Alu-Cab Has Landed In The USA!

Redman333

Adventurer
How do you say "aluminum"? Just eliminate the -minum- from the word and you have it. Most of their products are aluminum based and I would guess that's where it comes from. Talked with the folks at OK4WD a while back on the phone and that's how they pronounced it, also.

However they are a South African company so they say aluminum different then us so would you say al-you-cab then instead of uh-loo-cab.

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
How do you say "aluminum"? Just eliminate the -minum- from the word and you have it. Most of their products are aluminum based and I would guess that's where it comes from. Talked with the folks at OK4WD a while back on the phone and that's how they pronounced it, also.
So "al-you"

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Thanks for posting that. Good to know. It's received good reviews so I can keep it on my wish list.

Yes, we are trying to encourage people to support their local dealer. It is a big purchase and it is nice to have a local dealer show the product, install and explain all the details to the end user.

Any update on when the Ossewa is coming?

No current plans, the Khaya demand has actually taken some production away form the Ossewa. Personally I feel the Khaya is superior and the internal living option is such a bonus.

I have been referring to mine as alooo. but thats just my guess.

It is Alu just like Aluminum. :)

what is the correct pronunciation for alu-cab? i thought i knew how to say it and never questioned it until the MSO guys kept saying "aloooo" instead of "al-you"

Jeremy was sure to tease Jason and the MSO crew about that this Overland Expo. :)

Are there any plans for Alu-cab to make an Ossewa for the US market vehicles? If, I'm going to start saving my pennies that what I would ideally want on a Toyota :)

Not at this time.

Correct :)

If you go back to post #554, in the video Rin states the name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also Correct :)

TE!

Has anyone mounted an Alu Cab Gen 3 RTT to a front runner roof rack? From what I have been told is it only mounts to the side rails and does not actually sit on the rack. Thinking about mounting it to my 2016 4Runner on the extended 3/4 FrontRunner roof rack. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Has anyone mounted an Alu Cab Gen 3 RTT to a front runner roof rack? From what I have been told is it only mounts to the side rails and does not actually sit on the rack. Thinking about mounting it to my 2016 4Runner on the extended 3/4 FrontRunner roof rack. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

The rails on the bottom of the tent need to be supported as well. Alucab brackets attach to side and bottom. Do not just support at the ends, you need at least one in the middle or it will sag. There should be photos of everything I had to do earlier in this thread.

TE!

eatSleepWoof thank you so much! That is the exact info I was looking for!! I will also contact Rin about those and order the tent as well. Thanks again for your detailed input and answer. Hope all is well!!

Will the Shadow Awning Mount to a Warrior Products Platform Rack for the FJ? The outer round tube around the perimeter of the rack measures 1-1/4" while the square crossbars measure 1". Thanks!

Also side note... If I were hoping to mount a James Baroud Grand Raid XXL on this rack it will likely hang over the sides of the rack about 5” on either side. Would this allow me to still mount an awning like the Shadow Awn or would the Grand Raid make this an impossibility?

I’ve attached some pictures of a similar setup on someone else’s FJ...

DC46DDED-8BF3-4718-AC5A-48435CEA18C6.jpg

A5BBE426-B371-491A-B772-A6FB6A5E43D6.jpeg

B5A90378-882E-4942-A668-FBEEA0533CB0.jpeg

2F3567B5-0954-48CE-BF5B-988CF465DCDF.jpeg

Should. Do you want the center to center m measurement of the holes?

I don't own the rack or RTT yet but I'm finalizing plans to purchase in the next couple weeks. That combination is the one I am likely to go with however. I'm concerned that because the Grand Raid sticks out so far over the edges of the rack that it may cause an issue for mounting other accessories.

I've decided to go with the Rhino Rack Rack in 86” x 56” to mount my JB Grand Raid XXL to. Is there a bracket that will fit the rhino rack for the Shadow awn? Thanks!

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
I’ve decided to go with the Rhino Rack Rack in 86” x 56” to mount my JB Grand Raid XXL to. Is there a bracket that will fit the rhino rack for the Shadow awn? Thanks!
Sometimes Rin is busy and takes a while to respond. If you're in a hurry for an answer call OK4WD https://ok4wd.com/ Phone# (908-454-6973) is on the website & they're really helpful and friendly folks! And they're also about the only people in the country that can accurately answer your questions about Alu-Cab products.

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD

You are going to want to mount the tent on a minimum of two load bars, attaching just the sides will allow flex in the body and issues down the road. We have a really cool little plate system that attaches a pair of Alu-Cab load bars to the Slim Line II racks. Drop me an email and i can get you setup. :)

You'll need to get at least two new cross bars from FrontRunner (of a width that matches your rack), and elevate them above the existing bars by one of two means:
1. FrontRunner RTT brackets.
2. AluCab brackets that serve a similar function to #1, but are lower profile (contact Rino about these).

You could also use Alu Cab cross bars instead of the FRO ones.

What this will do is raise the two new cross bars to be ever so slightly above the edges of the rack, and will allow you to mount the tent to these cross bars instead of the rack's edges. It'll provide proper support and mounting for the tent (any tent).

This is how my setup looked at one point (entire rack/bedcaps system is actually for sale):

3FvsjsL.jpg

Note the two raised cross bars. That's what you want to achieve.

Thanks for the hand on this and solid info!

Will the Shadow Awning Mount to a Warrior Products Platform Rack for the FJ? The outer round tube around the perimeter of the rack measures 1-1/4" while the square crossbars measure 1". Thanks!

Also side note... If I were hoping to mount a James Baroud Grand Raid XXL on this rack it will likely hang over the sides of the rack about 5” on either side. Would this allow me to still mount an awning like the Shadow Awn or would the Grand Raid make this an impossibility?

I’ve attached some pictures of a similar setup on someone else’s FJ...

View attachment 423867

View attachment 423868

View attachment 423869

View attachment 423870

We use the FourTrek mounts for these tube style racks and they are fantastic. However they will not allow you to mount a tent that overhangs like attached and a mount that would allow the awning to sit that far from the rack would be too much of a load.

I’ve decided to go with the Rhino Rack Rack in 86” x 56” to mount my JB Grand Raid XXL to. Is there a bracket that will fit the rhino rack for the Shadow awn? Thanks!

The Rhino Rack is a sweet unit and i have the same on my JKU with Shadow Awn and James Baroud. However you will only be able to use a standard size tent, not an XXL with the combination of the 56" width and Shadow Awn.

Sometimes Rin is busy and takes a while to respond. If you're in a hurry for an answer call OK4WD https://ok4wd.com/ Phone# (908-454-6973) is on the website & they're really helpful and friendly folks! And they're also about the only people in the country that can accurately answer your questions about Alu-Cab products.

I apologize for the delays lately on here and how little I've been on EP lately, as most of you know we are running a bit wild between OK4WD, James Baroud and Alu-Cab and the show seasons have become almost back to back shows from March to November. :coffeedrink: Hopefully next year we have some more crew hitting the road and i can get back to a more normal schedule and chatting with you guys here.

DanyDog

I’m very happy with my Alu-Cab RTT and awning on my 4Runner.

2067de7e1fb9599b398373bf3834cc08.jpg

The stock ladder is a tad bulky and I’m thinking of trying something different. If you’ve replaced your Alu-Cab ladder, what are you using now and how do you like it? Apologies if this has been covered earlier in this thread.

Thanks,

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
I'm very happy with my Alu-Cab RTT and awning on my 4Runner......The stock ladder is a tad bulky and I'm thinking of trying something different. If you've replaced your Alu-Cab ladder, what are you using now and how do you like it? Apologies if this has been covered earlier in this thread......
The ladder that came with my CVT tent is a telescoping type and I recommend that type for flexibility and compactness. I Googled "telescoping ladder" and came up with options from $75 at Walmart site to $363 Xtend & Climb on Amazon. Pay close attention to the "when closed" dimension. I'm sure I have the $75 version 'cause it's only like 3' when closed, but extends to over 12'. You've undoubtably heard or read some negative comments about this style. I've had zero problems in over 5yrs, but I take good care of mine. Easy to clean if it gets dirty & it needs to be cleaned before storing. It always goes back in its bag for traveling. It doesn't get used for other purposes its not designed to do, so my opinion is - if you take good care of it - it will work well for years to come. Edit: here's link to my RTT review thread on IH8MUD: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/cvt-mt-baker-rtt-long-term-eval.647021/

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger