another prediction that XTerra is finished

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I've hadem both an '06 Xterra off-road and now an '08 JKU Rubi-

The Xterra was a dreamboat on the freeway with 265 hp/20mpg/fingertip steering and off-road with relative instantaneous 4wd H/L and we could sleep in or pull my trailer, but

The rear locker-only/needed a little more throttle application in 4lo and aftermarket equip.--almost non-existance-front diff aluminum and "fragile"-solid rear axle and IFS front-so

I got the jeep and my ONLY real downer is the loss of the 265hp V6- that was so sweet !!

I'd probably get a new one (OR) if they offered the solid axle F/R and lockers, I don't NEED the removable top, but most of my 4wd's have hadem !!

Dodge/IH/jeep/Bronco--

We'll have to wait and see !!

:costumed-smiley-007:bike_rider: JIMBO
JIMBO~
After seeing the rigs that you have had in your stable at one time or another I would like to know; What is your take on the Ford Bronco Concept?
:coffeedrink:
http://www.netcarshow.com/ford/2004-bronco_concept/

Last edited:

RonapRhys

Adventurer
That's part of the problem - I know that someone posted the idea of a true OR Pathy, which would work. To me, the niche is the bare bones vehicle that's capable. That can be done without too much work. Solid axles all around, bare bone interior, etc. Maybe it's just the work to make the current Patrol version compliant with US laws - then there's not too much development involved and the niche is filled.

Strizzo

Explorer
you can pretty much kiss goodbye the idea of a new or redesigned SUV coming out with solid axles front and rear if it didn't already have them. you have to realize that nobody wants that and to expect it is a bit foolish really. even land rover and the toyota land cruiser have gone to IFS. the new electronic systems and available factory lockers do a pretty decent job of getting people where they want to go without sacrificing on road manners. remember that 90% or more of SUVs will never see anything more extreme than a gravel driveway.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Well thanx for the compliment and I had never seen the ford concept, but

JIMBO~
After seeing the rigs that you have had in your stable at one time or another I would like to know; What is your take on the Ford Bronco Concept?
:coffeedrink:
http://www.netcarshow.com/ford/2004-bronco_concept/

It looks a lot like the International Harvester (1960's) throwback and is a little uglyer !!

Of all the concept vehicles in the past 5 years, I'll bet on the HUMMER HX (H4), although there doesn't seem to be much chance forit--but man all those removable parts, you sure could stripit for action--although, I don't know where the hell you'd put all the parts !!

I'm pretty happy with this JKU Rubi (modified) and other than a gear change and Supercharger addition, I'm about at the end of my modifications withit !!

Good day

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

RonapRhys

Adventurer
you can pretty much kiss goodbye the idea of a new or redesigned SUV coming out with solid axles front and rear if it didn't already have them. you have to realize that nobody wants that and to expect it is a bit foolish really. even land rover and the toyota land cruiser have gone to IFS. the new electronic systems and available factory lockers do a pretty decent job of getting people where they want to go without sacrificing on road manners. remember that 90% or more of SUVs will never see anything more extreme than a gravel driveway.

I absolutely agree that there's really no chance. That's why I was thinking about taking a vehicle that currently exists that has these features, stripping out anything unnecessary, doing just enough tweaks to get it US legal, and then selling that for the niche. That should minimize costs to get it going, allow them to further leverage the economies of scale on a current production line, and satisfy the market.

Logans91XJ

Dirt Road Anthem
Yup and those 2% that actually take their $40,000 SUV off-road will never need Solid Axles or a front locking diff.
Solid Axles are great for rock crawling and slow wheeling but the 99% of my driving done of the road Solid Axles suck. The ride is crap and jars the hell out of you and I miss my 4-Runner any time I need to go somewhere thats more than 10 miles away.
I've done some work with Lexus and their LX models and with all the electronic controls they will wheel pretty damn good.

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
I will say this for the IFS.. I went from a 01 Xterra to a 1990 YJ.. Holy hell the ride is bad.. I expected it being hard but I took the Jeep off road and for the life of me can not figure out how the Jeep has made it 60 years.. I took Jeep buddies up stuff when my X was stock and they couldnt believe that it could make it up the hills we did.. The ONLY appealing this of a Jeep is the convertible top.. The Prox-4 Xterra beats the Rubicon hands down on every test motortread threw at it... And the Rubie had front and rearlockers...

The Frontier/Titan platform is due for a redesign in 2013 (This would have happen sooner if the Titan/Dodge Ram would have hit the market.. After all the issues Dodge was going through in 2005-now Nissan back out... So they redesigned it themselves. So Ill wait and see with the Xterra...

On a happier note.. Us Xterra fans are doing a home coming of sorts this June..
www.nationalxterrameet.com

I will agree the Next Xterra (If its made) will need to hit the mid 20s for MPG. 17mpgvanymore isnt going to fly... Oh and you Jeep fans that want to see the death of the Xterra better get ready for a new MPG TAX.. Because the Box thats called a Jeep will never hit the 20s

Last edited:

fuciledacaccia

Wrangler Unlimited

Jeep seems to have a larger following, and they make a good product, but I think their sales are better mostly on the name and not the vehicle. Of course, the Jeep does have a much larger aftermarket world as well. You can't beat the Xterra for functional use in my opinion. If you want a do-it-all daily driver that can do some pretty good off road without a lot of modification then you really come down to three vehicles: The Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, the Toyota FJ Cruiser, and the Nissan Xterra Off Road (or PRO-4X).

The FJ and Xterra seem so similar with just a cursory look, but the Xterra has much more cargo room, which is also more versatile. The FJ also has some serious visibility issues as well for me. As for the Jeep, the ability to remove the top is very cool, but I would rather have an integrated roof rail system that the Xterra has. I also have no idea why Jeep hasn't jumped on board with the non-carpeted cargo area and tie down system. I have two labs and the Xterra also provided more room for them in the back cargo area (without folding the rear seats) than the Wrangler Unlimited, never mind the dog hair in carpet issues I don't have to worry about with the Xterra. With the Unlimited I would have had to fold at least one rear seat down.

For me the Xterra is perfect, but it also seems like they haven't been running as many ads as much over the last year or two. Maybe that is also because I DVR everything so I just don't see them. Most people aren't as analytical when they choose their car, but looking at all the features and the 2008 Xterra Off-Road I just bought was the ideal choice for me.

Jeep has been living off their old, and I mean old, reputation; and I have heard from many Jeep lovers, whose opinion I solicited, that I should not purchase a new Jeep as the V6 has head gasket issues on the driver side, and Jeep has resorted to three different solutions, none of which, I am told, have worked. I am considering a new 4WD, and the Frontier Pro 4X, XTerra Pro 4X, and Jeep Wrangler Unlimited are in the running. At least they were I discovered this last info; the Jeep is now out. The only decision now is will they continue to make the XTerra, which is the only real off road vehicle available, with the Jeep and Toyo. In either case, it will be the Frontier Pro 4X or XTerra Pro 4X. By the way, does anyone have knowledge of the best bed cover to buy?? I am considering the Peragon. Can anyone help me with this one?? Thanks

djcote

Jeep did have problems with the 3.6 pentastar early on. They have however been fixed. I've been a lifetime Nissan fan. With that said the 2013 Wranglers are pretty awesome rigs. Took out a 2 door six speed and had no trouble getting over 22mpg in town, granted I was trying real hard. I've seen them return 24 easily at hwy speed. I wish Nissan's pickups had better fuel economy. That's the only thing holding me back from a new Frontier. My 87 hard body v6 gives me 25 on the hwy and averages 20 no problem. Would love it if a 13' Frontier KC could do that.

Mo4130

Adventurer
The new frontiers have lower friction internals which the company states get 1-2 mpg gain. I personally love my 11 fronty pro 4 x

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Jeep did have problems with the 3.6 pentastar early on. They have however been fixed. I've been a lifetime Nissan fan. With that said the 2013 Wranglers are pretty awesome rigs. Took out a 2 door six speed and had no trouble getting over 22mpg in town, granted I was trying real hard. I've seen them return 24 easily at hwy speed. I wish Nissan's pickups had better fuel economy. That's the only thing holding me back from a new Frontier. My 87 hard body v6 gives me 25 on the hwy and averages 20 no problem. Would love it if a 13' Frontier KC could do that.

So tell us more on how you got 22mpg in the city. Did you go off of a full tank and the odometer miles and tank fill the tank again to get the gallons consumed or was this the dashboard display?
Not to be a jerk I know the internet can come off like that sometimes but, here are some real world numbers from real owners of the trucks.

From Fuelly.com:
http://www.fuelly.com/car/jeep/wrangler
Jeep Wranger 2013
16.8 Avg MPG
47 Cars
843 Fuel-Ups
211,434 Miles tracked

http://www.fuelly.com/car/nissan/frontier/2013
Nissan Frontier 2013
19.9Avg MPG
5 Cars
25 Fuel-Ups
6,268 miles tracked

No new 2013 Xterras on Fuelly so here is the 2012
http://www.fuelly.com/car/nissan/xterra/2012
Nissan Xterra 2012
16.1 Avg MPG
11 Cars
272 Fuel-Ups
50,860 miles tracked

RonapRhys

Adventurer
I once got 22mpg in my Xterra.

Of course, I had a tailwind, was cruising pretty much right at 65mph, and had stock tires and no armor. On my latest trip to Moab I think I averaged just above 14mpg. That's with full skids, sliders, aftermarket bumpers and a winch, plus all my gear - all while cruising around 78mph.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
I once got 22mpg in my Xterra.

Of course, I had a tailwind, was cruising pretty much right at 65mph, and had stock tires and no armor. On my latest trip to Moab I think I averaged just above 14mpg. That's with full skids, sliders, aftermarket bumpers and a winch, plus all my gear - all while cruising around 78mph.

best I ever got in my 1st gen is 20.4mpg.
This truck likes to cruse at 50 to 55mph for the best economy anything over that the mpg go out the window. The new rigs seem to do better with the 4.0L than the old 3.3L vg33e rigs.
Basic Stats
16.7 avg MPG
15.1 (-1.2) last MPG
20.4 (8/26/10) best MPG

2013 JKU 6 speed manual. I have gotten 21 on the highway, relatively flat, and kept it right at the speed limit. Go much over and you really hurt those numbers. I would let you know what I get while driving to Colorado from ca starting tonight, but I'll be flat towing my 4 runner, so I doubt that is gonna help any.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears