Ambulance Conversion - New Modifications.

yzeevy

Adventurer
What is the vehicle code section?

I was at a truck show today and there was a whole row of fire trucks that still have all of there equipment and lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It seems to me that the whole thing depends on the officers mood.

I just checked out the ticket on the CA. Superior Court web site and my
first choice was - "Pay $238 and close the ticket".

This means that I don't have to show in court ? ! ?

It's not clear if there are points that go with that.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Do you have a good source to buy them?
I could find whole lights only.

I don't have an option to fix it.

The clear ones are hard to find, but here are a couple of sources:

http://www.fixmyambulance.com/category-s/1828.htm

http://www.fostercoach.com/parts.html

You can also Google 'Whelen 900 Series' for the larger 9" x 7" ones, and you will have to check the model number on the smaller ones. eBay is a good source, but they come and go on there, Amazon has some also but mostly complete light units.

I hate to see lenses painted black, because that is about as ugly as it gets. If anything, remove the lenses and replace them with polished aluminum plates that will fit inside the existing chrome bezels. Use one of the lenses as a template to make the plates. That way the lenses can be re-installed later on if the need arises.

lockedwheels

Adventurer

You can also Google 'Whelen 900 Series' for the larger 9" x 7" ones, and you will have to check the model number on the smaller ones. eBay is a good source, but they come and go on there, Amazon has some also but mostly complete light units.

I hate to see lenses painted black, because that is about as ugly as it gets. If anything, remove the lenses and replace them with polished aluminum plates that will fit inside the existing chrome bezels. Use one of the lenses as a template to make the plates. That way the lenses can be re-installed later on if the need arises.
I kind of did that. I cut lexan and painted them to make cover plates. They turned out nice I think

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

patoz

Expedition Leader
I kind of did that. I cut lexan and painted them to make cover plates. They turned out nice I think

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Yeah, Lexan would work well as long as it was thick enough to be rigid. It comes in various colors also.

yzeevy

Adventurer

I am familiar with the first one, ordered the air suspension parts from them.

The clear lenses are rare and expensive.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
From what I've heard it does depend on the officer and the law doesn't matter. Mine has been out of service for almost 10 years and only the lights on the front have been painted out. I've been told they should be painted white on the inside and outside... but the rules are very unclear... and unless you've got deep pockets it doesn't matter if you're right. One guy told me he got dinged $3500 for the 10 retired ambulances he had in his fleet... but who knows... I likely only was getting a part of the truth.

takenbythewheel

I recently acquired an ambulance thats very similar to yours: 2001 F350 7.3l 4X4 Type 1 McCoy Miller Ambulance. Glad I'm not alone in the complex electrical endeavors! -@takenbythewheel

quickfarms

Adventurer
I CA the vehicle code is very clear about the lights no red, blue or white (clear).

Amber is ok if you have legitimate exemption. My work truck has multiple Amber LEDs on it with clear lenses and have never had an issue.

Never heard of a section about you cant look like an emergency vehicle.

Now to confuse people emergency vehicles and now red, yellow, green and white.

The red ones are the easiest to recognize and the white ones disappear.

quickfarms

Adventurer
It seems to me that the whole thing depends on the officers mood.

I just checked out the ticket on the CA. Superior Court web site and my
first choice was - "Pay $238 and close the ticket".

This means that I don't have to show in court ? ! ?

It's not clear if there are points that go with that.

What is the vehicle code section listed on your ticket

yzeevy

Adventurer
Air Suspension

Hallelujah! Fixed the air suspension that drive me crazy for months.
Replaced the air tank pressure switch and the check valve.

Took the truck for a half an hour ride and the compressor, instead of almost non stop
running, turned on 2-3 times for maybe 15 seconds.

Now I am curious to see how much air will he loose over night.

yzeevy

Adventurer
I CA the vehicle code is very clear about the lights no red, blue or white (clear).

Amber is ok if you have legitimate exemption. My work truck has multiple Amber LEDs on it with clear lenses and have never had an issue.

Never heard of a section about you cant look like an emergency vehicle.

Now to confuse people emergency vehicles and now red, yellow, green and white.

The red ones are the easiest to recognize and the white ones disappear.

Are you sure about clear ? ! ? He didn't say anything about clear.
I just ordered 4 clear covers for the flashers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12