An Axe - Seriously?

etbadger

Adventurer
We carry a [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OAUA6Y?ie=UTF8&tag=badgertrek-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001OAUA6Y"]Max Ax[/ame] (ax with attachments for shovel, adz, pick, rake, etc) and have found it to be quite useful in all modes. Total storage space is not much more than the axe itself and a shovel head.

Axe has been useful encountering tree-falls that blocked our way out after being up camping for a week in some mountains (storm came through). Too big for our bow-saw, and too large to drag out of the way with chains till it was sectioned with the axe. Only one time it was really necessary, but very glad we had it then.

Pick is nice for pulling rocks out to level our wheels when nothing is around to just stack upwards.

Rake/hoe is good for clearing crud away from the doorway so we don't track weeds/cactus/cow-pies inside.

Shovel is good for all the standard shovel stuff.

Its not quite ideal for any job as a compromise 'multi-tool', but works well enough and takes minimal space, providing for the eventuality that one tool is specifically needed.

-e

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
Have I felled a tree with a double bite? A few or more. When I started off as an apprentice, you had to work up from burning brash to being allowed to use sharps stuff - chainsaw was on the end of the list. How can you understand how to fell a tree properly without damaging the wood if you have never felled a tree with an axe. The best felling axes are single bite but a double bite is yet another tool to be mastered. Of the single bite axes the two best blade styles are 'French' or an Elwell. Elwell have been making axes since the you guys were the colonies. The best of the 'French' styles are made by Sandvik for Bhaco. Superb axes and cheap as chips - weird shaft mind. The steel is superb for an edge

Please note that terms and names above are coloquialisms from deep rural England and as such may not be found on Wiki

http://www.binbin.net/Garden-Tools/Bahco-Ash-Felling-Axe-800mm-2.2Kg.htm

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...Y-BswbW75xh&page=1&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:0

A morning star is not a spiked ball mace - it's a long chain with a spiked ball at one end and a curved hand blade at the other. Superb on Zombies

Gaidheal

Observer
I always carry an axe and a shovel (actually 2 shovels).

I think I have used one or the other just about every time I've gone any distance off road.

:beer:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Have I felled a tree with a double bite? A few or more. When I started off as an apprentice, you had to work up from burning brash to being allowed to use sharps stuff - chainsaw was on the end of the list. How can you understand how to fell a tree properly without damaging the wood if you have never felled a tree with an axe. The best felling axes are single bite but a double bite is yet another tool to be mastered. Of the single bite axes the two best blade styles are 'French' or an Elwell. Elwell have been making axes since the you guys were the colonies. The best of the 'French' styles are made by Sandvik for Bhaco. Superb axes and cheap as chips - weird shaft mind. The steel is superb for an edge

Please note that terms and names above are coloquialisms from deep rural England and as such may not be found on Wiki

http://www.binbin.net/Garden-Tools/Bahco-Ash-Felling-Axe-800mm-2.2Kg.htm

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...Y-BswbW75xh&page=1&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:0

A morning star is not a spiked ball mace - it's a long chain with a spiked ball at one end and a curved hand blade at the other. Superb on Zombies

Here is a question for you: what is a good on line resource to read up on axe sharpening? Zombie chopping starts to dull the edge. I don't know enough to discern good advice from bad.... :)

craig333

Expedition Leader
The double bit axes were traditionally sharpened differently for the two blades. One side would be very finely honed for fast chopping in clear grained wood, while the other would be a larger edge angle for better durability chopping knots, near the dirt, etc. That's my understanding, anyway.

Thats the way we did it when I was with CDF.

Speaking of sharpening, all I've ever used is a good single cut file. I cringe when I see most people use a file, doesn't take long to destroy using it wrong.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Here is a question for you: what is a good on line resource to read up on axe sharpening? Zombie chopping starts to dull the edge. I don't know enough to discern good advice from bad.... :)

It's not the sharpness of your axe but the design that is hampering your strikes. A typical camp or chopping axe is wedged shape to chip the wood away from the cut. When used against humanoid undead this wedge shape is not as effective in cleaving as a dedicated zombie axe.

My zombie axe is a period correct example based on a 14th century German war axe.....

100_2540.jpg

What makes a war axe different than a chore axe...the thinness of the blade....

100_2541.jpg

A thin blade concentrates the force entirely on the blade and it's profile makes cleaving threw flesh and bone easier as you don't have to push extra blade material through your target. Plus a thin blade is easier to retrieve from a skull strike than a thick blade. Of course this makes a war axe a terrible chopping tool.

So now you know and knowing is half the battle. :elkgrin:

On the other hand the Sparmish Army will be equipped with horseman style war hammers in the event of a zombie apocalypse...

100_2542.jpg

Those Amish men just love their hammers.

Last edited:

windsock

Adventurer
Wow, 11 pages on axes?

Simple really. Horses for courses. If you need one, and know how to use one, carry one.

If you don't need one and carry one you are at best, prepared, at worst, you inspired 11 pages of posts. :victory:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Wow, 11 pages on axes?

Simple really. Horses for courses. If you need one, and know how to use one, carry one.

If you don't need one and carry one you are at best, prepared, at worst, you inspired 11 pages of posts. :victory:

Bah! The Super-Moon thread is bigger and truly worthless :elkgrin:

Axes are at least useful

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears