Aluminess bumper for the FJC

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
aluminessfront-12.jpg

I have 1000 reasons to look for lightweight solutions for my FJ Cruiser, as in 1000lbs over gross vehicle weight, as in increased tire & suspension wear and decreased fuel mileage. So when Aluminess mentioned that they were introducing an aluminum front bumper I knew that I didn't just want one, I needed one!
But that doesn't answer why Disabled Explorers should be interested in a new front bumper, well truly there are a number of important factors that a handicapped person should think about when choosing a front bumper replacement. Lightweight to minimize load on the suspension and reduce the chance of breakage, a nice bull bar to hang on to for mobility, a winch mount to aid in recover efforts and ease of access to the winch, shackle mounts that are easy to get at and even approach angle as that is one less way to get stuck or hung up. Remember for the disabled overlander not getting into trouble in the first place is the overriding concern.

To read the rest of the test report and see more 1 legged winch action click here

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Saw them making that in their shop a few months back. It's Very cool. They're bumpers are very stout. We had them on the SMB and the fit and finish was really high quality. I loved the built storage box/lid they provided as well. This new FJC bumper is no exception. Travis and Dave are always a pleasure to work with. I remember them starting to fab a roof rack as well when i was there last.

Great report Lance

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
This bumper is 43lbs and you take off around 35lbs of plastic and steel.
The airbag sensors are accelerometers from my understanding so no issue with the bumper.
Of course non of the above is offical info :)

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
This bumper is 43lbs and you take off around 35lbs of plastic and steel.
The airbag sensors are accelerometers from my understanding so no issue with the bumper.
Of course non of the above is offical info :)

They are accelerometers (acting as a decelerometer), but the change in 'crush rate' if you will of a different bumper could prematurely fire an air bag. I would expect this to happen more with an 'overbuilt' steel bumper than that of a cleanly built steel and aluminum bumper.

Crazy how light they are, very cool!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman