An Axe - Seriously?

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Are you ********** kidding me? An established trail never has trees fall on it?

Worried about paint and off-road...need to rethink some things. If you are worried about your paint, you may put yourself or others in a dangerous or life-theatening position.

Lazy. Hopefully the next people on the trail will do the maintenance so you can enjoy the trail in the future... You will be screwed if you are ever on a real trail that you cant turn around on...may be sitting for days waiting for someone to come do the cutting work for you.

Put it inside. It is a tool and a damn good one. Maybe some trail scars and scratches would get rid of your poseurmobile look.

LOL! Agree with all X2! It's a big country... don't judge all trails with just a few in your locale.

Momrocks

Adventurer
LOL! Agree with all X2! It's a big country... don't judge all trails with just a few in your locale.

That's why I used statements like "IMHO" and first person experiences and opinions. I didn't make statements saying you shouldn't carry an axe or it isn't a good tool. I do stick to my opinions that most (visible) mounted axes are for show and my personal experiences have never placed me in need of an axe.

-I didn't however say, trails never have trees fall across them.

-I'm not sure how making nominal attempts to avoid scratched paint puts others or myself in dangerous, life threatening position.

-The question of my laziness probably is much deeper than can be solved by an internet forum

-Paint scratches for credibility? I'm not really bought in on that. Scratches happen, to use them as a scoreboard in an off-road superhero contest seems more poseurish than my winch parked at the foodcourt.

Tango, if you or HARDTRAILZ can shed some light it may be helpful

Momrocks

Adventurer
The normal solution is to discuss it around a campfire and some adult libations with your trail buddies! :friday:

I am apparently putting my trail buddies in life threatening situations. Is it any wonder nobody is willing to share a campfire and adult libations with me? At least they know I am NOT an axe murderer. :coffeedrink:

TangoBlue

American Adventurist

That's why I used statements like "IMHO" and first person experiences and opinions. I didn't make statements saying you shouldn't carry an axe or it isn't a good tool. I do stick to my opinions that most (visible) mounted axes are for show and my personal experiences have never placed me in need of an axe.

-I didn't however say, trails never have trees fall across them.

-I'm not sure how making nominal attempts to avoid scratched paint puts others or myself in dangerous, life threatening position.

-The question of my laziness probably is much deeper than can be solved by an internet forum

-Paint scratches for credibility? I'm not really bought in on that. Scratches happen, to use them as a scoreboard in an off-road superhero contest seems more poseurish than my winch parked at the foodcourt.

Tango, if you or HARDTRAILZ can shed some light it may be helpful

The only light I have to shed is you need to chill out. Nobody took indecent liberties with your dog for that kind of response, nor could I give a rat's behind if you carry an axe or not. I'm as careful with my truck on the trail as you, just stating not all trails are the same.

I thought your statement, "When I am off-road, I stick to established trails. I have never seen a need for an axe. I do however find a set of loppers very useful for widening the way when a stray branch has grown over the trail and threatens the truck's paint," was entertaining. For additional illumination on the subject you requested, on the East coast most of our trails, not heavily traveled, are overgrown as vegetation has a tendency to grow here rapidly with our rainfall. This results in something called, "trail rash," or "pin-striping." It's pretty much unavoidable as many will attest.

IMHO, you would be very unhappy as you would spend a lot of time outside your vehicle with your "loppers."

It's all better now, now give me big 'ol hug, kitten and harden up; the internet is no place for sissies. :D

Momrocks

Adventurer
The only light I have to shed is you need to chill out. Nobody took indecent liberties with your dog for that kind of response, nor could I give a rat's behind if you carry an axe or not. I'm as careful with my truck on the trail as you, just stating not all trails are the same.

I thought your statement, "When I am off-road, I stick to established trails. I have never seen a need for an axe. I do however find a set of loppers very useful for widening the way when a stray branch has grown over the trail and threatens the truck's paint," was entertaining. For additional illumination on the subject you requested, on the East coast most of our trails, not heavily traveled, are overgrown as vegetation has a tendency to grow here rapidly with our rainfall. This results in something called, "trail rash," or "pin-striping." It's pretty much unavoidable as many will attest.

IMHO, you would be very unhappy as you would spend a lot of time outside your vehicle with your "loppers."

It's all better now, now give me big 'ol hug, kitten and harden up; the internet is no place for sissies. :D

Wow, you're very insightful and have a gift for seeing what's really under the surface of people's posts. Thanks for the response.

PS: I don't see anywhere in Al Gore's handbook where sissies like myself are excluded from using his internet.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Wow, you're very insightful and have a gift for seeing what's really under the surface of people's posts. Thanks for the response.

PS: I don't see anywhere in Al Gore's handbook where sissies like myself are excluded from using his internet.

You're entirely welcome! I'm here to help...

Al Gore has a handbook for his internet? Is that where you got the inspiration for your reply? :D

Momrocks

Adventurer
You're entirely welcome! I'm here to help...

Al Gore has a handbook for his internet? Is that where you got the inspiration for your reply? :D

I guess truth be told, I got my inspiration from you. I wouldn't have even replied if you hadn't posted.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I am apparently putting my trail buddies in life threatening situations. Is it any wonder nobody is willing to share a campfire and adult libations with me? At least they know I am NOT an axe murderer. :coffeedrink:

I can't tell what location "Nomadic" may be but if you are in SoCal I usually have some Sierra Nevada Ale in my truck's fridge.

Momrocks

Adventurer
I can't tell what location "Nomadic" may be but if you are in SoCal I usually have some Sierra Nevada Ale in my truck's fridge.

Thanks for the offer. I'll do my best not to endanger or alienate you for your kindness to me. I seem to be rubbing people the wrong way today. I feel like the guy that referred to Overland International as a shell company. :)

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Thanks for the offer. I'll do my best not to endanger or alienate you for your kindness to me. I seem to be rubbing people the wrong way today. I feel like the guy that referred to Overland International as a shell company. :)

LOL! I am not known for rubbing people the right way either. I've been banned once so take it from me, no matter how well your posts may seem to be worded, someone will be offended. TangoBlue is a really great guy so if he sees a wrinkle in how your wording is interpreted his pointers are worthy of consideration.

Momrocks

Adventurer
TangoBlue is a really great guy so if he sees a wrinkle in how your wording is interpreted his pointers are worthy of consideration.

Clearly that's true, his last couple of posts have really been valuable additions to this thread. :hehe:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I would agree that leaving a good tool out in the weather is not a great idea. However, we should not jump to a conclusion that externally mounted tools are only there because of bling-a-holism.

Some valid non-Exposeur reasons for hanging the axe and shovel on the outside of a trailer or vehicle;

1. Interior trailer or vehicle cargo space is at a premium
  2. Unpacking the cargo, removing netting and straps is a PITA to get at an axe or shovel that is securely stowed
  3. Easier access to the tools if the trailer (or vehicle) is rolled
  4. If the trailer's RTT is deployed then raising the trailer lid is a PITA, especially if the trailer does not have a tailgate such that lifting the lid is the only option.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Space being at a premium, and easy access are my main reasons for having my axe, shovel, hi-lift and chain saw all hanging outside on the spare tire swing out.

The axe is a fiberglass handle 'el cheapo' from one of the discount stores, used mainly for splitting firewood, but I do (try) and keep an edge on it.

My hatchet on the other hand, stays inside the rig. Like Squatchout's, it's a nice tool. I got lucky and found it at a rummage sale. It's a 'Zenith' head, which was made right here in my home town, many, many years ago when we still had some foundrys and steel plants.

Excellent steel, and it holds it's edge. I need to hang a new handle on it, but haven't found one with the same slight curve to it like the original has.

I usually end up using the chain saw. When we have trees drop across the trail/road, they are big enough that I don't want to chop through with an axe!

EstherLakeRunJune2012031.jpg

We actually heard this one fall, while we fishing a stream not far behind the fallen tree. Drove through this spot about an hour before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998