Another 02 4Runner build thread!

wmflyfisher

Observer
Figured I would go ahead and start this for myself and others who look to gain knowledge from my experiences.

Picked up this beauty yesterday with 111k. Runs great and is a good bit nicer than my Tacoma was.

Plans are to build a mild, yet capable expedition vehicle for camping, hunting, fishing, and those long hwy trips if needed. The list of planned mods are as follows.

Suspension:

- OME 890 Rear Springs
- Bilsteins?
- Adjustable Panhard bar
- Fabtech front coilovers
- Diff drop

Tires:

- 285/75/16 BFG Mud KM2
- Wheel spacers??

Interior:

- Cobra CB
- Garmin GPS
- Leather seats???
- Window tint
- Mag light/Streamlight mounting?
- Alpine head unit, Pioneer components, JL 12W6

Exterior/Body:

- Sliders
- Shrockworks front bumper
- Hella 4000's
- Black pearl emblems

Performance:

- Deckplate mod
- ISR mod
- Trueflow air filter
- Magnaflow muffler??

These are obviously the must haves. I'm sure there will be more along the way. :) Feel free to add something if you have any suggestions. Stay tuned!

DSC02673.jpg

DSC02676.jpg

Had some time yesterday so I went ahead and installed my sub, head unit, and CB. I must say that this is the absolute best CB for mounting under an aftermarket CD player. The fit couldn't get any better. Looks as if it belongs there.

DSC02674.jpg

DSC02675.jpg

Cheers:beer:

Stealth 4x4

Adventurer
Very nice as-is and gonna be even nicer when you're done. If you're adding sliders I assume you're planning on using them, which means a set of skids wouldn't be a bad idea to go along with them.

Don't forget about stuff like a recovery kit, Hi-Lift, front and rear recovery points (if you have a tow package that might just mean a receiver shackle to go with the factory front tow hooks). Also good to have a fire extinguisher and first aid kit while you're at it.

Your list looks good to me.

sami

Explorer
post a pic of the black pearl emblems.. pleeeeease :) I've been debating ordering them, but not sure if i've ever seen them before..

-Jason

toy_tek

Adventurer
Congrats and a nice list. I would skip the deckplate mod though. Waste of time/money for no real gain. I had it and opted to not do it again with my new airbox.

I'd consider regearing for 285's though. Mine was a dog after the tires and before the regear.

CYi5

Explorer
I dunno if the adjustable panhard bar was worth the $175 for just running 890's. My adjustment was maybe 1/4" for such a little amount of lift. If you were doing LC springs i'd say get it, but otherwise i'd stick with stock imo. And also you'll have to cut into your grill to run hella 4000's, I already checked myself and with shrockworks:( which is why i'll just be running another ARB.

wmflyfisher

Observer
111db said:
Congrats and a nice list. I would skip the deckplate mod though. Waste of time/money for no real gain. I had it and opted to not do it again with my new airbox.

I'd consider regearing for 285's though. Mine was a dog after the tires and before the regear.

Thanks! Yeah, I've considered gears but most people I've talked to seemed to think it will be fine. We will see.

wmflyfisher

Observer
CYi5 said:
I dunno if the adjustable panhard bar was worth the $175 for just running 890's. My adjustment was maybe 1/4" for such a little amount of lift. If you were doing LC springs i'd say get it, but otherwise i'd stick with stock imo. And also you'll have to cut into your grill to run hella 4000's, I already checked myself and with shrockworks:( which is why i'll just be running another ARB.

Man wish I would have read this before I purchased the whole rear kit!! Doh! Well I could always resell it if I don't need it.

About the lights and bumper. I also checked with shrockworks and Nick told me that it should work?? I also spoke with flyingwil here on the board and he is running lightforces and said they fit fine. I know they are deep like the 4000's too but he does have a Tacoma. Man that will be a bummer if they won't fit. I really like the 4000's. Maybe we can get someone to do a test fit.

CYi5

Explorer
"Our shipping guy has a 96 4runner with our bumper on ther and he also has 4000's he's putting on there. They will involve some trimming of the grill. Some grills are further out, the 96 is pretty low profile."

I mean, could always weld tabs on the front...our grills have that huge plastic piece in the middle, plus I don't know about your 4000's, but mine are HID so they have wires running out the back.

img1886hy2.jpg

img1888bz2.jpg

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Bust out the hole saw and call it done deal. I guess you could carefully trim it and that would be ok too. I need to get a new grill mine is still cracked from the lightforces hitting it when I reaended a car a coulpe years back.

Aaron

wmflyfisher

Observer
No drastic mods yet. Removed the running boards and tinted the windows. Plan to install the lift and tires sometime this week or weekend. Some pics from the mountain earlier today.

DSC02702.jpg

DSC02707.jpg

DSC02708.jpg

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Dude make sure you do the VSC kill mod I forget what the proper name is but it will keep you from getting really stuck.

Aaron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior