An expedition truck on portals...

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Don't forget the glazed donuts warmer. Oh and keep a back seat for the butler........you know I'm joking right? Well sorta.....:elkgrin:

Oilworker

Explorer
Hello.

Just a quick hello while servicing the truck. We´re in Akjoujt, Mauretania now and it´s been a tough race sofar.
I signed up as press, but was put in the raid class (#806) instead. There was no way out and so I did the guided tour of the special stages. What an experience. We were slower than the competitors but still going pretty fast.

20111230_55058_web1200t.jpg

20111230_55068_web1200t.jpg

20120101_32638_web1200t.jpg

20120102_32757_web1200t.jpg

The suspension is amazing though a few modifications will have to be made for use on a 3,8t car on tracks like the ones we´ve encountered here.

Sadly the front end is a bit "modifed" now, too. I went through a curb wall at 50mph and bent the whole right side with ARB and radius arm, the latter torn out of the frame mount :(
By now it´s all rewelded and straightened and a big spares package is on it´s way to Dakar now.

I guess I will leave Dakar on the 11th to drive back north, pick up the trailer in Nador, fetch the Porsche of the boat and return to Hamburg.

More images and the full story soon, or check out "Rallyewerk" or "Africa Eco Race" on Facebook.

So long,

Robert

Last edited:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Hello.

Just a quick hello while servicing the truck. We´re in Akjoujt, Mauretania now and it´s been a tough race sofar.
I signed up as press, but was put in the raid class (#806) instead. There was no way out and so I did the guided tour of the special stages. What an experience. We were slower than the competitors but still going pretty fast.

20111230_55068_web1200t.jpg

20120101_32638_web1200t.jpg

The suspension is amazing though a few modifications will have to be made for use on a 3,8t car on tracks like the ones we´ve encountered here.

Sadly the front end is a bit "modifed" now, too. I went through a curb wall at 50mph and bent the whole right side with ARB and radius arm, the latter torn out of the frame mount :(
By now it´s all rewelded and straightened and a big spares package is on it´s way to Dakar now.

I guess I will leave Dakar on the 11th to drive back north, pick up the trailer in Nador, fetch the Porsche of the boat and return to Hamburg.

More images and the full story soon, or check out "Rallyewerk" or "Africa Eco Race" on Facebook.

So long,

Robert

Nice, I guess cow tipping is a world wide phenomenon! Sorry I couldn't help myself. :cow:

keep on :smiley_drive:

Oilworker

Explorer
Reinhard Clemens a friend of us, who was initally supposed to be my co-driver.
He´s fast assistance and does the Raid class of the Africa Eco Race enjoying himself.

I am just the press / technical assistance for Erik and Wolfgang, hauling almost everything to build a new 911 Safari on my tray....

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Reinhard Clemens a friend of us, who was initally supposed to be my co-driver.
He´s fast assistance and does the Raid class of the Africa Eco Race enjoying himself.

I am just the press / technical assistance for Erik and Wolfgang, hauling almost everything to build a new 911 Safari on my tray....

Could I be his G-Pro co-driver next year? :drool::smiley_drive:

Oilworker

Explorer
Well observed...my steering is a bit "off" after going through that brick wall :(

If I pass it on my way back north I will shoot an image of the carnage I created...

We just arrived at the Hotel in Dakar and it´s undescribable how great a endlessly warm shower can feel after 2 weeksy in the desert ... awesome.

Will upload some images tomorrow and then start with my writing, too, before returning to Hamburg.

Regarding the co-driver seat. Well I guess it won´t be a G Pro for him next year and I wont mind forwarding your application ;)

Oilworker

Explorer
And this is what we do it for...

20120108_65750_web1200t.jpg

20120108_65750_cut1200t.jpg

A childhood dream has come true! :wings::wings::wings:

Yesterday I wept while slowly passing the arch. It´s been an undescribable experience and when I watched the video of the past days again at the hotel....I know for sure, I will be back in 2013.

Thanx to all those who´ve helped and assisted me on the difficult road to Dakar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan