Any experience with Ember trailers?

rehammer81

With the recent crushing blow of the latest US off-road trailers being well out of my comfortable price range, I'm revisiting people's thoughts on the construction and "value" of the Ember trailers. Value is more with respect to what you are getting at the extreme prices of the high end models compared to Ember. Based on some YouTube factory tour video available out there, it appears the Embers are at least decently built with foam core and aluminum frame construction. They are certified in the Truma climate chamber down to 0*F. That insulation should also benefit climate control in warm SW environments too. You can also get 400aH of Battleborn lithium and 760W of solar with a 3000W inverter. Prices I'm seeing out on the web are falling under $65k. When staring at the latest crop of new US trailers starting at $90k+, what do people think?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Treefarmer

I've definitely had the same thoughts. Especially since it looks like two Embers for the price of one of some of the others. I'm having trouble locating any of the four wheel versions (ie., 201FBQ). has anyone found them on a lot yet? The only big red flag I see is the CCC of only 1,320lbs on the four wheel versions. That is low for "dual axle" trailer and says something about how robust the suspension/frame may be. While Ember will be able to handle your basic dirt/gravel roads, anyone here who considers themselves a real overlander (which I do not consider myself) should probably skip the Ember.

rehammer81

Even the 170 models in my opinion are getting too big for serious trail duty. Combine that with a full-size truck towing it and getting too crazy doesn't seem realistic. I just want to be able to get a little deeper off the regularly beaten path without it falling apart. I can then setup a base camp and take the truck to go explore for the day. The size of some of these latest rigs coming out, no matter how capable and high quality they are, makes me wonder if one could realistically use all that capability.

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
With the recent crushing blow of the latest US off-road trailers being well out of my comfortable price range, I'm revisiting people's thoughts on the construction and "value" of the Ember trailers. Value is more with respect to what you are getting at the extreme prices of the high end models compared to Ember. Based on some YouTube factory tour video available out there, it appears the Embers are at least decently built with foam core and aluminum frame construction. They are certified in the Truma climate chamber down to 0*F. That insulation should also benefit climate control in warm SW environments too. You can also get 400aH of Battleborn lithium and 760W of solar with a 3000W inverter. Prices I'm seeing out on the web are falling under $65k. When staring at the latest crop of new US trailers starting at $90k+, what do people think?

In another thread I believe I suggested you look at a few Winnebago options in their Micro Minnie line: https://www.winnebago.com/models/product/towables/travel-trailer/micro-minnie?floorplans=true . I just looked at some photos of the Ember trailers, their floor plans, etc., and scrolled through this thread. Given that their quality is seemingly no better than the average US-made trailer, I'd opt for the Winnebago options due to these factors:

- dual axles
- similar sizes, similar construction, better layouts (such as actually useable kitchens)
- much more widespread, easier to find, easier to re-sell (brand recognition), easier to get dealer support
- they've been around long enough to get over some common pain-points which will likely creep up with a new manufacturer like Ember
- similar prices

The only plus I see for the Embers (over the similar Winnebagos) is larger water tank capacities, and perhaps larger battery options from the factory. But batteries are easy to swap/increase.

rehammer81

In another thread I believe I suggested you look at a few Winnebago options in their Micro Minnie line: https://www.winnebago.com/models/product/towables/travel-trailer/micro-minnie?floorplans=true . I just looked at some photos of the Ember trailers, their floor plans, etc., and scrolled through this thread. Given that their quality is seemingly no better than the average US-made trailer, I'd opt for the Winnebago options due to these factors:

- dual axles
- similar sizes, similar construction, better layouts (such as actually useable kitchens)
- much more widespread, easier to find, easier to re-sell (brand recognition), easier to get dealer support
- they've been around long enough to get over some common pain-points which will likely creep up with a new manufacturer like Ember
- similar prices

The only plus I see for the Embers (over the similar Winnebagos) is larger water tank capacities, and perhaps larger battery options from the factory. But batteries are easy to swap/increase.
Are the Winnie's really similar construction? Dual Azdel layers with aluminum and foam core construction? That is walls, roof and floor. Zero degree Fahrenheit rated with testing to point to (Truma climate chamber) to back it up? Doesn't look like they have the beefier trailing arm suspension. Embers are definitely not a top of the line best of the best option and have had some QC and hiccups like you said. I don't love their layouts or interiors but they are functional. I do like the cargo area of their MSL or the idea of reconfiguring one of their bunk areas. They do have potential to be a good middle ground bang for the buck. I have not really ever put any effort into looking at the Winnie's and other run of the mill Indiana made trailers as they have such a bad reputation for quality.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I've seen some Ember trailers being towed on the highway here in Oregon. I was able to look at one at a dealer. It does appear to be a bit more suited for dragging down washboard than most of the usual offerings from the RV industry. I guess only time will tell. My wife and my interests would be for one of the smaller units like the 170 MRB and focused on dispersed camping on BLM & NFS lands. It has some features that fit the bill. I was attracted to it due to the suspension upgrade and in the belief that the structural integrity of the cabinetry is more robust. If I owned one, I'd likely remove the sofa in the front and leave the queen bed made up full time. Also remove the Jack-knife sofa to the left of the door and install a simple Lagun table set up with two seats. Disappointed with their having gone with a 12V frig vs LP. If I could, also ditch the AC, Awning and outside kitchen in the interest of reducing weight and cost except that is not likely to be feasible to order one that way. If I want to cook outside, I can haul out my 2 burner cook stove. My experience with awnings on truck campers is that they are more trouble than they are worth. Extremely wind sensitive making it unwise to leave unattended. I've come up with a relatively cheap alternative to provide a bit of shade from the sun when needed that is very quick to set up and take down.

While I think it's a step in the right direction, I get the feeling that they still don't get what many people are looking for when it comes to backroad camping. Too many amenities to mimic the feeling of not leaving home, which are not needed when camping in the boonies, that drive up cost and weight. TV's, AC, redundant cooking systems, bathrooms with "medicine cabinets" and refrigerators that depend on good solar or generator use when not hooked up to shore power. Solar can be sketchy if camped in heavily overcast weather and/or dense forest. Unfortunately, for me, it's 9ft tall at the sides and 10' 4" in the center with the AC, making it a deal breaker for parking under my carport next to my garage. I've owned a 1971 23ft Airstream for 17 years that fits nicely there, but have been exploring alternatives more suited for backroads for quite awhile. However, it seems that most all of the more box shaped trailers being built also have a much taller profile. Tearing the carport down and rebuilding to fit a new RV would cost thousands.

Lastly, regarding the price, the salesman shared that they are definitely seeing a slowdown due to the rising cost of fuel and interest rates. So, perhaps buyers will see a greater willingness to negotiate pricing moving forward than we have in the past two years with pandemic price premiums.

Definitely with you on the rugged off grid RV must have a Ranch house or tiny home interior issue. I get the RV park house thing.
But for the short stay get off the super highways, compact is preferable users. The house imitation furniture and ovens etc are just unwanted crap.
Hell even the GeoPros most buyers after a yr or two will tell you they would have been thrilled to buy it without the oven. More counter space and more flexible open floor plan.

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
Are the Winnie's really similar construction? Dual Azdel layers with aluminum and foam core construction? That is walls, roof and floor. Zero degree Fahrenheit rated with testing to point to (Truma climate chamber) to back it up? Doesn't look like they have the beefier trailing arm suspension. Embers are definitely not a top of the line best of the best option and have had some QC and hiccups like you said. I don't love their layouts or interiors but they are functional. I do like the cargo area of their MSL or the idea of reconfiguring one of their bunk areas. They do have potential to be a good middle ground bang for the buck. I have not really ever put any effort into looking at the Winnie's and other run of the mill Indiana made trailers as they have such a bad reputation for quality.

I'm sure some elements of their construction will be different from the Embers, but that's less important than how they perform in the real world. Every manufacturer will make claims that suggest their methods are better than everyone else. "Dual Azdel" here, "Composite Fibreglass" there, other marketing speak somewhere else. Unless you're planning a months-long expedition into the arctic, it really doesn't matter. Real world performance differences will likely be negligible, especially if you're camping for the 3-3.5 seasons.

The same goes for suspension differences. Look for the clearance you need (vs. the clearance marketing would have you believe you need), and components that are easily serviceable and replaceable. Trailing arm suspension will be more difficult to source/repair/replace than a traditional axle.

rehammer81

An interesting concept in my head is someone building the stout frame/suspension and box construction and then offering that up for people to build out themselves or hire out. Kind of like building out a van.

rehammer81

I'm sure some elements of their construction will be different from the Embers, but that's less important than how they perform in the real world. Every manufacturer will make claims that suggest their methods are better than everyone else. "Dual Azdel" here, "Composite Fibreglass" there, other marketing speak somewhere else. Unless you're planning a months-long expedition into the arctic, it really doesn't matter. Real world performance differences will likely be negligible, especially if you're camping for the 3-3.5 seasons.

The same goes for suspension differences. Look for the clearance you need (vs. the clearance marketing would have you believe you need), and components that are easily serviceable and replaceable. Trailing arm suspension will be more difficult to source/repair/replace than a traditional axle.
Fair points. I am searching for a reasonable balance of capability and quality and I'm willing to pay more for it. I have the means to afford plenty. I just don't see any value at the absurd prices we are seeing at the upper end. There has to be a reasonable balance here in the middle.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper

Here's a bit of info if it helps:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
An interesting concept in my head is someone building the stout frame/suspension and box construction and then offering that up for people to build out themselves or hire out. Kind of like building out a van.

I think the van build business will ultimately lead to this idea in trailers. Modular components you buy your box, you pick your bathroom component big, small, hidden cabinet whatever, it literally just slides in and gets tacked down. Bunk, bed whatever selection gets tossed in, cabinets, cooking, sink arrangement basic/professional chef whatever gets picked out and tacked down done.

rehammer81

Here's a bit of info if it helps:

Better construction then I expected but still quite a bit of wood being used. Especially that plywood floor. I don't know how familiar you are with the Ember construction. If you haven't seen the factory tour in YouTube, it's worth the watch to really see the construction. Again, not the best but a step up. These Winnie's do seem like another good option if you need/want to be down another price bracket where these Embers are currently falling. Again, the discussion we are all bantering about is where all these trailers SHOULD in our minds fall price wise. Admittedly, the using SHOULD is a lot like ASSUMING. :)

rehammer81

I think the van build business will ultimately lead to this idea in trailers. Modular components you buy your box, you pick your bathroom component big, small, hidden cabinet whatever, it literally just slides in and gets tacked down. Bunk, bed whatever selection gets tossed in, cabinets, cooking, sink arrangement basic/professional chef whatever gets picked out and tacked down done.
I think this makes sense. Especially for the people who are just looking at the interiors from a utilitarian standpoint and don't give two craps about how pretty and warm feeling it is inside and I get that. I know I don't go camping in nature to sit inside. That being said, my wife and I are at a place where we want a comfy bed, toilet, shower to squirt off and room to stand up and get dressed or chill for a bit if the weather goes to crap. Also, let's keep the temp inside at a reasonably comfortable temp to do those things no matter where we are or what season, within reason.

Reactions: TGK

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Better construction then I expected but still quite a bit of wood being used. Especially that plywood floor. I don't know how familiar you are with the Ember construction. If you haven't seen the factory tour in YouTube, it's worth the watch to really see the construction. Again, not the best but a step up. These Winnie's do seem like another good option if you need/want to be down another price bracket where these Embers are currently falling. Again, the discussion we are all bantering about is where all these trailers SHOULD in our minds fall price wise. Admittedly, the using SHOULD is a lot like ASSUMING. :)

The Minnie 2301 has the floorplan we like. We are not concerned with heading off road.
Your use case may differ, but this is what works for us.
This is our current trailer.
Screenshot 2022-09-01 150610.png

Edit: Not sure why, but I had to take a screenshot / snagit of this picture which was taken with an iPhone 8 because it kept telling me the phot was too large. Even though I resized it to the smallest available size....

Last edited:

rehammer81

The Minnie 2301 has the floorplan we like. We are not concerned with heading off road.
Your use cases may differ, but this is what works for us.
Absolutely then. If my desires didn't include regularly going off pavement, even if just an occasionally graded forest service road, I would not be focused on the this off-road niche market and the additional cost it carries. The bouncing and vibration of regular off pavement use though just kills the common American made travel trailer. Many will point out that you could just buy a few replacement trailers for the cost of these off-road offerings and they are not wrong. The caveat to that though is the ramifications of the catastrophic failure mid travels you have have to deal with. That's no fun and potentially dangerous. If regular off pavement is not your use case though then your options widen greatly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998