Ambulance Conversion - New Modifications.

yzeevy

Adventurer
Automatic Drain Valves

s-l300.jpg
I have this drain valve installed on my air tank.
Six months ago I ordered a repair kit, but its leaking again.
Do I really need this? Can't I install a manual one with a string
or any other butterfly / handle ? !
T2eC16N_w0E9szN_m79BRyiUR_R2g_60_1_large.jpeg
21VL66_AW01.jpg

Last edited:

Abitibi

Explorer
I can't see why not, that's what I have on mine (top picture) and it works great. Don't think I'd use the other one, friend of mine tried it and it kept leaking...

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I'd buy a manual one from your local rig shop. The Western Star dealer has good prices on tried and true parts. They're used on trucks running 24/7 and most of the parts last for years.

yzeevy

Adventurer
I can't see why not, that's what I have on mine (top picture) and it works great. Don't think I'd use the other one, friend of mine tried it and it kept leaking...

Do you have easy access to it or you have to "go under" :) ?
How often its recommended to drain?

Abitibi

Explorer
My tank is along the outside of the frame and my ambo is pretty tall so I don't need to go under, just reach from the side. You won't need to drain it often as you probably only run your compressor on occasions. Maybe every 3-6 months but that's just my guess. If you were running it every few days it'd be a different story but honestly, still not that often!

yzeevy

Adventurer
My tank is along the outside of the frame and my ambo is pretty tall so I don't need to go under, just reach from the side. You won't need to drain it often as you probably only run your compressor on occasions. Maybe every 3-6 months but that's just my guess. If you were running it every few days it'd be a different story but honestly, still not that often!

My compressor is part of the AIR BAG SUSPENSION and its working lately most of the time.

yzeevy

Adventurer
Compressor Trouble

I think I am in deep s__t.

I removed the Automatic Drain Valve.
While checking the wires the power wire (white) just came out.
Its obvious, from the oxidation and filth, that the wire was connected very loosely.
After cutting the GND wire, I insulated all the exposed ends.

Installed the new manual drain valve.

Turned on the switch and nothing, the compressor didn't start working!

Then I noticed this . . .

20161009_111825.jpg

I guess this is a pressure switch.
Removed it too and still nothing.

My guess is that the compressor is "waiting" for a signal to start working.

These are the schematics of the air bag suspension . . .

AIR TANK.jpg

AIR TANK - 1.jpg

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

yzeevy

Adventurer
Pressure Switch

Can somebody recognize this Pressure Switch
and provide me the part number?

20161009_221733.jpg

Unfortunately the subscription came off when I tried to clean it.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Dude, those things number in the gazillions with just about as many "technical specs". No one is going to be able to look at that and tell you definitively.

Was it part of a kit? Email the maker. If not, what are the specs of your pump? How much pressure can it put out? How much pressure can your tank hold?

Those will tell you the limits of that end of your system. Pick your shutoff pressure accordingly.

What are you running with it? That will tell you how much pressure you need to maintain.

That will give you an idea of when it needs to kick on.

Google "air pressure switch high/low 120 psi 90 psi" (for example). Pick one.

yzeevy

Adventurer
Dude, those things number in the gazillions with just about as many "technical specs". No one is going to be able to look at that and tell you definitively.

Was it part of a kit? Email the maker. If not, what are the specs of your pump? How much pressure can it put out? How much pressure can your tank hold?

Those will tell you the limits of that end of your system. Pick your shutoff pressure accordingly.

What are you running with it? That will tell you how much pressure you need to maintain.

That will give you an idea of when it needs to kick on.

Google "air pressure switch high/low 120 psi 90 psi" (for example). Pick one.

ITS RUNNING THE AIR BAG SUSPENSION

tgreening

Expedition Leader
ITS RUNNING THE AIR BAG SUSPENSION

Ok, besides the yelling, what's your point? Everything I posted above still applies. Most airbags in this type of application top out at 100psi. Most does not necessarily mean all, hence my post above about doing your own research, because you're the one with the stuff.

yzeevy

Adventurer
Ok, besides the yelling, what's your point? Everything I posted above still applies. Most airbags in this type of application top out at 100psi. Most does not necessarily mean all, hence my post above about doing your own research, because you're the one with the stuff.

Its true that I'm stressed out and "down" but I wasn't "yelling", and I didn't meant to.
Customer service don't return calls or answer emails.
Since the truck is from 2002 ther is a problem finding same parts.
The pressure switch, besides the cost $87 is a special order and I have to wait 3 weeks.
I apologize if I sound "yelling".
Appreciate any input and advise, yours included.
I have decided to tow the truck to a professional.
I need a professional opinion in another matter too.
I have 3 more towings from AAA (100 miles each) :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman