An expedition truck on portals...

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
I called Kal Tire this morning, Nokian does not make a tire in that size, the Yoko Geolander is only 6ply, but is an ice gaurd rated tire (full winter tire), price is $319.44 / tire CAD. 7 available in Alberta right now.

265/75/16 Nokian Hakkapeliitta $300.50 / tire.

Oilworker

Explorer
Thanx and very weird.

From Nokian HQ I was told that this size is only made for the North American market.
Both Vatiiva and Hakka.

Will check out the other one when back home and try to get hold of my transport guy.

Red90

Adventurer
The Nokian Vatiiva 315/75R16 would be great, too, but is also only available in the US. Some tyres make it back to the russian market but those are impossible to track down.

An alternative, comparable to the Nokians would help, too. I need to drive quite some miles over here this winter and that won´t be fun on my Cooper STT´s.

Duratracs..... Most people that I know have switched to using these on their trucks in the winter. They are as good as a mid level car winter tire on ice and hard pack. Good in deep snow, work well off road and wear fairly well. The roads here are snow and ice covered for 6 months. Unless there are some other magic tires around I have not heard of, this is your best choice in the size you want.

Vatiivas are not great in winter. Better than most all seasons, but not a winter tire level of traction.

Hakka LTs are not anywhere near the level as the car model Hakkas. They are really meant to be studded. I know a few that have run them and you are disappointed if you are used to a modern car winter tire.

MuleShoer

Adventurer
The Goodyear Duratracs have been the best tire for mud/snow I have used. I am on my second set for the JK. I drive 98 miles a day and they work well in the interstate or back roads. I just put a set of cooper muds and snow on my Cummins 2500 and wish I had gone with Duratracs.

Oilworker

Explorer
Been busy the past days and after seeing and experiencing what the "great german diesel" does to modern cars I decided to do my business travels by train instead.
The low temperatures in Europe (some places as low as -28°C) have stopped many diesel trucks and today I saw this...

405807_272256939512271_115137571890876_695600_168061135_n.jpg

...it´s taken from a brand new Land Rover Defender 110SW 2.2L with only 1700km on the odometer in it´s close to 2 months on the road.

What are your experiences with current fuel? How much is bio-fuel addition affecting your car?

Because of this I am also rethinking my choice of engine for the next phase.

So long,

Robert

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
I'm not sure about over there across the pond, but in Canada, we have winter diesel, I've had my Unimog out in -37c, and its never gelled or frozen, but the diesel pumps in town have been shut-down and unable to pump fuel.

Biodiesel freezes at even higher temperatures, from what I've read, you can't run it in the winter without serious additives to keep it from freezing.

Red90

Adventurer
If things are like that picture, I would suggest installing a filter heater. That will stop those gelling problems. As said above, it is never a problem here as we know winter....

I would suggest the Standadyne FM-100 with a 6" 2 micron filter and the heater that inserts in the middle. It bolts straight up to the stock Defender location. It will give you better filtration than stock and increase the life of your injectors.

It also never hurt to run a good diesel fuel conditioner. Standyne or Powerservice. Everyone should always carry a bottle of Powerservice 911 for those emergency gelling incidents.

Douglas S.

Adventurer
I made a diesel noob error earlier this winter and failed to add anti-gel to my fuel when the temperature was something like -37 Celsius. Truck started and idled fine (which I attribute to the OEM diesel heater on the fuel filter), but died about two blocks from my house. Two Scepter cans full of fresh diesel, a new fuel filter, and some very numb fingers and I was back on the road. It's a mistake I won't make again.

Oilworker

Explorer
Thanx, Red

I did some research but the Standadyne FM-100 seemingly isn´t available in Europe.
Any recommendations for buying a few on your side of the pond?

Thanx,

Robert

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior