Ammo can idea thread

jscherb

Expedition Leader
always think Jeff, always!! Maybe I missed it but where do you find the Alum grid material? That looks like its worth its weight in gold.
Terry,
Acutally, it's steel, I just haven't painted it yet because this prototype is still a work in progress. And it's not a pre-made grid material, I made it out of simple 14-gauge steel sheet. Lots of accurate layout and drilling required (213 holes in the grid plate to be exact). If it ever became a production product, the parts would be laser cut, so my 213-hole labor won't have to be repeated :).

FWIW, there was an outfit years ago, maybe bestop when they were still a small quality outfit in Colorado but I wouldnt swear to that. They made a spare tire can mount that was about A 3" wide circumferential steel band that was hinged on the bottom and had a latch on the top so it squeezed around the tire. A standard steel 5 gal gas can mounted to each side of the tire. A very simple design, very simple product but seemed to work ok as far as I know. Thought about building one bud didnt have a spare mount to use that I felt good about. Something similar to that could be used to secure your saddlepack idea and be more durable than web straps. Just a thought...

You might be thinking of the EZ-Rack from Rock Slide Engineering. It's got a 2" web strap that goes around the spare. To me it that rack seems less functional than what I'm doing because it doesn't have the mounting grid.

carry on mad scientist!!
LOL. That's about how I feel most of the time when I'm doing something that hasn't been done before :).

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Test mounting a jack this morning.

SaddleRackHiLift_zpsjbqsobei.jpg

jgaz

Adventurer
Ok, I'm convinced that you are at least twins! Lol! You make unbelievable progress on your projects, document it and post it as well. I thought I was somewhat driven when I work on something, but you sir make me look lazy! Nice work. I appreciate that you share the construction details. Thank you.

Lucky j

Explorer
Ok, so like I expected, you add to rinforced the door. I did the same to my YJ door at the time and would do the same for the TJ if not going with the hd bumper tore carrier that I already built.

There is a lot of good ideas out there, but you on top of that, are en entreprenor. Kept it coming!

About the hinge I had on the nYJ, the replac,ent I got at the time were a hd replacement/upgrade from Chrysler that I guess found out that there was an issue with the oroginal model. I have not loaded them since they were installed (bumper carrier), but in almost twenty year, thay have not move a micron.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Threw the Saddle Rack on the JK for a quick test fit this afternoon. The brackets are for the HiLift, they're still on from this morning's test fit of the jack.

SaddlePackTestFitJK1_zpsfl0nr8im.jpg

SaddlePackTestFitJK1a_zps6jzshywt.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've come up with about five ways to secure the Saddle Rack to the spare, starting with two ratchet straps and working up to variations with a bit more hardware, so this morning I chose one towards the simple end of the list and implemented it for testing. There's one ratchet strap around the bottom of the spare (it's black, and barely visible in the first photo), plus an adjustable mounting stud that goes through the center of the spare. The stud is captured by the spare - it's got a plate that goes behind the spare, so nothing required to mount it other than removing/reinstalling the spare, and the adjustable support mounts to the stud with a 1/2" bolt, so it's easily removed with the Jeep's lug wrench (the head of a 1/2" bolt is the same size as the Jeep's lug nuts). The stud is actually part of a product that's already on the market (a spare-mounted jerry can carrier), so all I added was the adjustable support for the Saddle Rack.

SaddleRackTest1_zpsquozk26n.jpg

SaddleRackTest1a_zpsgltlyqhv.jpg

I just took the Jeep for a test ride on a potholed road nearby, and it performed very nicely with the weight of the jack on it. I removed the ammo cans before the test ride because I don't have straps to hold them in yet, that's next on my list. Probably won't be until the end of the week that I get to that because I've ordered a few bits and pieces to make up two different types of straps - I'll be doing a simple cam-buckle webbing strap, and a metal strap with an adjustable/lockable latch.

trust

Adventurer
Terry,
Acutally, it's steel, I just haven't painted it yet because this prototype is still a work in progress. And it's not a pre-made grid material, I made it out of simple 14-gauge steel sheet. Lots of accurate layout and drilling required (213 holes in the grid plate to be exact). If it ever became a production product, the parts would be laser cut, so my 213-hole labor won't have to be repeated :).

You might be thinking of the EZ-Rack from Rock Slide Engineering. It's got a 2" web strap that goes around the spare. To me it that rack seems less functional than what I'm doing because it doesn't have the mounting grid.

LOL. That's about how I feel most of the time when I'm doing something that hasn't been done before :).

Ahhhhh, thats some serious drilling Jeff, Id have gotten bored and done about.....3 holes or theyd be uber crooked, or maybe AND theyd be uber crooked...

It wasnt the Rock Slider set up though they sound similar, the one im thinking of was a LONG time ago, 20 years or more by now most likely. I agree that your use of the grid makes it much more useful, I was thinking more of how to securely fasten it to the spare tire. Sounds like youve got that nailed already though, as usual.

I dont know how Id use it but I want one....

95C1500

Observer
These are a cool idea. I think I'm going to pick up a couple 40mm cans and mount them in the bed of my truck

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Ahhhhh, thats some serious drilling Jeff, Id have gotten bored and done about.....3 holes or theyd be uber crooked, or maybe AND theyd be uber crooked...
It can be tedious, expecially since each hole has to be drilled twice - I first drill the hole with a 1/8" bit because the small bit won't wander like a large bit might so the hole placement ends up being more accurate, then I go back and drill with the final size. So the 213 holes ends up being 426, although the larger holes go very quickly once the pilot holes are drilled.

The key is accurate layout, to do that I print a template of the placement of all holes, with cross-hairs for each hole, then I tape the template to the metal and center punch the hole locations through the paper template. I pull the template off and it's ready for drilling at the center punch marks. Using the 1/8" drill first ensures the holes are accurately placed.

It wasnt the Rock Slider set up though they sound similar, the one im thinking of was a LONG time ago, 20 years or more by now most likely. I agree that your use of the grid makes it much more useful, I was thinking more of how to securely fasten it to the spare tire. Sounds like youve got that nailed already though, as usual.
If you happen to remember the name of the other one let me know, maybe there's something to learn from it.

I have decided to make one small improvement to the way this rack is secured to the spare. It's very good as it is, but with a small tweak I can make it even more rigid so I'll be implementing that today.

I dont know how Id use it but I want one....
I'm liking it a lot already even though I've only done maybe 20 miles around town with it.

greggNJ

Observer
The position of the ammo can trays is adjustable for different tire sizes. I made the range to suit from 29" tires (TJ stock) up to 37". In the photo below, each tray is 1" outboard of the narrowest position to fit the 32" tire. For a 37, each tray would bolt several bolt holes outboard from the position in this photo.

SaddleRackWidth_zpsopwlnbb6.jpg

This is a nice idea. For those that might only need it occasionally just put it on when you need it and stick it in the garage/shed when you don't...

jscherb

Expedition Leader
This is a nice idea. For those that might only need it occasionally just put it on when you need it and stick it in the garage/shed when you don't...

Thanks. That's exactly the idea - most of us only need the extra gear when we're on an off-road trip, so why carry all the gear and the rack every day? Just carry it when it's needed.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm working on finishing off the ammo can trays. On the right is a simple cam buckle strap, it's cheap, easy to use and seems very snug. On the left, I'm putting a 1/8" diamondplate rubber mat on the bottom of each tray to prevent rattling. In the foreground, the metal strips on the workbench will be turned into locking straps, but I can't do them until the latches I've ordered have arrived, hopefully within a few days.

CamBuckle1_zpsnvzsa64u.jpg

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
I've got two 120 mm mortar shell cans. They are about 6x12x32. Has anyone done anything useful with such cans?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've got two 120 mm mortar shell cans. They are about 6x12x32. Has anyone done anything useful with such cans?

That's a good question... I did some Google searching and only came up with one photo of a 120mm can related to a Jeep. Pretty much every other size can you can find multiple Jeep pictures for, but I guess not the 120mm. Looks like it's in the back of a CJ in this photo. Too bad it doesn't open on the side instead of the end, it might be more useful in a Jeep that way.

1ikggw.jpg

bluehash

Adventurer
I too wish the 120mm opened up on its side rather than its end. I'll be digging out alot of stuff to get to the bottom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle