Airbag coil spring helpers

AKRover

Adventurer
Anyone using them and how would you rate them performance wise? I'm exploring options to help carry the weight in my Range Rover when it's fully loaded.

There are two manufactures that I have found that make them for my vehicle. One being Firestone coil-rites and the Other is Airlift 1000. Is one better than the other?

spressomon

Expedition Leader
I've been using the Airlift bags to compensate for the tongue weight of our KK trailer when in tow. No trouble with them so far. They're the best compromise, I think, between swapping springs in and out if you have different loads all the time.

Having said that if I had a consistent load on my rig I'd prefer to have a coil spring matched to the specific load range.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
I use the airlift, but I think the quality of both is about equal from what I've read. I would have had no qualms getting the firestone brand as well.

They're okay. I agree with Spressomon that if I had a constant load I'd rather have a spring suited to that specific load. But, since I sometimes tow a trailer and sometimes don't, they work as advertised.

Something that I don't remember reading in the literature that came with my kit is that it's best to air them up to the appropriate level before adding the extra load. I find that doing this helps them work better than trying to air up after adding the load.

AKRover

Adventurer
I have the OME heavy springs that carry the constant load very well, it's just when it is loaded to the hilt for a long trip that it sags a few inches. The other option would be to swap in the OME extra heavy springs but that would be quite a bit more expensive and it wouldn't ride as nice when unloaded.

Thanks for the input. Especially the bit about pressurizing the bags before loading. I have never heard that before.

4x4mike

Adventurer
I've got the Air Lift 1000's in the coils of my 4runner. They have held up great and the price was right. Simple install and no maintenance.

ExpoMike

I just did this on my Cherokee (install in the Jeep forum) and used Air Lift 1000's with my OME leaf springs. I haven't gotten out on the trail yet (with or without the trailer) but the local driving I did, it seem like a minimal change. I do notice the rear is about an 1" higher but the ride is only slightly firmer then before.

Yes, my instructions said to air them up to 60psi before loading and then air down to the level you want.

AlexJet

Explorer
I have the same dilema as when I put the trailer, my rear sags. I do run OME896 on my 4Runner and was thinking af airbags as well. In Canada it seems Firestone are easier to get.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I have been running the Airlift inner coil air bags on my 2004 4Runner for at least 2 years now. I installed them to compensate for additional weight when towing my KK trailer.

I run them around 5psi when not towing and about 20psi with the trailer in tow. They have worked very well for me.

I also plumbed them together to one air fill valve on my rear bumper. The theory being that when four wheeling and flexing the suspension, air from the compressed bag can shift across to the bag being stretched on the drooped suspension side. Due to the small air lines it's not a quick transfer but I think it helps when slowly four wheeling on rough trails.

Last edited:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Something that I don't remember reading in the literature that came with my kit is that it's best to air them up to the appropriate level before adding the extra load. I find that doing this helps them work better than trying to air up after adding the load.

I think the Airlift instructions actually do say to fill the bags before adding a load... I only noticed that when reading/installing the Airlifts, not the Firestones I had before.

I've had three sets of air-spring overloads, the first two were Firestones. The first set developed a leak in one of the fittings in the top of a bag. They were replaced under warranty. The second set failed with a split in the middle of the bag where the two halves were joined.

After months of no air-springs I purchased a set of Airlift bags. While installing them I noted that the kit seemed better. The air line is softer and there are barbs/nipples on the top of the bags. The rubbery air line is not only pressed onto the barbed fitting, but also has a little hose clamp that helps secure the line. This seems better than the press-in only air line for the Firestones.

I've had the Airlifts for a few months and so far so good. The Airlifts seem to be air tight, I can't put my finger on any leaks thus far.

Last edited:

07 Elephant

Adventurer
I run the airlift 1000's for an lc100 in my 07 4runner and I'm very pleased with them. 5psi unloaded and 20psi or so when I'm loaded down. I have custom coils that meet most of my needs but for some trips we load it down heavy using a swingaway storage box and I needed some extra load carrying capacity. Not a bad solution at all for 100$.

AKRover

Adventurer
Well it's good to know that so many people have had good luck with them. Summit Racing has the Airlift kit for $89, I think I'll order it up.

AKRover

Adventurer
I got my Firestone springs in today and started putting them in. I'm thinking that these are going to be a little short. I didn't think my OME springs were much taller than the stock ones but I guess and inch makes a differance in this case. Here it is with one of the bags installed with 0 psi. I don't have a compressor at home so I can't put any pressure in it until tomorrow but I don't see that taking up the extra space. I might have to build a spacer that bolts down to the spring retainer.

bag4.jpg

Also the base of my springs are retained by a little bracket that looks like may rub a hole in the spring. What I did for now was remove the bracket and flip the bolts over so the heads are on top.
bag1.jpg

bag2.jpg

Another thing I'm worried about is the plastic puck that is suppled with the kit seems like it could pop right out of the top of the spring perch. Not sure what I'm going to do about that. Might have to weld a pieces of flat bar across the top or something. So much for being an easy upgrade, oh well.

bag3.jpg

AKRover

Adventurer
Anyone else have any issues like this? Anyone ever install these in a coilspring converted Range Rover before?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears