Any CJ-8 Overlanders or postals ?

NOMADIC_LJ

Explorer
jscherb - I'm saving my coins for this top. I've been waiting for this ever since I saw your first mock-up. Can't wait to see what it looks like on my rig!!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Jim,

That is just drop dead gorgeous!! Really hope this aftermarket partner you are working with pans out!!

Thanks!

Jeff (Jim is my cousin :) )

PS: Due to the rules of this site, I'm not allowed to discuss the commercialization of this top here. Sorry.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
jscherb - I'm saving my coins for this top. I've been waiting for this ever since I saw your first mock-up. Can't wait to see what it looks like on my rig!!

I'm glad you like it. If you have a side view photo of your Jeep, I can save you the wait and do a photo/drawing mockup for you like this one I did of my LJ...

MyLJBlackonBlack.jpg

Send me a photo like this and I'll put the top on it for you. :)

Jeff

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Here's a few photos of the "van" version with no side windows. Again the disclaimer: the roof and bottoms of the side panels haven't been trimmed yet, nor has the rear door, so forgive the slight fitment issues with them - they'll fit perfectly when trimmed and completed.

TestFitV1.jpg

TestFitV2.jpg

TestFitV6.jpg

D

Deleted member 9101

Honestly, I think i like the no window look better.

jingram

Adventurer
Honestly, I think i like the no window look better.

I'm a bit torn... either way, looks a ton better than the rounder versions produced by Jeep for the LJ/TJ/YJ, etc. It totally transforms the look of the vehicle. Very impressed! A shame one won't be available for the JK. Perhaps Jeff would be able to solve all of those leakage issues people are always so upset about!

winkosmosis

Explorer
I think the Safari roof needs skylights made of translucent white plastic. Or even make the whole roof translucent white. You'd get a really nice feeling of openness, without direct sun and heat. UPS trucks have translucent fiberglass roof panels to illuminate the cargo area. You could market it as green, just like those diffusive skylights you can get for your house

http://www.furia.com/vf/log.cgi?topic=41

1x1_Speed_Craig

Wow, your Jeep is dirty, Jeff. Get it together, man! :sombrero:

The top looks great. Is there plenty of rear support at the rear corners of the top to drive regularly like that?

Craig

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Wow, your Jeep is dirty, Jeff. Get it together, man! :sombrero:
Craig,
I know, I know. And the photo doesn't show all the fiberglass dust I made from fitting the top. It is way overdue for a wash, but I've been too busy trying to get this top done.

The top looks great. Is there plenty of rear support at the rear corners of the top to drive regularly like that?

Craig
Yes, it's very sturdy. I can grab the side of the roof and rock the Jeep side to side about 6" on its springs without flexing the top. Front-to-back movement is prevented by the attachment to the windshield (which of course is attached to the roll bar), and side-to-side movement is prevented also by that and by the rear corners, which are about 12" wide and bolted to the tub and to the roof.

The only concern is the configuration in the last two photos without the door surrounds - the latches to the windshield are the only things securing the front of the roof - if it were to be driven without the surrounds I think some secondary and more secure method of fastening the roof to the windshield would be in order. The surrounds add a lot of strength, since the roof is bolted to the surrounds and the surrounds are bolted to the tub.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle