After 8 years in a full size, moving back to a mid-size - Recommendations?

Sooper Camper

Adventurer
2011 QX56 owner here...I broke a couple rules buying ours: 1st model year vehicle, obvious signs of neglect and low speed crash damage, 150k+ on it. It was barely drivable when I bought it, and a month later I drove from CA all the way to the San Juans in the middle of a heat wave...didn't skip a beat. Don't let my experience fool you, I think they're rock solid. Most of what I've fixed/replaced was deferred maintenance and obvious abuse by previous owners. Zero regrets selling a built GX470 to build the QX56. It's a very under-rated platform in terms of its capability and comfort.

I actually get the same or better mileage in the QX on 35s than I did in my GX on 33s under similar conditions, but the power difference is no comparison even if the bigger vehicle weighs a lot more.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
So this whole issue is officially moot now. We terminated the contract on the house with the shorter garage because the house needed a new roof (to the tune of $21,000) and the sellers refused to pay for it, so we walked away.

We just went under contract on a house in a different part of Pueblo. This one also has a 3 car garage and when we went to look at it I made sure to bring my measuring tape this time. The garage depth is 22 1/2 feet in one of the three bays, so more than enough for my F-150.

So I'll be keeping my F-150 for at least the next 3 1/2 years or so, planning to keep it until it has about 100k on it (extended warranty runs through July 2026 or 104,000 miles, whichever comes first.)

Speaking of warranty, I just had my first use of the Ford ESP warranty and it was an effortless experience: I called the Ford dealer, explained my issue (CEL and low oil pressure warning - my guess was a faulty sensor and that was correct) as well as a weeping valve cover gasket. Both were fixed under the ESP warranty and my out-of-pocket deductible was $100. Easy Peasy.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
So this whole issue is officially moot now. We terminated the contract on the house with the shorter garage because the house needed a new roof (to the tune of $21,000) and the sellers refused to pay for it, so we walked away.

We just went under contract on a house in a different part of Pueblo. This one also has a 3 car garage and when we went to look at it I made sure to bring my measuring tape this time. The garage depth is 22 1/2 feet in one of the three bays, so more than enough for my F-150.

So I'll be keeping my F-150 for at least the next 3 1/2 years or so, planning to keep it until it has about 100k on it (extended warranty runs through July 2026 or 104,000 miles, whichever comes first.)

Speaking of warranty, I just had my first use of the Ford ESP warranty and it was an effortless experience: I called the Ford dealer, explained my issue (CEL and low oil pressure warning - my guess was a faulty sensor and that was correct) as well as a weeping valve cover gasket. Both were fixed under the ESP warranty and my out-of-pocket deductible was $100. Easy Peasy.
Housing market has gone into the dumpster starting last month. Family member long time Agent in the same office 35yrs. Typical office average was 20-30 transactions a month. Last month they had three!!!! My brothers business deals with loans and his loan guy said he’s had an hour of work in the last 5 weeks.

As for the roof thing… I place the blame on RE Agents for the list at top market value with a aged out roof. Its like selling a car asking top primo dollar and it’s sitting on junk wheels and rotten tires🤦‍♂️. Its baffling to me that sellers struggle with that.

Hell insurance companies are getting smart and denying coverage based on junk roofing now days.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Housing market has gone into the dumpster starting last month. Family member long time Agent in the same office 35yrs. Typical office average was 20-30 transactions a month. Last month they had three!!!! My brothers business deals with loans and his loan guy said he’s had an hour of work in the last 5 weeks.

As for the roof thing… I place the blame on RE Agents for the list at top market value with a aged out roof. Its like selling a car asking top primo dollar and it’s sitting on junk wheels and rotten tires🤦‍♂️. Its baffling to me that sellers struggle with that.

Hell insurance companies are getting smart and denying coverage based on junk roofing now days.

I think this is a hangover from the crazy market of 2020 - 2022 where houses were selling literally within hours of being listed and bidding wars were driving prices up to $50k above asking price. People then were just so happy to get a house they didn't look twice at things like an old roof and they didn't ask for concessions.

So then sellers got complacent thinking "all I have to do is list this and it will sell immediately." Well, not anymore.

I do have a bit of trepidation about selling our house (we're going to move first and then sell.) But the good news is that the high interest rates have kept a lot of people from listing their houses for sale so we still have a criticial under supply in the Denver area. Fingers crossed it stays that way and we are able to sell. We have budgeted for at least 3 months of having to make 2 house payments and I'm hopeful that when the new year starts we'll see a dip in interest rates and an increase in buyers.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable

Real estate peaks and valleys start in places like your area- we seem to be more insulated- still a hot market but it’s never hit the crazy high or low here.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I think this is a hangover from the crazy market of 2020 - 2022 where houses were selling literally within hours of being listed and bidding wars were driving prices up to $50k above asking price. People then were just so happy to get a house they didn't look twice at things like an old roof and they didn't ask for concessions.

So then sellers got complacent thinking "all I have to do is list this and it will sell immediately." Well, not anymore.

I do have a bit of trepidation about selling our house (we're going to move first and then sell.) But the good news is that the high interest rates have kept a lot of people from listing their houses for sale so we still have a criticial under supply in the Denver area. Fingers crossed it stays that way and we are able to sell. We have budgeted for at least 3 months of having to make 2 house payments and I'm hopeful that when the new year starts we'll see a dip in interest rates and an increase in buyers.
As a buyer in this market I will say this! Cash buyers are shopping!! But they are different buyers. Cash buyers are savy money people that research the heck out of comps and market history.

The biggest driving factor to cash buyers is the stock market which is coming down some. (Probably a small dip) but its down currently.

Also cash buyers are primarily shopping 2nd home areas for the most part. Primary home areas are definitely in the hurt locker with interest rates. However!! Housing shortages will ultimately drive strong prices after this minor dip. I suspect we’ll see ok home sales next spring. When the stock market pops back and buyers decide 6-8% loan interest is the new reality the sales will jump again. But I don’t expect bidding wars, and over priced property to do well given money costs more and buyers are going to be far more selective 👍

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Real estate peaks and valleys start in places like your area- we seem to be more insulated- still a hot market but it’s never hit the crazy high or low here.
I’m in the hottest Ca markets that saw slow sales during the 08 mess but little in price changes. Today its slowed way down and over priced stuff is just straight up ignored. Market rate stuff sells in 15 days still. The second home region we are looking in is definitely tied to stock market trends and cash buyer only right now.

I also think the ask lottery price and buyer offer ask then literally nickel and dime the deal down is over also. Offer the market value, negotiate the big issues if any exist and git er done. 👍

Last edited:

luckyjoe

Adventurer
BTW for those who were saying "just park the truck outside" here is a photo from this morning that explains why I'm so insistent on parking the truck in the garage:
Yup, we’re moving is six months, going from an 2-bay to 4-bay garage. I’ll get down to four vehicles by then...
Inventory issues seem to be the biggest hurdle.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
BTW for those who were saying "just park the truck outside" here is a photo from this morning that explains why I'm so insistent on parking the truck in the garage:
I get that. Doubtful I'll ever find a garage up here in the city to house my supercrew 6.5 bed. I've found a snow rake helps make brushing snow off the truck easier though....

999999-856890003139_6.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998

Members online