And now the moment you didn't know you've been waiting for...Atl-Atl's 4x4 Ford E350 RV documentation thread!!

Atl-atl

Adventurer
I didn't look thru all the pages. ..
But first thing I would do is get some "g series" full steel cases tires on that thing. LT tires in 16"...MAKE me nervous. It may be light but TALL. Full steel cased are stiff and run at high pressure . I generally convert to railroad 19.5" rims if you can find them. There were a few higher end tire makers selling 16" gull steel cased tires. But ALL 19.5" are. "Singled out" red ambo is running on 4 rims/tires now instead of 6. 19.5" are far superior.
Ive got 17s, not 16s. Going up to commercial grade 19.5" stuff is annoying and unnecessary. It limits me to only commercial truck tire shops and they ride like absolute dog-dookie.

Atl-atl

Adventurer
Update time!! Apologies for being terrible this go-round, posting long form on a forum is difficult when you sleep in a different place every night. Y'all should really follow @darlington.adventures on instagram. We spent a couple nights in Rapid City which turned out to be a super fun little place. Good hiking/mtb trails right in town, some decent food and breweries, super friendly people etc. Cruised through Sturgis but it was empty because its only busy for about 1 week a year. Made our way into Bozeman which is a cool car/truck/motorcycle gold mine and is also desirable for a multitude of reasons not related to motorized transport but thats not why we're here is it.

Somewhere between Omaha and Rapid City my ghetto-fab exhaust flex pipe let go. Thankfully every gas station in rural Nebraska is also an agriculture vehicle repair shop and the nearest one was able to accommodate my nearly 12 foot tall rig for a quick exhaust fix. An hour and a whopping $36 later I was back on the road, much more quietly too!
IMG_7723.jpeg

A snippet of my Bozeman sightings over the 7 days we were there.
A7BD8043-8E24-48D5-BC0C-C4E503841D65.JPG
IMG_7808.jpeg
IMG_7786.jpeg
IMG_7883.jpeg

From there we hit Yellowstone. A first for both of us and all I can say is WOW!! We will be back, what an incredible place.
IMG_7892.jpeg
IMG_7896.jpeg
IMG_7903.jpeg

These arctic vehicles are everywhere around Yellowstone. Not sure exactly what they do with them but obviously it must be some kind of touring in the winter. Going to try to look at one up close tomorrow. Such insane rigs, they're giving me really bad ideas for the RV...
IMG_7910.jpeg

There are also a ton of European adventure vehicles inside the park. Countless Sprinters and various other euro plated "caravan" type rigs, mostly French plates from what I can tell. This Defender was an interesting one. It has a very American camper(Overland Explorer Vehicles "Camp-X") that looked WAY too big for it. I mean, the camper must be two feet wider than the truck. Not sure what the story is, maybe someone on here will know so I can follow up. Its gotta be a handful going down the road.
IMG_7902.jpeg

b. rock

So...however many thousand miles later, have you had a chance/reason to use the 4x4 yet? Since this thread has started, I have picked up a 20' Class B and I'm leaning more and more to just a mild lift kit, proper leaf springs in the back, and sending it. Sand driving is the only thing giving me pause. But that's a lot of work for a very limited use case.

Atl-atl

Adventurer
So...however many thousand miles later, have you had a chance/reason to use the 4x4 yet? Since this thread has started, I have picked up a 20' Class B and I'm leaning more and more to just a mild lift kit, proper leaf springs in the back, and sending it. Sand driving is the only thing giving me pause. But that's a lot of work for a very limited use case.
Chance? Yes. Reason? Really only because we wanted to. There have been plenty of opportunities over our current 14,XXX miles to do gnarlier stuff than we have but typically we chose not to. Mostly out of a desire to not break something or get stuck while living out of the vehicle we are off-roading. There is a fine line between want and need on this trip. Yes we built the rig to be capable in 4-lo situations. No we did not expect to need it on this trip but wanted it just in case. 4x4 was an insurance policy. Have we gone anywhere that a 2wd rig with high clearance couldnt have made it? Most likely not. Did we take some harder lines through obstacles that absolutely required 4-lo? Yes and it was fun and we were happy to do it. Did we have fun tackling some obstacles with confidence and poise that would have required a lot of questionable decisions and skinny pedal from a 2wd rig? Absolutely. Did we future proof the rig? Yes. Im excited for the day we get a big enough dump at our local ski hill that 4WD is required to get to the parking lot and we are the only RV there, eating lunch in the warmth and comfort of our home away from home.

Atl-atl

Adventurer
Guess I should update this in light of another thread I decided to post in. After Yellowstone we headed towards Denver pretty quickly. Only stopping at a hot spring and my brothers cabin in Grand lake for a couple nights. Had a couple more serious mechanical things done to the rig in the last week or so. Over the past couple months the front suspension has started to get really soft. To the point where the front axle would bottom out on the frame. The way the UJoint suspension is designed it should never bottom out, the kit doesnt even use bump stops, but lucky me guess what was happening? Frame meet axle. More like frame meet track bar mounts but none the less it was behaving in a way it shouldnt. Off we went to Alcan Spring in Grand Junction CO. Arguably the best leaf spring manufacturer in the world and you wouldnt know it. Its just another small shop in a commercial park in anytown USA 🤷‍♂️ . The short story is the guesstimate for my fully loaded front axle weight post 4x4 conversion/camper remodel was off by 400lbs or about 10% which was enough that after 10,000 miles of abuse the front end had gotten really soft. Like bouncing along the highway, shocks can barely control it, bottoming out while on relatively mild gravel roads soft. So Alcan decided I needed to stop in for a beef-up of my front springs. After 4 hours and $750 I was back on the road and the rig felt much better, hopefully it holds up this time.

Evidence of the axle contacting the trackbar mount. It was also knocking loose the locknut on the trackbar. Not a catastrophic issue as the track bar isnt holding anything together but annoying none the less because it would start to make noise when it wasnt locked down.
IMG_7198.jpeg

New leaf installed(the shiny one just below the middle)
IMG_8197.jpeg

Alcan Spring
View attachment IMG_8084.jpeg

Stopped by this little overland shop that opened in Fruita CO. Seems like these things are popping up everywhere. Hopefully its a sustainable business. These guys had some cool rigs out front.
IMG_8087.jpeg

Another unfortunate result of this being a former rental RV that most likely got the ******t beat out of it for 75,000 miles before I bought it, the steering box was wearing out. Nearly every time I went offroad or hit a large pothole, or drove down a washboard gravel road or hit a fresh pavement ledge in a construction zone the steering wheel would spontaneously offset itself by 5-15 degrees. Ive grown sick of adjusting the tie rod so I ripped off the band-aide and got a new steering gear installed at UJoint Offroad Colorado while I was in Denver for a friends wedding. The new one is a Red-Head that is a beefed up stock version that makes the wheel harder to turn and doesnt seem to do anything else. After 3 hours and $900 I was back on the road, hopefully this one also holds up.

A lot of the trip has looked like this.
IMG_8085.jpeg

New steering gear. Great pic, I know.
IMG_8195.jpeg

Ujoint in Colorado is right across the highway from Earthroamer and there are a few other offroad oriented shops in the area that do various work. This guy parked next door for some reason and we were all drooling. That will be my next rig.
IMG_8061.jpeg

Helped the guys install a full length roof rack, awning and RTT with "deck" on this van they are just about done building.
IMG_8064.jpeg

We spent about a week in Colorado but didnt get to do much in the way of camping or offroading due to the wedding. We will obviously be back. Once we made it to SLC we camped in the shadow of the capitol building which was pretty rad. Thats all for now!
IMG_8102.jpeg

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Guess I should update this in light of another thread I decided to post in. After Yellowstone we headed towards Denver pretty quickly. Only stopping at a hot spring and my brothers cabin in Grand lake for a couple nights. Had a couple more serious mechanical things done to the rig in the last week or so. Over the past couple months the front suspension has started to get really soft. To the point where the front axle would bottom out on the frame. The way the UJoint suspension is designed it should never bottom out, the kit doesnt even use bump stops, but lucky me guess what was happening? Frame meet axle. More like frame meet track bar mounts but none the less it was behaving in a way it shouldnt. Off we went to Alcan Spring in Grand Junction CO. Arguably the best leaf spring manufacturer in the world and you wouldnt know it. Its just another small shop in a commercial park in anytown USA 🤷‍♂️ . The short story is the guesstimate for my fully loaded front axle weight post 4x4 conversion/camper remodel was off by 400lbs or about 10% which was enough that after 10,000 miles of abuse the front end had gotten really soft. Like bouncing along the highway, shocks can barely control it, bottoming out while on relatively mild gravel roads soft. So Alcan decided I needed to stop in for a beef-up of my front springs. After 4 hours and $750 I was back on the road and the rig felt much better, hopefully it holds up this time.

Evidence of the axle contacting the trackbar mount. It was also knocking loose the locknut on the trackbar. Not a catastrophic issue as the track bar isnt holding anything together but annoying none the less because it would start to make noise when it wasnt locked down.
View attachment 800862

New leaf installed(the shiny one just below the middle)
View attachment 800863

Alcan Spring
View attachment 800864

Stopped by this little overland shop that opened in Fruita CO. Seems like these things are popping up everywhere. Hopefully its a sustainable business. These guys had some cool rigs out front.
View attachment 800865

Another unfortunate result of this being a former rental RV that most likely got the ******t beat out of it for 75,000 miles before I bought it, the steering box was wearing out. Nearly every time I went offroad or hit a large pothole, or drove down a washboard gravel road or hit a fresh pavement ledge in a construction zone the steering wheel would spontaneously offset itself by 5-15 degrees. Ive grown sick of adjusting the tie rod so I ripped off the band-aide and got a new steering gear installed at UJoint Offroad Colorado while I was in Denver for a friends wedding. The new one is a Red-Head that is a beefed up stock version that makes the wheel harder to turn and doesnt seem to do anything else. After 3 hours and $900 I was back on the road, hopefully this one also holds up.

A lot of the trip has looked like this.
View attachment 800866

New steering gear. Great pic, I know.
View attachment 800867

Ujoint in Colorado is right across the highway from Earthroamer and there are a few other offroad oriented shops in the area that do various work. This guy parked next door for some reason and we were all drooling. That will be my next rig.
View attachment 800868

Helped the guys install a full length roof rack, awning and RTT with "deck" on this van they are just about done building.
View attachment 800869

We spent about a week in Colorado but didnt get to do much in the way of camping or offroading due to the wedding. We will obviously be back. Once we made it to SLC we camped in the shadow of the capitol building which was pretty rad. Thats all for now!
View attachment 800870
Can you bump up the pressure or flow in your steering pump to make it easier to turn?

I recently did a P/S conversion on my Fj40 using a Scout II box and Saginaw pump. By carefully selecting the pump and pressure regulator components, I can now palm (or 1 finger) steer 33x10.50 A/Ts on dry pavement while stationary. I haven't drilled out the passage to increase flow but that can be done also. In my case I merely selected a 1980 Chevy 3/4 ton steering box and it had the parts needed already.

I'm sure simple mods can be done to your Ford pump to increase pressure also.

Atl-atl

Adventurer
Can you bump up the pressure or flow in your steering pump to make it easier to turn?

I recently did a P/S conversion on my Fj40 using a Scout II box and Saginaw pump. By carefully selecting the pump and pressure regulator components, I can now palm (or 1 finger) steer 33x10.50 A/Ts on dry pavement while stationary. I haven't drilled out the passage to increase flow but that can be done also. In my case I merely selected a 1980 Chevy 3/4 ton steering box and it had the parts needed already.

I'm sure simple mods can be done to your Ford pump to increase pressure also.
I was told it would start to ease up as it breaks in. It has definitely gotten easier but Im still waiting for it to re-center with a little less effort. I dont mind having to work a little to turn the wheel and Im driving so much on this trip that its breaking in quickly. I would love to have more power but I probably wont mess with it until I go to bigger tires.

b. rock

Got it, and thanks for the response on using 4x4. I did manage to get my EB, 2wd, unlocked van uphill through Longs Canyon in Moab's one rock section, but it did require more momentum and tire spinning than I would have liked, and that's with an empty-ish van. The hive mind would tell me that a loaded camper van would be heavier and have more traction over those rear tires, but it also need more juice to get up and over.

Low range in itself is just as useful to me as having all 4 wheels driven, so yeah, looks like we'll commit to the 4x4 swap then.

Atl-atl

Adventurer
Got it, and thanks for the response on using 4x4. I did manage to get my EB, 2wd, unlocked van uphill through Longs Canyon in Moab's one rock section, but it did require more momentum and tire spinning than I would have liked, and that's with an empty-ish van. The hive mind would tell me that a loaded camper van would be heavier and have more traction over those rear tires, but it also need more juice to get up and over.

Low range in itself is just as useful to me as having all 4 wheels driven, so yeah, looks like we'll commit to the 4x4 swap then.
The benefits of 4 low cannot be overstated. While its possible to get very far in 2wd, the ease with which 4 low tackles obstacles is laughable.

Atl-atl

Adventurer

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Apologies for the lack of response and terrible job keeping this thread up to date. Hopefully you followed along on instagram where we posted a lot more. We finished the trip last November and have been using the rig locally in Arizona since then. We do still have the RV but just listed it for sale. https://forum.expeditionportal.com/...-ujoint-4x4-full-interior-remodel-etc.243421/
Sorry, I don't do the Instagram thing.

Glad to hear you're still enjoying the RV!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior