Airbag coil spring helpers

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Short bags

Yes, my Firestones were a little short, mostly on articulation/full droop.

The Firestones for a stock 4Runner would have been about 7-inches long and the tallest they had in the correct width was 10-in. if my memory is correct.

When my axle would droop sometimes the bag was short, but never when sitting on the ground with the weight of the car on them.

If the suspension is back together with the weight of the car on the spring and the bags are as short as in your picture, yes I think you need a longer bag.

AlexJet

Explorer
Yes, my Firestones were a little short, mostly on articulation/full droop.

The Firestones for a stock 4Runner would have been about 7-inches long and the tallest they had in the correct width was 10-in. if my memory is correct.

That's where you go with LC bags...

4x4mike

Adventurer
I'd make a little spacer and drop it into the spring before the bag. My airlifts came with some spacers as the 4runners came with different springs over the years that the bags were spec'd for. The spacer on the bottom should also cover the bolts and protect the bags. I think the bolts you show will damage the bag.

FWIW I use a hand pump to inflate my bags. At home a bicycle floor pump and on the trail a small mountain bike pump. Compressed air can enter the bags very quickly and blow the bag or a line. I think max psi is 25 psi or something so if you use a compressor turn the regulator down to 15 psi and go from there. 15 in my setup is enough to level the rig out when it's loaded or hitched to my trailer.

07 Elephant

Adventurer
That's where you go with LC bags...

Yup. I'll add that the coils in my 07 4runner are 2.5 inches taller than stock and a custom spring and load rate. Since the coils are taller than stock the air bags for the 4runner are too short for my setup, however the LC 100 airbags are taller and fit perfectly. I think the LC coils though are a bit wider than what fit in a 4runner so the bags are snug. Which is actually a good thing because I can air them down below 5psi and not have them float around. So I don't notice any change in the ride when I don't have them aired up to carry a load.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Anyone else have any issues like this? Anyone ever install these in a coilspring converted Range Rover before?

I don't have an RR, but I had this same issue with my OME HD springs and Airlift bags.

I ordered a couple pieces of high density plastic for the height and diameter I required and dropped them right in. You can even drill a hole through which to run the air tubing if required. I simply put them on the other end, but your application may be different.

I ordered from OnlineMetals (they do plastics now too).

AlexJet

Explorer
Yup. I'll add that the coils in my 07 4runner are 2.5 inches taller than stock and a custom spring and load rate. Since the coils are taller than stock the air bags for the 4runner are too short for my setup, however the LC 100 airbags are taller and fit perfectly. I think the LC coils though are a bit wider than what fit in a 4runner so the bags are snug. Which is actually a good thing because I can air them down below 5psi and not have them float around. So I don't notice any change in the ride when I don't have them aired up to carry a load.

7" vs. 6.5" to be exact.

AlexJet

Explorer
Nope, 1/2 Ton GM truck springs have fit well for me both from Firestone and AirLift.

Maybe the Rover springs work just as well.

Have you put GM 1/2t coils on 4Runner or Airbags for GM into 4Runner coils? Didn't get what you mean....

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Sorry.

I have used air-spring overloads inside my OME coils from both Firestone and Air-Lift. The coils I used were intended for a modern 1/2-ton coil sprung GM, like a Chevy Avalanche.

Have you put GM 1/2t coils on 4Runner or Airbags for GM into 4Runner coils? Didn't get what you mean....

07 Elephant

Adventurer
Alex that may be another option for you to pursue. With my coils and the numbers I gave airlift they sent me the LC 100 coils. They fit perfectly tight. I'll add a few pic of the install for the folks here on ep.

b10fa2b7.jpg

454ca5a6.jpg

cut the bump stop that sits inside the coil.

9be79b11.jpg

I want to add that when the rig sits with my DD weight there is no gap between the air bag and the bump stop or coil mount.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Interesting that your air-line is through the bottom instead of the top as mine are.

Alex that may be another option for you to pursue. With my coils and the numbers I gave airlift they sent me the LC 100 coils. They fit perfectly tight. I'll add a few pic of the install for the folks here on ep.

b10fa2b7.jpg

454ca5a6.jpg

cut the bump stop that sits inside the coil.

9be79b11.jpg

I want to add that when the rig sits with my DD weight there is no gap between the air bag and the bump stop or coil mount.

4x4mike

Adventurer
The air lift instructions for mine said to run the line on the bottom. I ran them out the top to keep them out of harms way and make the install cleaner.

AKRover

Adventurer
So I got some of that UHMW stuff and made some of these. The plan is to add two more hole and bolt them down with the spring retainer bolts. I can also recesses the bolt heads into the plastic so they don't rub the bags.

spacer1.jpg

Then this happened so the airbags have to take a back seat for a few days.

diff1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle