Another Subaru

compactcamping

Explorer
Hi, My name is Scott Chaney, I'm new to the forum, glad to see some other Subaru drivers.

I recently downsized from a Cherokee to a Outback Sport. So far I'm actually happily surprised at the places I can go. Although a lift, little bigger tires and new front bumper are in order. I also like that cool snorkel on Superu's rig.

View attachment 11156

Depending on where we're going I'll tow a small trailer with Rooftop tent, for rougher stuff, I leave the trailer at home and put the tent on the roof.

View attachment 11158 View attachment 11157

The thing I miss from all my previous 4WD vehicles is a lower range. With a 5spd, this make creeping thru stuff a problem. I know the Subaru's in most other countries still have a dual-range transmissions available. Is there anyone importing dual-range trannys into North America? Does anyone make the adapters neccessary for mounting a old style Subaru Hi-Lo tranny to a newer 2.5 motor?

Also Superu, do the extra light cause any cooling issues from the reduced air flow?

--
Scott

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
compactcamping said:
The thing I miss from all my previous 4WD vehicles is a lower range. With a 5spd, this make creeping thru stuff a problem. I know the Subaru's in most other countries still have a dual-range transmissions available. Is there anyone importing dual-range trannys into North America? Does anyone make the adapters neccessary for mounting a old style Subaru Hi-Lo tranny to a newer 2.5 motor?
Not sure how I missed your post, Welcome!

The dual range available on manual trans Foresters doesn't have a very low low range. Not really worth the trouble or expense to get one over here IMO. There are some lower low range gear sets available, and adding that to the package would make it a worthwhile mod, though costly. Check out the Aussie based www.offroadsubarus.com, perhaps someone over there could help you source a D/R transmission.

I have the Automatic trans, and it works well for creeping by using a technique called "driving through the brakes" http://www.burniemorgan.com/grand_vitara/driving_thru_brakes.html

compactcamping

Explorer
Thanks for the dual-range and automatic info. Many of the Suburas I've been out with are automatics and they have a much easier time creeping thru rough stuff than I do. An automatic is starting to look like a better overall chose for off-pavement AWD driving. Although I really like a 5 spd for rally style driving.

I use an Oasis II on my Outback Sport, at 50 lbs you hardly know it's there.
I push the factory cross bars to their outer most postion, the tent brackets sit on the outside of them and bolt it with c-brackets to the factory roof rack side bars.
View attachment 11754

--
Scott

Starscream

Adventurer
Very nice! I recently rented an Outback for a trip to Vermont. I loved that vehicle and would certainly consider getting one for a daily driver.

mr_ed

Toolbag
I know this thread is a tad old, but if you're still lookin for a dual range trannie, these guys make an adapter plate to go between EJ stuff and EA stuff, so you could put an older dual range 5 speed from a GL into an outback or legacy. I'm keepin them in mind in case I ever get around to puttin an Outback 2.5L into my Loyale...

Hope this helps!

Ed

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Check out the Aussie based www.offroadsubarus.com, perhaps someone over there could help you source a D/R transmission.

Or try www.ausubaru.com . They've always helped me out. Real subi gurus. Do a forum search first though cause most of the questions get asked over and over, so there may even be an answer for you already. They have a thread section just on engine/ gearbox swaps.

John

compactcamping

Explorer
Thanks for the additional info. At this point the expense of adding an early model dual-range for the minimal improvement in gearing isn't worth the cost to me.

In stock form my Outback Sport has been a great backroads explorer. For the most part ground clearance is my limiting factor when traveling off-pavement. What I really like is 27-29 mpg while towing my little trailer on the open road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears