another new guy

EODTaco

Observer
new stuff

I don't think my truck is worthy of it's own thread yet, so I'll just use this one...

I friend of mine totalled his FJ Cruiser a few weeks back and asked me if I'd like to buy the aFe intake off it for $50. Uhh, yeah! It was VERY easy to install and gives a noticeable gain in power. The jury is still out on any fuel mileage change since I can't keep my foot out of the skinny pedal because it sounds so good. I've run one tank through with it on and got the same gas mileage as before, but, like I said, I was riding it hard. I expect at least a 1 mpg improvement when I return to normal driving. Here's a pic of the intake:

DSC00203.jpg

I want my engine to breathe out as well as it breathes in, but I don't want it to sound like a weedeater in a tin can. Anyone got any suggestions on an exhaust?

BigTaco

Observer
Sweet deal on the intake!

I've got a single in dual out magnaflow muffler. It' got a nice low (V6) rumble to it. Lately I don't hear it as loud for the same mpg saving reasons. Started driving by the tach and trying not to go over 1500 rpms. :D

EODTaco

Observer
BigTaco said:
Sweet deal on the intake!

I've got a single in dual out magnaflow muffler. It' got a nice low (V6) rumble to it. Lately I don't hear it as loud for the same mpg saving reasons. Started driving by the tach and trying not to go over 1500 rpms. :D

Well I've got votes for Magnaflow, Borla, and JBA so far. The guy with the FJ had JBA and he loved it. I talked my dad into buying a Tacoma and he has a Borla, which he loves. (Does Borla come stock?? His truck is new...) Now a satisfied Magnaflow customer. Decisions, decisions...:confused:

BigTaco

Observer
I stand corrected...I just crawled underneath the truck and made sure of the muffler. It's a Borla ProXS not a magnaflow.

When I was deciding I talked to the muffler shop and if I remember right they said Borla was on the mellow side and Flowmaster was louder with another brand in the middle. It has been a while though so my memory may not be functioning correctly. Hence the fact that I couldn't even remember what brand I purchased.

Either way, if you replace the pipping, make sure you tell them mandrel bends!!! That's the mistake I made, assuming that a custom exhaust shop would do it with out asking.

Here is a video I have with the truck running. It was made to show the lights but you can still hear my exhaust at idle. I am thinking about changing it up since dual pipes is just adding more weight to the rear end.

VIDEO

Your dads truck might have the TRD exhaust. Only other way it would have Borla is if the dealer put it on themselves.

--
- Justin

Braz475

Observer
Check out AeroTurbine mufflers, thats what I have on mine and it sounds great! Not very loud when cruising but when you jump on it, it snarls pretty good!

keezer36

Adventurer
EODTaco said:
Well I've got votes for Magnaflow, Borla, and JBA so far. The guy with the FJ had JBA and he loved it. I talked my dad into buying a Tacoma and he has a Borla, which he loves. (Does Borla come stock?? His truck is new...) Now a satisfied Magnaflow customer. Decisions, decisions...:confused:

JBA uses Magnaflow mufflers. I bought this in the summer of '05. It takes up space in the garage as the sound is not my cup of tea (amplified weedwacker by my ear). The hangers aren't the best, they aren't cone shaped at the end like the stock hangers.

DSC00091.jpg

DSC00093.jpg

EODTaco

Observer
Guys,
Thanks for the info. Keezer, I'm with you on the "amplified weedwacker" thing. Not my thing. I checked out some YouTube videos of the Aero Turbine and it does sound mean, but it's a little louder than what I'm shooting for.
Justin, I checked out the Borla Pro XS website and they have two single in/dual out mufflers; the "Transverse" and the "Centered/Dual". Do you know which one you have? Also, what size pipe did you use? I like the way yours sounds - low tone but not too loud.

EODTaco

Observer
BigTaco said:
It was the centered/dual muffler. They changed the piping from the cat bak with 2.5" tubing.

Sweet, thanks. I think that settles the exhaust question. Now I've got to come up with the cash...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior