_1027.jpg

DSC_1029.jpg

DSC_1030.jpg

We grabbed some tasty pizza at a local shop and we tried to race to the ferry only to miss it by about a minute.

But, while waiting we saw this:

DSC_1032.jpg

JeepMI

Observer
Day 3:

Back in Mackinaw, we spent the next couple days checking out the city.

Only thing notable was that I went parasailing, it was a blast. I gave in just this once and had my mom take my camera and try to get pictures but I was way to far out.

DSC_1034.jpg

DSC_1037.jpg

Day 5:
(There were a few days of no picture taking...)

We headed to Sault Ste. Marie, to spend a few days checking it out. My dad has an interview at the fire dept. on Monday and we wanted to check it out before making a commitment to move.

Of course, we had to take the Soo Locks Boat Tour:

DSC_1060.jpg

DSC_1055.jpg

DSC_1063.jpg

DSC_1064.jpg

JeepMI

Observer
Back on land we took a back road to check out some nice houses and we were about 20 feet from the St. Marys River when this came cruising by:

DSC_1090.jpg

These sailors were very cool, they were outside waiving. They were so closed I yelled and asked them where they headed, I forgot what they said though...

I could get used to this everyday:

DSC_1095.jpg

We then headed down down to St Ignace, where we spent a couple days hanging out on their amazing beaches, and eating at a delicious tiny restaurant. I had whitefish for breakfast and dinner for those two days.

Unfortunately, no pictures. Too busy relaxing I suppose.

Day 8:

Final stop, Silver Lake Sand Dunes:

We were meeting up with my older brother who couldn't make the rest of the trip. So we got to the campground, set up camp, made a fire and my brother show up in his Grand Cherokee.

We were talking for a little while, hanging out at the campfire when he realized he needed vouchers to get onto the sand dunes tomorrow, and the voucher center closes in ten minutes. He rushes into the his Jeep and backs up not seeing a campsite marker and did this:

DSC_1097.jpg

I was honestly amazing at the thing basically blowing apart because he scraped up against a little pole...

Well, it destroyed the header panel, bumper, and a couple other things. So we duct taped it all back on and ran it.

Last shots I took were when I left my dad at the beach with my mom and took his Jeep for a spin. I ended up getting into a little race with a V8 Grand Cherokee up the big hill. :sombrero:

I6>V8

I smoked him, in fact I had enough time at the top to get out and take pictures of him just making it up:

DSC_1099.jpg

And the last shot, right before leaving:

DSC_1098.jpg

Well that is all. I know it is not how most of you do it, with the motor home as the tow rig and all. But, it was still fun.

Hope you enjoyed my pictures. :smiley_drive:

Last edited:

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Nice job Ben! Great job with the pictures and writeup. That's a great first post. You guys covered alot of area, good for you.

chrisngrod

Went to Mackinac Island at the beginning of this month. Took pictures at some of the same spots.

Looks like you had a good time.

4 play

Observer
You are a very lucky young man. I would have killed for time like that when I was 16 years old. You took some very nice pics. I hope to get my 70year old father to the U.P. next year. Keep up the good work.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
Excellent report and great pics as well! You have a good eye for the pic-taking I think. I look forward to more reports about you & your dad taking trips.

If you ever have any questions while on Drummond Island, just go to the Bear Track Inn and ask Steve Walker. He knows the trails on the island inside & out. The restraunt also serves a great breakfast too. Fossil Ledges is a nice stop up on the north side of the island out past the Maxton Plains. My wife and I were up there in May and helped resign a bunch of the trails to ORV Routes. Its a great place for a nice trailride!

I myself get bored at Silver Lake after a trip or 2 around them but to each their own. One of my co-workers is over there about every weekend over the summer. There are a lot of nice toys their to look at too.

Another spot you guys may consider going is Rocks & Valleys Offroad Park in Harrison. Your dad may be a little worried about going to an ORP but there is something there for everyone. I don't have a heck of a lot done to my Tacoma and I had a blast. I have been to other ORPs and got bored because everything was made for Jeeps on at least 35s. This place is awesome! Ron Price is the host and a great one at that. He will be happy to help you out in any way he can.

Once again, thanks for the excellent report! The ship pics are great. I got hundreds of them on my PC from trips to the Soo, Welland Canal and locally taken.

taco2go

Explorer
Nice pictorial and trip report Ben! I like that last shot of those expansive dunes. Another warm welcome to the Portal from a fellow Michigander.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle