Another budget build (2WD)

john difool

Observer
Alrighty, removed running boards and the stripes and put MichelinLTX M/S2 235/85/16 on.
No lift yet as coloradocampervan doesn't seem to be motivated. I have my local mechanic do it. I will order the maxx kit (spacers and blocks). Can someone please point me to the caster correction thingie for alignment?
I'd also need the part numbers for the Bilstein shocks (all around). Anyone can point me towards these as well?

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    555.3 KB · Views: 93
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    557.8 KB · Views: 92

ober27

Adventurer
Looks much better without the running boards. Were they difficult to remove? Were they bolted directly to the rocker panels?

john difool

Observer
yes, i think so too. always disliked these plastic attachments. it wasn't difficult to remove. they had brackets to the frame in the area of the steps. the rest just bolted to the rocker panel and the wheel wells. finally going to take the wheelchair lift out today. that thing weighs 400lbs. then it's on to the interior.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Isn't the stock tire size 245/75-16?
If so why would you go smaller and reduce the weight capacity?

Heloflyboy

Adventurer
You need a camber kit that will do at least 3 1/2 degrees. I put 3 deg on mine from napa auto parts but found it was not enough so I had les schab already doing alignment and they put the 3.5 ones in it would probably be easier to have alignment shop get you the correct ones. I did not get to research the bilsteins yet.

john difool

Observer
thanks guys,
bbasso, i like skinnies.
originally i had 225/something/16 on there. the 235/85's brought the van up about an inch all around. removing the wheelchair lift, the trailer hitch and the rear bench (weighing 600lbs together) brought her up another 1/4 :)
at the tightest spot, there is still 2in between the tire and the wheel well. if i had known that, i would have gone with 33's.
hmm, i'm wondering if i still need/want that 2in maxx lift then?
alright mr. BajaSportsmobile, I'd like to have your fox shocks. do we better wait until the van is "expedition" ready so we can go by the final weight? they'll be fine with stock height?
there will be some interior pix in the next days.

john difool

Observer
i figured that these fox shocks are not within my budget.
found the bilsteins. a few guys at the sportsmobile forum pointed me that way.
do i take the heavy duty or the comfort ones? considering my estimated "expedition" weight will be between 6500lbs and 7000lbs - and the wildest thing the van will see are the dirt roads of big bend NP.

john difool

Observer
took plenty of stuff out from the inside. it was not fun. carpet, glue... ugh. tomorrow i'm gonna pick up cabinet grade (carb 2 compliant) birch plywood. cabinet grade because it's gonna be a oil/wax finish. no paint, no carpet.

before.jpg after.jpg

ober27

Adventurer
Out with the old, in with the new. Putting it all together in a way that meets your needs will be more fun.

bdog1

Adventurer
That hi-top looks pretty modest from the outside, but it sure looks spacious inside! What's the stand up height inside?

Think I'm jonesing for a top!

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle