Alaskan Camper Build Up

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
Carlyle;
Congratulations, I'm sure you are excited about picking up the camper.

Flatbed questions:
Have you thought about some type of headboard to protect the cab of the truck when loading the camper or using the flatbed occasionally without the camper?

When you get a chance, could you please post a few photos showing how the flatbed is mounted to the truck frame? on edit: Opps, never mind I just found those pics.

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers
Mark

Carlyle

Explorer
That pull out tool chest is a nice idea. It looks like a pickup bed box that has been adapted nicely. I wonder what they used for a slider? The sliders would have to be super stout to allow the box to be in the extended position and have the additional weight of a person and the steps. My wife is going to kill me if I start ordering more aluminum boxes... I think I'll wait until the sticker price has worn off and the camper is here and start further mods then.

One thing I did get the ok for is to put a electric leveling system on the truck this year. Rather than going with the traditional truck camper jacks that attach to the camper only we are going with electric jacks that level out the whole vehicle. Not cheap, but oh so nice to level out the camper with the push of a button and can even lift the whole truck off the ground for placement of chains or flat changes...
0b33_1.jpg

Conv_IMAGE10.jpg

Last edited:

Carlyle

Explorer
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the encouragement and I hope all is going well in the great white north. I actually had Ute cut the headboard off the flatbed as I have no intention of taking the camper off except to trade out trucks some day.
The camper will be bolted directly to the bed and frame with polymer composite buffers aka. skateboard wheels as washers to allow for the slight flex of the truck frame.

Good to hear from you Mark and keep in touch on your camper plans.

Last edited:

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Carlyle said:
One thing I did get the ok for is to put a electric leveling system on the truck this year. Rather than going with the traditional truck camper jacks that attach to the camper only we are going with electric jacks that level out the whole vehicle. Not cheap, but oh so nice to level out the camper with the push of a button and can even lift the whole truck off the ground for placement of chains or flat changes...

Hmm, flat changes, i bet that would save a LOT of time instead of trying to crawl under the rig, line up a standard jack on the frame rails, and then lift the vehicle.
Do you have a link to where you acquired those little items?

toyrunner95

Explorer
you might want to take those running boards off and put in rock sliders. with your frame you could probably weld right to it. plus it will help protect your doors of you put them out far enough, i like the all pro design for the 4runners. kept my doors and quarter panels nice and streight.

Carlyle

Explorer
Thanks for the replies and thoughts on the build. The fender is a little tight on the driver's side rear and if I start bumping it it will be coming off and the mud flaps will be on the boxes. I'll just have to wait and see if it's going to be an issue. I do like the idea of the cables on the mud flaps and will probably do that this summer and model them after the Turtle IV flaps. I'll take off the plastic front ones then as well and put rubber with cables there at the same time.

The jerry can mount is a great idea and I will look into to it. You can never have enough fuel, water or beer.

Sliders are another thing that will be coming in the future, I just wish I could weld. Any bored welders in Colorado?

Carlyle

Explorer
I've discovered what a pain it is to install tail lights on a flat bed. I ordered these cool looking 61 led lights from Superbriteleds not realizing they are European with the amber light for signaling in addition to the red and white. Off to the www (wide world waste of time, though not this time) and finally found a domestic to European light adapter and had it shipped here. Then because they're led's they did not have enough voltage draw for the standard flasher on a Ford truck and would blink very rapidly, so off again and luckily the local auto shop had the right flasher this time.

They do look good at night though.

DSC01502.jpg

and the best news of the day, Forsberg and Foote are back with the Colorado Avalanche!

Marc1

Observer
Carlyle

That is one awesome build you have going !!! Gongrats. I am contemplating something similar but with a 8ft alaskan NCO. Could you please tell me which dealer you ordered your UTE from and a ball park figure of cost ?

Thanks in advance,

Marc

Last edited:

Carlyle

Explorer
Hi Marc

I ordered the Ute directly from Ute Ltd in Seattle and I was told not to give out the price as it was a one time for a demo unit. Suffice to say I got a great deal, but they are actually a good deal to start with even imported from Australia.

boblynch

Adventurer
Last August I contacted them regarding a ballpark price for a full size long bed. The dealer cost at that time was $2227 plus freight from Seattle. Randy Cryer (randy@uteltd.com) was very prompt returning all of my email questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears