All-Pro Offroad's Billy the 4Runner! Help us build it!

Rexsname

Explorer
As much as possible keep all modifications invisible, Low range gear set.....Tru-tracs in the differentials, very low profile roof rack, stock wheels. Let driver skill trump 'look at me'.

REX

montypower

Adventure Time!
Go crazy with it. Fit some 37s with as little lift as possible. Make it a go anywhere rock crawler / camping / adventure rig. If you wanted a true "expedition" rig this is a poor base... Weak motor, not comfortable, tiny gas tank, limited storage, noisy. Build it for what it does best trails and rocks.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Im not really familiar with any Toyotas but like many people said, making it a sleeper would be great. The rock rails that come on the rubicons, they are very subtle and yet work as intended. Do what you guys do with the suspension and overhault it but don't get too crazy on the lift. Advertising to folks with this similar vehicle whom bought theirs back in high school and have had it for a long while would be interested in keeping their 4runners looking near stock but the ability to perform better and more comfortable without going crazy, that will click with your target group. I don't know how much you guys can rock the interior but that, IMHO, will make or break this build. Getting it to look near stock on the outside is one thing. But being able to refresh the interior for the exploring type, that's that above and beyond with attention to detail we consumers love to see in a build.
`
Cheers

MotoDave

Explorer
My vote is swap in the 4 cylinder manual transmission drivetrain from the current tacoma, run 33x10.5's (or 255/85/16) and keep is stock-ish looking.

84scrambler

Observer
it looks great i kick my self for selling my 1st gen every time i think about it, i just noticed you guys moved north, i have been try to get out of the bay area for a year now any chance you are hiring a mechanic/ machinist/ gear cutter/ all around fabricator? also the tacoma looks killer

cam-shaft

Bluebird days
i'd leave it as is. maybe some BFG ATs. so many better, well used candidates for modifications. You have a rare one there.
Yea this^, don't californiaize it, leave it Montana style.:). Not every vehicle needs the biggest tire you think you can fit under it. AT for the summer months and KM2 for the winter.:)
Cam-shaft

Yotarob

Don't touch it. Sell it to me for a small profit just like it is. I'll throw in one of my well beat 1st gen 4runner's for you to expo out.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

lugueto

Adventurer
Tires, lift are mandatory, but nothing too big, 2" and some skinny 32's would look awesome.

I agree with everyone else, but instead of keeping it as stock as possible, I say keep it as stock or factory looking as possible. Build it, but make the accesories look like they were built with the 4runner, not for it. There's also the option of having them hidden, especially in the interior. An example would be mounting comms inside, with the radios under the seat or inside a console. Same for an aftermarket stereo, additional power outlets, etc.

That is one clean 4Runner, really nice find. Im jealous. Can you post more pics/details???

Cheers,

Luis

juicebox

Adventurer
I'll change my initial answer from mild lift and 255/85r16's to only lifting the back up a bit and putting 235/85r16's on. Re-gearing for extra weight, locker while you're at it. Maybe build a kit that doesn't really lift it up much, but raises the shock mounts up a bunch to allow for better articulation. That would be cool. Then you could have like 4" of suspension uptravel, and then like 12" of downtravel. It would be an unstopable sleeper.

Speaking of sleeper, it'd be pretty cool to build some sort of flippac type deal on the top, since it doesn't have a back seat. Or maybe even a wildernest-ish type deal where the top would open up to the side...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78