@Adrifters - F550 Surf Camper Build - Adrift Motorhome

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
Made some progress on the truck. The goodyears are slightly taller and wider than the conti mpt81's, so I had to relieve a lateral support a bit to clear them.

Awesome thread! Subscribing! And just for the record, how many hours (minutes) before you cut up and welded a brand new truck? :wings:

S2DM

Adventurer
You got it exactly. Day I got the truck it went for stereo installation and sound deadening which I hate to do. Two days later, it was cut. I woke up that night and had a "what am I doing" moment ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S2DM

Adventurer
ps - it's fords fault. I would have been more cautious if they didn't make me wait 19 weeks for it to get here!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S2DM

Adventurer
Lift Trial Video:

[video]https://youtu.be/V4Z4eOFPe5o[/video]

A bit of fun progress. It wasn't a major accomplishment per se, but really felt like a turning point in the project.

Photobucket vid link below:

Last edited:

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
[video]https://youtu.be/V4Z4eOFPe5o[/video]

A bit of fun progress, trial of the lifters. It wasn't a major accomplishment per se, but really felt like a turning point in the project.

I like this... and I bet it felt pretty good to get it to that point.

S2DM

Adventurer
Got the cutting done and a test fitting of the fenders. Went through a brief phase of buyers remorse over the size of the tires with the fenders off, but they look at a little less extreme with the fenders on. Still wish there was a 37-39" tire that was weight rated for an f550.

Healeyjet

Explorer
Totally agree on the tire size. A nice 37-39"" tire rated to 6500 lbs would have solved a lot of issues for us as well. The scale will be reduced again once you get the camper on. Do the flares totally cover the tires outer edge to outer edge?
Ward

S2DM

Adventurer
Totally agree on the tire size. A nice 37-39"" tire rated to 6500 lbs would have solved a lot of issues for us as well. The scale will be reduced again once you get the camper on. Do the flares totally cover the tires outer edge to outer edge?
Ward

They do. The original offering didnt, and it was one of my stipulations. The company rebuilt the mold to extend it for the bigger tires, then I rebuilt the fenders themselves to add rigidity (few layers of glass and carbon). Given the width of our rigs track width, the fenders are going to encounter everything first. I may try to widen the bumper a bit to help on that front.

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
Would it be easier to some ARB style side tube like you see on a lot of Australian cruisers ? Give yourself a little side protection so your tires and tubes act as primary contact.

Healeyjet

Explorer
Cummins, do you mean like a "roo rack" across the front extended out to cover the front of the wheel?
Ward

S2DM

Adventurer
Just took the first test drive and the goodyears are much, much, much quieter and smoother than the mpt81s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior