Another Jerry Can thread

TheAlmightySam

Adventurer
Interesting. Thanks for the idea. Not sure if I'm willing to take the chance to see if the plastics are the same over the years between the MWC and the MFC. Who thought this would be so difficult. They are going to be tightly secured in a rack inside a camper shell so I don't need them to be super durable. I just don't want them to leak off road.

I totally understand not wanting to take risks with fuel storage. For the record, however, the dude in the thread looked at the MSDS on both cans, and they appear to be identical plastic. Other reports, in some cases directly from Scepter or LCI indicate the same. One year of gasoline storage and they haven't leaked a drop, according to the guy on ARFCOM. That thread also mentions a military member who has used MWCs to store JP-8, kerosene and gasoline in an emergency. I've seen biodiesel stored in these same cans - they appear to hold up fine as well, and bio will eat through just about anything. Anyway, I'm not advocating this, just a success story or two I've heard.

The only thing that worries me about pre-CARB Wedcos is the proprietary gasket. With the ban, I worry that the supply of Viton gaskets will dry up. They've been sold out on EE since forever. I suppose you can cut your own out of a sheet of gasket material should you need to, but still. A Scepter can, either MFC or MWC, just takes a generic o-ring that can be gotten from anywhere.

Anyway, good luck with the decision. Pretty lame we can't get decent cans anymore without resorting to either used cans or questionable repurposing of other containers.

Last edited:

zeropresence

I totally understand not wanting to take risks with fuel storage. For the record, however, the dude in the thread looked at the MSDS on both cans, and they appear to be identical plastic. Other reports, in some cases directly from Scepter or LCI indicate the same. One year of gasoline storage and they haven't leaked a drop, according to the guy on ARFCOM. That thread also mentions a military member who has used MWCs to store JP-8, kerosene and gasoline in an emergency. I've seen biodiesel stored in these same cans - they appear to hold up fine as well, and bio will eat through just about anything. Anyway, I'm not advocating this, just a success story or two I've heard.

The only thing that worries me about pre-CARB Wedcos is the proprietary gasket. With the ban, I worry that the supply of Viton gaskets will dry up. They've been sold out on EE since forever. I suppose you can cut your own out of a sheet of gasket material should you need to, but still. A Scepter can, either MFC or MWC, just takes a generic o-ring that can be gotten from anywhere.

Anyway, good luck with the decision. Pretty lame we can't get decent cans anymore without resorting to either used cans or questionable repurposing of other containers.

Thank you very much for the info. If I go the jerry can route this is what I will most likely do, however now I'm on to looking at doing a 22gal Jazz fuel cell on the rack instead.

Pros: Safety, they are desert race proven. Not going to leak on a roll over. At one point I will run it into my feeder tube in my stock tank with a cheap low pressure fuel pump and a solenoid valve. Throw two switches and I'm refueling. There are kits that do this of course, but it would be fun to build and cheap.

Cons: Less modular. I can't move fuel into another rig very easily. More work.

If all I wanted was 5 gallons this would be a easy solution, but I'm aiming for 20 extra gals on board at all times. You know.. for when the zombies come.

Dangerruss

I dont want to hijack, but want some opinions. I am looking for 4 fuel cans. The Scepters I can find are a little over my budget, I have found some older style vented Blitz 5 gal cans. They come with only a cap. I have also found the older style spouts for them. My question is how well do these hold up and do they leak? I will be using them to carry fuel Inside my vehicle.
Also what do you think of the Gott Jerry cans?
Thanks Russ

TheAlmightySam

Adventurer
As I mentioned above, I used to use the old style Blitz cans, but I gave up on them. If you crank the cap down with a tool (I always used the a big breaker bar and placed it between the tabs of the cap), they won't leak, but they're nigh impossible to get back open. I would strongly recommend using them with a Super Siphon, because the spouts that come with them are absolutely worthless. They're impossible to get tight enough to not leak. The other problem is the nozzle is large enough that it won't fit down the fuel filler of a modern vehicle. Not a problem if you have an ancient diesel like me, but on my old XJ, filling was an absolute pain.

Save up for the Scepters if you can - they're worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman