@Adrifters - F550 Surf Camper Build - Adrift Motorhome

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
The pockets in the roof are for our longer surfboards and also act as a full length safari roof. I wanted a way to bring the longboards without covering the solar panels. The Panels sit down in a protected pocket........
Your whole project has been awesome, but that is to the 10th power. I can't wait to see photos of the truck next to the beach with the boards in their special slots (moments before you pull them out and hit the breaks) :sombrero:

S2DM

Adventurer
Your whole project has been awesome, but that is to the 10th power. I can't wait to see photos of the truck next to the beach with the boards in their special slots (moments before you pull them out and hit the breaks) :sombrero:

Thanks! Glad to hear people are liking it. Been a little overwhelmed with how much effort this has been. Can't wait to get her parked someplace out of a corona commercial and start to enjoy it!

S2DM

Adventurer
Door-saster finally coming to an end

Getting this doors to play nice with each other, close easily, leave enough room for mechanisms to pass by each other as it goes up and down, but keep them close enough to weather strip, hasn't been fun.

Doors are still really rough finish wise, but the mechanisms all work (finally!).

S2DM

Adventurer
Awesome! Will they be connected or will you have to open tow doors each time?

Two doors each time. I did the handles such that you could open both doors with the top down. Wanted it that way so that you could open them both from the ground before you went up a ladder. We designed a pretty cool articulating door assembly that worked on sliders and opened as a single unit, but I felt like it might be great in concept but extremely difficult to execute. Particularly so given everything has a little flex to it.

The upper door has a magnetic catch assembly that allows it to be left open and the lower door has a rail handle on the inside that will let it be used as a hand rail when going up the stairs.

S2DM

Adventurer
Finally got the articulating wall mechanism in, which should be that last mechanical system work prior to paint. Pretty excited this worked as well as it did.

Its a cable lift system, used 1/8" amsteel blue and quite a few pulley blocks and fairleads from harken. Also had to route out a channel in the roof to hide the front set of cables in a tube of 3/8 stainless.

The power comes from a worm gear winch which ultimately will be controlled by a variable speed 12v motor on a switch near the bed. Started really large.

Cut out two of the spools and used the space between the gear and the spool wall as a spool since I'm only collecting 12" of 1/8" line. Here it is installed.

And the whole system going back through the recessed tubing. Lifting a sledgehammer here to test it.

Last edited:

S2DM

Adventurer
With the wall in place and up, the whole system looks like this.

The worm gear winch allows us to lower the articulating wall so in fair weathered campsites we can lower it down and be open air. We've planned a deployable bug screen for when we want the air but not the buggies. Here it is down. Heather likes it! It is set up to be able to lower all the way down, but 12" seems to be the right amount for routine use.

Here are two vids of the up and down. Ignore the sound, my compressor decided to run in the middle of both vids :)

Everything going up:

https://youtu.be/t6J6a4xUe6M

Articulating wall coming down by itself:

https://youtu.be/svZjXHDiO84

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Super cool.

May have missed it, but what are your plans for seals between the sections?

Whiskers too?

S2DM

Adventurer
Super cool.

May have missed it, but what are your plans for seals between the sections?

Whiskers too?

Its gonna be a combo of relatively tight alignment and sealing with delrin/ptfe, brush seals and rubber flaps. I must confess that it's an area I still haven't totally sorted out how to handle. The articulating wall actually seals very well, I have a couple stainless profiles on the inside that catch the exposed edges and cover them. The lift mechanism has been a complete work in progress and sent me back to the drawing board a few times. I started with accuride sliders everywhere, but they weren't quite so well suited to this. I switched to a more rigid track and carriage system that holds things much tighter, and has allowed me to use more solid weather stripping.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Pretty cool setup, and seems to work very well. If there is ever an issue with the 12v motor you are going to install, will you still have access to run it with a drill like it appeared you did in the demo vid? You know, as a backup?

Slick build, really digging it.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Ahh... good call. Backup systems are always a good idea. That was one of the things I was not very happy about with our last Tent Trailer... power/cable lift system with NO backup. The cable broke once too, as we were closing it up for a 7 day camping trip.

That sucked. 3 hours at the RV shop to get it sorted out.

Backup systems are good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle