Adult w/ vehicle ADD- Excursion vs 3/4T '88 Burb- need an intervention pls!!

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Don't give into the ADD! Having said that... doing a full build on the Suburban would be cool. A Cummins would make that rig unstoppable. Damn! Now you have me thinking...

Ah Ha- I think it is the square body curse- it just begs for a build!!!

I didn't even 'need' the K-30, but once you see/hear it in person, it's irresistible!! Like I said initially- Caddy motor, D60 front.... Dantes Peak....

bootlegger

Observer
Other than the starter, you only need one "hot" wire to make a 12 valve Cummins run.
It will run underwater with air supply.

RKraft

Observer
My opinion is go with the Excursion since it is almost done and since I have a 00 Excursion. Also agree with the 12v Cummins suggestions which is what I plan on doing to mine and lots of super duty's running around for parts. Besides yours is same color scheme as mine and you have it setup close to how I want to set mine up. Of course just my 2 cents either way they are both good choices.
Randy
roof rack 4.jpg

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Other than the starter, you only need one "hot" wire to make a 12 valve Cummins run.
It will run underwater with air supply.

Understood- we do diesel conversions on Rovers regularly. However, the payback isn't there from a cost perspective- from a cool perspective, returns in spades!!

In that light, the biggest issue with the 'burb, for my application, is the towing duty with the SBC. The X works as is, while the 'burb needs more muscle, aka, more $$ regardless of swap. I love the 'burb, but I am leaning towards the X... And if a swap is in the cards, a PSD in the X shouldn't be too difficult given all the factory bits available. Cheaper than buying a low mile factory example for sure!

To muddy the waters, I already have a total knee, a shoulder replacement with the second one scheduled for Dec, and four cervical vertebrae fused. With that said, another project isn't too appealing right now. But, neither is one down the road, so this selection is paramount to continued vehicular travels...

Thanks Randy- have seen your X on other threads and like it obviously ;-) I do have a bigger front aluminum skid if you ever have the need...

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Given your knee, shoulder etc, I would lean towards the Excursion. I think it offers a bunch more creature comforts. As a bonus, its built already, and you know it inside and out.

I was interested in your trailer choice too. Neat concept, but the one impracticality is having to unload any cargo you have on it in order to set up the tent. I think a custom trailer with a high mounted RTT is far more usefull. I would hate to have to unload my motorcycle etc in order to go to sleep.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I was interested in your trailer choice too. Neat concept, but the one impracticality is having to unload any cargo you have on it in order to set up the tent. I think a custom trailer with a high mounted RTT is far more usefull. I would hate to have to unload my motorcycle etc in order to go to sleep.

I have tried near all the trailers- Conquerer Base Camp, Kimberly, Jumping Jack, RTT, ground tent, etc, and for me at this point, the ability to have a small light weight trailer when needed in lieu of the big car hauler is a huge plus. Also, items mounted on top do not need to be unloaded- bikes, boards, etc. And to off load the motorcycle is pretty simple and straight forward- single item, which I typically don't take with on family trips. However, to have a freebie motorcycle trailer isn't bad either ;-) And, I keep my tentcot for solo trips- have had many years and love it!! Light, fast setup, and comfy!!

In all honesty, this little trailer can be towed with about anything- would look a bit silly behind the big X, and has minimal tongue weight for hitch up time. Lots of flexibility, and fairly inexpensive considering all the duties it can preform. I would likely be able to nix the K-30, and still pull it with the Disco if so inclined. If we don't start wheeling a bit more, the Disco will go as well, accomplishing the single vehicle goal. Wife drives a newer Taurus getting 30+ mpg easily on trips, and high 20's toting kids and such. I work at home, so fuel consumption for me is minimal.

Looking more like the X with each post- thanks all for the feedback/opinions, as they stimulate new considerations- what a great forum!!

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I'm Voting for the X. Keep the Disco as well. Sell the 'burb after it's cleaned up, or keep it for a local beater.

Last edited:

98dango

Expedition Leader
I understand the want to down size the fleet. Not long ago we where a family of 2 with a fleet of 6 running and 3 projects. Now with a fleet of 2 I'm much happier and less stressed time and money wise.

I am down to a superduty on 35s and the wife chose a 2003 1/2 ton p/u. Wehad a go fast car a rock crawler a ramxharger and a taho. We dumped 2 payments and a load of stress. I do find my self looking at jeeps lately but must not want one to bad cuz I haven't bought one.

I still hold fast to keep the X sell the rest feed the shoe box under your bed. You have extra money for trips mabie a.new bike or 2.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I just couldn't sell that Disco. Huge loss. All of those aftermarket parts and wrench time gone. Disco's are worth as little as a Ford Exploder around here.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Just to throw another idea into the fold... What about going to a UJOR E350 4x4 as the sole do anything rig? Sell all the rigs and join the club!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
The suburban. Cheaper parts. Easier to work on......

In the end I will agree with this^ but just to be fair I will l list what I see as the four solutions to your dilemma.

A) If you are the "need a project" type sell the Ford and the Disco and build the Burb. Then rebuild every 5-15 years as needed.
B) If you are the "keep it for a while til I'm bored" type sell the Burb and the Disco, keep the already complete Excursion until it gives you trouble or you're tired of it.
C) If you are the "cool kid" type then sell the domestics and drive the hell out of that Disco, grimace when you get the service bills and repeat.
D) If you are the "absolutely insane" type then keep them all like a boss. (the more I think about it this option is growing on me lol)

Again I would personally build that burb and drive it forever, but that is just me.

Last edited:

xbox73

Adventurer
Sell the 'Burb, K30 AND the X!!

Buy a '00 X with the 7.3L PSD. Swap the cool bits (front bumper, winch, tire gate, headlights, etc.) from your gasser X onto the diesel X, before selling the gasser X.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Okay, in order:

The Disco is likely worth what I have it, as I build Defenders, and had a good many of the parts. Plus, the D-Is are finally becoming a bit of a classic- at least rust free, moderately built ones. This one has many original period correct bits, but still is a hoot to drive, and surprises many folks where it will go with minimal effort. End of the day, if I sell it and the ****, there is a decent pot of $$$ to travel, and two less vehicles to maintain.

Believe it or not, I have shrunk the fleet, and love the freedom of same- now to get serious about it, and attempt to be down to a normal one vehicle count- or at maximum two... And yes, it is very liberating!!

Had a Quigley, and loved it- until I found out that as they- the vans, were not designed to have 4wd(I knew this part, but not the next), and the engine has to come out the bottom. So, axle, suspension, etc, etc has to be removed and we had the 6.0, so it was likely same would occur. Anyway, a very solid suggestion, and would consider same if I wasn't where I am currently with vehicles- but would opt for the 6.8. Great engine!!

A) Need a project: historically correct, but trying to break the habit- and am somewhat forced to do so physically.
B) Keep it a while: trying to, and will likely keep the X and the Disco for now, but likely the Disco will depart too. But the realization of how difficult to find one in that condition is very real, and it may be the DD as the X is a bit XXL ;-)
C) Cool kid: Never, and I do all my service work- carry a shop manual, tools, and spares. It is a Rover...
D) Keep them all: trying to quit, as this is my Achilles!!

Lastly, PSD- wanted that as first choice, but equal truck with equal miles was triple what I paid. Cheaper to convert this one, but regardless, the payback isn't there.

I got to drive the 'burb a bit, and while very nice, quiet and smooth, it shows it's age when compared to the X (mostly things like interior noise, controls, maybe think polish- the X is a dozen years younger while still being 14 years old!!)) . So, I think I will keep the X, add a few more touches- AC converter, rear camera, etc. Keep the Disco for now- may sell it sooner than later. Put a set of H-2 wheels and tires on the 'burb, which I have, and likely the Warn winch bumper I have for it, and let her go. Lastly, if I can not risk being beheaded by my 7yo son, sell the K30, and go with the Sylvan trailer/camper- and sell off the pair of M101s. Now if I can just refrain from getting another motorcycle- have ridden 40+ years, never without a bike, until two years ago when all the surgeries started. Hmmm, maybe an old Transalp, or a sweet XR1200...

Thanks again for all the input, and feel free to continue, as being a vehicular ADD person, I might could be swayed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears