Any experience with Ember trailers?

Treefarmer

I think the van build business will ultimately lead to this idea in trailers. Modular components you buy your box, you pick your bathroom component big, small, hidden cabinet whatever, it literally just slides in and gets tacked down. Bunk, bed whatever selection gets tossed in, cabinets, cooking, sink arrangement basic/professional chef whatever gets picked out and tacked down done.
I'm not sure if it will work the same way (I'll be finding out more this Fall), but RKS is talking about a "modular" ordering process of some kind for the Motive that might do what you're describing: Start with the basic box and build out from there to your liking.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Absolutely then. If my desires didn't include regularly going off pavement, even if just an occasionally graded forest service road, I would not be focused on the this off-road niche market and the additional cost it carries. The bouncing and vibration of regular off pavement use though just kills the common American made travel trailer.
Lol, the regular use of a common American made travel trailers ON road kills them too.

I think every time we tow ours we find screws rolling around the floor, window valances that have fallen off, drawers open etc...

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
This one looks nice. Not crazy about the murphy bed... I know... 1st world problems, right?

My problem is when trailers start getting that expensive, I tend to think you're just a hop, skip and jump to a cabin. On land... Which will appreciate and I can pass down to my kids. Different strokes for different folks though.

rehammer81

This one looks nice. Not crazy about the murphy bed... I know... 1st world problems, right?

My problem is when trailers start getting that expensive, I tend to think you're just a hop, skip and jump to a cabin. On land... Which will appreciate and I can pass down to my kids. Different strokes for different folks though.
That one is either marked up or is optioned up or both. Starting MSRP for that model is $61k. I don't see mention of the Max Solar optional package either which is the most expensive option you can add and doesn't cost $10k. I have seen people mentioning there are not many of these dual axle models available out there yet though.

ed508fe5288c3ba3d54f92811023b230.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Absolutely then. If my desires didn't include regularly going off pavement, even if just an occasionally graded forest service road, I would not be focused on the this off-road niche market and the additional cost it carries. The bouncing and vibration of regular off pavement use though just kills the common American made travel trailer. Many will point out that you could just buy a few replacement trailers for the cost of these off-road offerings and they are not wrong. The caveat to that though is the ramifications of the catastrophic failure mid travels you have have to deal with. That's no fun and potentially dangerous. If regular off pavement is not your use case though then your options widen greatly.

I don’t think it matters what kind of trailer you go with. We used the super basic stock trailers to haul stock up logging roads because everything!!! I mean everything thats not welded on gets knocked loose. The best stock trailer everything thing was welded not a single screw or bolt and the only moving part rear door had welded pins in welded strapped gudgeons. The only un welded bolts were the lug nuts on the wheels lol.
Even the slightly more fancy stock trailer with a pass tru door at the front end the door latch broke off the first time we used it. For the next few years that door just had a rope holding it shut?.

All the windows in all of these RVs will rattle loose and leak getting towed down even typical logging roads. Absolutely ALL the fasteners will get shook loose. Hell the cheap ******** PEX water line stuff thats for stationary houses definitely won’t do well. Suspension? Mehh it will only delay the final outcome and not really by much given “hey I have $3000 suspension I’ll take it up there” ism will be greater than the guy rolling boring $1500 suspension that says na this is fine.. lol

rehammer81

I don’t think it matters what kind of trailer you go with. We used the super basic stock trailers to haul stock up logging roads because everything!!! I mean everything thats not welded on gets knocked loose. The best stock trailer everything thing was welded not a single screw or bolt and the only moving part rear door had welded pins in welded strapped gudgeons. The only un welded bolts were the lug nuts on the wheels lol.
Even the slightly more fancy stock trailer with a pass tru door at the front end the door latch broke off the first time we used it. For the next few years that door just had a rope holding it shut.

All the windows in all of these RVs will rattle loose and leak getting towed down even typical logging roads. Absolutely ALL the fasteners will get shook loose. Hell the cheap ******** PEX water line stuff thats for stationary houses definitely won’t do well. Suspension? Mehh it will only delay the final outcome and not really by much given “hey I have $3000 suspension I’ll take it up there” ism will be greater than the guy rolling boring $1500 suspension that says na this is fine.. lol
Lol! Well fine then. Hopefully I can delay the inevitable and get some better climate control inside in the meantime.

rehammer81

Rehammer81 I forget are you still looking or have you decided on a trailer?
Still window shopping and carefully tracking my options. Hoping to be back home in AZ by next spring where I can consider pulling the trigger. Current work location is not trailer storage friendly.

rehammer81

What are your top three?
Honest answer is it depends on the day.

Today the F-it, it's just money list I think would be:
-Kimberley Karavan
-Kimberley E3 Kruiser
-I guess X145 or Roamer X (grudgingly)
Not necessarily in a ranked order as there are features of each I really like. I need a mashup of them all. I don't even fathom rigs like the Bruder.

If I am being more financially reasonable (if you can say that shopping in this niche market):
-Ember 170/190 (no slides for me)
-I might also have to consider a pop top hybrid like the Dweller, OP15, etc but that isn't really what I want to invest this much in.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Pre pandemic I was down to Opus 15 and Mantis. Pandemic NP crush I bagged the idea we took our tent on a trailer to private property a couple of times due to massive crowds where we wanted to go. Several local dads went full on COVID RV nutz. Couple are rolling custom built awd/4x4 vans with bunks for 5 no joke. Others went Opus, and a few other trailers we see discussed a bunch here. A couple went typical bunk house RV etc.

All except the van guys have sold off the trailers. A couple are done, a few are changing up the trailer plan once prices come down. AII the trailer dads number 1 issue was space for stuff. All active families don’t just park and hang out in camp, they have hobbies, sports etc that tie into the camping. So they need more gear carrying ability than shoe storage. Their gear can be expensive so after thought of hey here’s a $100 rack for your $6000 in bikes slapped on to the outside of your trailer doesn’t cut it.

Ember has one odd duck BH / gear room trailer layout that was interesting

rehammer81

Pre pandemic I was down to Opus 15 and Mantis. Pandemic NP crush I bagged the idea we took our tent on a trailer to private property a couple of times due to massive crowds where we wanted to go. Several local dads went full on COVID RV nutz. Couple are rolling custom built awd/4x4 vans with bunks for 5 no joke. Others went Opus, and a few other trailers we see discussed a bunch here. A couple went typical bunk house RV etc.

All except the van guys have sold off the trailers. A couple are done, a few are changing up the trailer plan once prices come down. AII the trailer dads number 1 issue was space for stuff. All active families don’t just park and hang out in camp, they have hobbies, sports etc that tie into the camping. So they need more gear carrying ability than shoe storage. Their gear can be expensive so after thought of hey here’s a $100 rack for your $6000 in bikes slapped on to the outside of your trailer doesn’t cut it.

Ember has one odd duck BH / gear room trailer layout that was interesting
Yeah, Ember has that 191 MSL. That is the big cargo area with the movable bunks. I like that too. I would want them to do that without a slide and they really need to address their cargo capacity. At least half your cargo capacity is gone once the trailer is wet let alone anything other than pillows in that cargo space.

Alloy

With the recent crushing blow of the latest US off-road trailers being well out of my comfortable price range, I'm revisiting people's thoughts on the construction and "value" of the Ember trailers. Value is more with respect to what you are getting at the extreme prices of the high end models compared to Ember. Based on some YouTube factory tour video available out there, it appears the Embers are at least decently built with foam core and aluminum frame construction. They are certified in the Truma climate chamber down to 0*F. That insulation should also benefit climate control in warm SW environments too. You can also get 400aH of Battleborn lithium and 760W of solar with a 3000W inverter. Prices I'm seeing out on the web are falling under $65k. When staring at the latest crop of new US trailers starting at $90k+, what do people think?

They idea is great but to be done propeerly it shouldn't be on a RV production line.

Building it in the RV capital of NA should say enough.

Treefarmer

Yeah, Ember has that 191 MSL. That is the big cargo area with the movable bunks. I like that too. I would want them to do that without a slide and they really need to address their cargo capacity. At least half your cargo capacity is gone once the trailer is wet let alone anything other than pillows in that cargo space.

The CCC on the Embers (especially the four wheel models with only 1,320 lbs of CCC) is a big red flag for me. There's a guy on the web who is constantly claiming it's just due to the tires. I have disabused him of that opinion several times, but he keeps coming back with the same explanation. He's a sales guy. My second issue with Ember is the slide s well. It's the type that likes to break. At the Ember's price, I can deal with or fix the cheap plastics and laminates, but the low CCC and cheap slide prevent me from going the value route with Ember.

rehammer81

The CCC on the Embers (especially the four wheel models with only 1,320 lbs of CCC) is a big red flag for me. There's a guy on the web who is constantly claiming it's just due to the tires. I have disabused him of that opinion several times, but he keeps coming back with the same explanation. He's a sales guy. My second issue with Ember is the slide s well. It's the type that likes to break. At the Ember's price, I can deal with or fix the cheap plastics and laminates, but the low CCC and cheap slide prevent me from going the value route with Ember.
The tire argument should be pretty easy to void. What tires are on there and what is their max load rating? Then how much does the dry trailer weigh? Then account for how much weight you add with full tanks. I'm sure you know that. I agree the CCC, especially on the dual axle, is questionable. I'll be honest, what is typical for single axle trailers?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior