AmboVan Restarted

Acheateaux

Adventurer
I read through the thread a few times, but haven't found my answer. Any reason why you built the hardtop smaller than the perimeter footprint on the roof and didnt take it out to the edge?

hobietony

Explorer
I read through the thread a few times, but haven't found my answer. Any reason why you built the hardtop smaller than the perimeter footprint on the roof and didnt take it out to the edge?

Structurally, it leaves the diaphram intact from the existing roof, and stabilizes the existing walls. I also thought it was a lot more pleasing visually, without a full box-van look - a little taper to the walls, a little curve to the roof. less weight too, with no real impact to the interior usable space

zuren

Adventurer
What kind of MPG do you get rolling down the highway in a best case scenario (assuming that you are rolling mostly empty, about 60MPH, flat terrain and no head wind)? Just curious what you ambo conversion guys are getting.

hobietony

Explorer
What kind of MPG do you get rolling down the highway in a best case scenario (assuming that you are rolling mostly empty, about 60MPH, flat terrain and no head wind)? Just curious what you ambo conversion guys are getting.

If I could ever bear to drive like you describe in your best case scenario, I would certainly get better, but 70-75 on the highway, on a couple trips from Tucson to Colorado, gets me 13.5 -14.5 mpg - no change noted after the topper install

hobietony

Explorer
And has it really been since early December since I did any work? Holidays and skiing have been taking up all the weekends so far, 10-12 hour days screwing up the evening hours, and this weekend i need to build a fence around the material storage adjacent to my garage. Turns out I have a bitchy neighbor that has been complaining to the City that I have been running a welding business out of my garage (not, just working on the truck). She has also complained about the van in the front yard, and the shade structure, and anything else she can think of. The only thing that is actually a violation, is that the steel rack beside the garage is visable from the street.

Funny thing, is I have been wanting to build a fence anyway, to keep that material out of sight, for security. So, not only does this neighbor not get anything she wants, she actually get more of what she doesnt want, which is welding and grinding out of the garage, while I build the fence. Everybody else on the street thinks the ambovan is a great project, comes over and has a beer when I am working, and has me fix stuff/whatever. Some people just want to be unhappy.

In the meantime, that rack just sits in my shop, got to finish it soon...

hobietony

Explorer
A little follow up on that fence thing, how will you all believe my excuses about not working on the van if I dont post up what I have been doing instead?

This is the offending material storage that was (the only) violation of the city code... Guess I see their point
photo2_zpsebc83f0f.jpg

and, the solution
photo2_zps083edfc0.jpg

Bifold gate, feeling pretty clever about this one - Everything hinges and folds to lookers right
photo1_zpsc4e837c4.jpg

Gate Latch
photo1_zps1ff1d051.jpg

Not exactly the project I would have chosen next, but pretty happy with the results - Looks clean and not out of character with the house, and keeps my stuff out of view, both from the annoyed neighbor and any curious prying eyes driving by on the street

And, lest you think that I have not done anything with the van, had to replace the two front tires. Had a highway speed blowout on the drivers front last weekend on a trip up to Flagstaff, (concerning, to say the least) and looked to get a wider set on the front. I run the KM2s in a 255/85/16, and that size looks very small on the front. The weight of the vehicle, and the fact that I drive it like a much smaller vehicle, was resulting in scuffing on the outside of the front tread blocks. I also think that tire size was a factor in the blowout, in that off roading seemed to have damaged the sidewall, something I think would be less likely with a wider tread in the front. So, I replaced the front blowout (and the other front tire that I didn't trust anymore) with a 285/75/16, pretty much the same diameter, with a wider tread. (625 revs/mile vs 628 revs/mile, a trivial difference, there is more difference from new to worn) Problem with this, is BFG recommends that that tire size be on a minimum 7.5" (maybe 8"?) wheel, and dually wheels are 6". Discount Tire wouldn't mount them, and will not support them mounted on those wheels, so I went to a local tire shop instead - Been wanting to dump Discount anyway, they refused to do any work on the rear wheels when they found I was using a spacer - I ended up welding the spacer to the drum so I could say "I have a custom drum, it is not a spacer", so they could get past their internal rules. F@#$ those guys!

Funny, right after I left the tire store with the new fronts, I drove past a 4 Wheel Parts store, with a ramp set up. I couldn't help myself. The guy taking a picture with my phone told me my low front wheel was pulled off the ground, but I think I could have gotten a bit more...
photo3_zps761393ff.jpg

This front tire looks wide enough now
photo1_zps57584c44.jpg

Tribeof5 - You will notice blatant cutting and pasting from my PM to you regarding your tire question - Sounded good when I typed it the first time, decided to use it again!

Last edited:

New River KTM

Observer
Looks good, blow outs at speed are bad. I know the Discount guys sometimes have sucky rules but having seen a few litigation items they are stuck with the company line. But hey if you're ever "shoppin" a new set of shoes watch their EBay page for new "used" tires got a killer deal on a set of MTs that had 10 miles on them the original owner decided they were noisy so Discount gave him a different tire and I got the take offs for super deal. Just saying it's worth a look if you have time.

tribeof5

Adventurer
The fence looks great.. Glad I could help get the tire info out there.. I'm driving my ambo down to see Chris tomorrow. Anxious to discuss my plans with him and get some input on a few things. I too am looking forward to seeing the finished results of the cab rack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan