An Axe - Seriously?

Paladin

Banned
B) I can't wait to see the pictures of the ExPo chain saws mounted to the ExPo roof racks. Come on, you know you're out there!:elkgrin:

I'm going to mount my chainsaw with Quickfists, inside a Pelican case for waterproofness, on my roofrack, using drawer slides and pressure cylinder for quick accessibility.

But first I need to find a really expensive, beautiful old chainsaw that doesn't work very well.:coffee:

:coffeedrink:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I'm going to mount my chainsaw with Quickfists, inside a Pelican case for waterproofness, on my roofrack, using drawer slides and pressure cylinder for quick accessibility.

But first I need to find a really expensive, beautiful old chainsaw that doesn't work very well.:coffee:

also wear crisp khakis and put lots of gas cans on the roof rack :elkgrin:

TangoBlue

American Adventurist

also wear crisp khakis and put lots of gas cans on the roof rack :elkgrin:

...and a pith helmet. We need more pith helmets on this site.

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
I have a very old Danarm 4stroke with turnable engine (so it always works upright) that you are welcome to. Parts are non existant and it's a truly awful saw

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I have a very old Danarm 4stroke with turnable engine (so it always works upright) that you are welcome to. Parts are non existant and it's a truly awful saw

this Danarm?
x5388e0o.jpg

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
No that's not the one. I'll dig it out of the shed and take a picture

It's a four stroke but the engine swivels to allow for the angle - truly awful saw

I've got an early Ryiobi as well - now that's a bad saw

To be honest my stihl 361 is a PITA if you don't run it every day. It's very S3 like. Needs love and care; as welll as a new spark plug every day

Best saw I ever owned was a Sachs Dolmar 116Si

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
Personally I like axes so I have a nice little Gransfors.

To be safe, as an only occasional axe user, I've been told to work on my knees as much as possible, so the glancing blow swing will carry the blade into the dirt not my shin!

The axe does a lot of things, covers a lot of bases, so gets room in my camper. Not as a hammer though, or to link slings?!?!:Wow1:

I may be wrong, but "all" tomahawks come apart? So for putting in a rucksack, the handle on the outside looking all innocent and the head protected inside is a good low profile tool?

My camper is 13'1" tall, so it comes into contact with trees quite often on dark country lanes, so I wanted a chainsaw so I could trim stuff that got in the way whatever the size. But carrying the protective gear, petrol, 2T oil, spare chain, chain oil as well as the saw is just ridiculous as a "just in case"!

The best tool I have for firewood is a Silky Saw Pocketboy. I'm amazed noone so far has mentioned a Silky Saw! They are super speedy, super sharp, really quality tools. Instead of a chainsaw for the odd high branch I now have a Silky Longboy, which closes up to fit across the inside of my cab, but extended reaches topofcamper height easily. Not cheap but the blade, and handle stiffness, is awesome. According to a tree felling friend, something like a Silky Zubat is quicker and safer than a chainsaw when up a tree in a harness.

http://www.silkysaws.com/

Happy evildead-free travels :)

Paladin

Banned
Well that was timely. I had to turn around and go back on the trail I was riding from work to home yesterday because there was a tree down and I didn't have an axe or chainsaw on my motorcycle.

But, oh yeah, these things are just for show because trees never fall.

htek

Observer
Well that was timely. I had to turn around and go back on the trail I was riding from work to home yesterday because there was a tree down and I didn't have an axe or chainsaw on my motorcycle.

But, oh yeah, these things are just for show because trees never fall.

Seems like an axe would be a rather stupid thing to carry on a motorcycle. A Sven folding bow saw would probably be the best bet... And I realize you weren't/aren't advocating carrying an axe on a bike - but one snide remark deserves another. :)

My point is that depending on the size of the tree, an Axe wouldn't be the only thing you could use to remove the obstruction...

Is this thread seriously still alive? Since I started this mess, I guess I will try to put it to rest. What have we learned here?
  • Some people use there axes a LOT - but really it's mostly for firewood collection while camping.
  • They are useful in clearing trail obstructions - but so are bow saws and chain saws. An axe could be considered more versatile than a bow saw because it isn't limited by the diameter of the tree. It is also useful in splitting firewood - if thats how you want to spend your time camping.
  • A bold few even admitted that while they carry an axe, it remains entirely unused
  • Some National Forests require you to carry an Axe, a Shovel, a bucket, and three lucky rabbits feet to aid in fire suppression. Like many things perpetrated by the government, it is entirely unclear how an axe is useful to the average joe here.
  • If travelling in area's with a high concentration of Zombies, an axe is a must... don't leave home with out - be sure it's easily accessible with quickfist clamps on your roof rack next to your roof top tent

In all seriousness, I am going to pick up an axe and will likely be carrying it on SOME outings. I think it's important to note that you should always have SOMETHING for which to cut/chop wood... An axe, hatchet, bow saw, whatever...

-jm

Paladin

Banned
Don't laugh. :) People carry chainsaws on motorcycles when prepping a trail for an event up here. Seriously. Powerplant on the rear rack, blade facing straight down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger